A Map Question

Let's talk about Gettysburg! Put your questions and comments here.
cliometrician
Reactions:

A Map Question

Post by cliometrician »

Just bought the Antietam game. When I click on the strategic map (is that the same thing as Courier Map?) all movement stops, unlike in SOW Gettysburg. That must be addressed here in the Forum, but I can't find it. What do I need to do to ensure movement continues as I have this map on the screen? Thanks.
"I may have fought on the side that was wrong, but I fought on the right side." John S. Mosby
norb
Reactions:

Re: A Map Question

Post by norb »

I am pretty sure that it stops in single player and continues to move in mp.
cliometrician
Reactions:

Post by cliometrician »

Thanks. I hope it keeps going in MP.....wish it could in solitaire just because I'm so used to it.
"I may have fought on the side that was wrong, but I fought on the right side." John S. Mosby
cliometrician
Reactions:

Post by cliometrician »

Re my recent map question. For some reason I thought it would apply just to Antietam, but found out differently when I tried Gettysburg. I play a lot of solitaire, and I really liked the feature that came in a patch allowing us to use the courier map to follow the progress of our troops if we wanted to. The command map will let us see where we'll end up, but I don't understand why the feature that allowed us to view the map while time continued was removed.

All I can think of is that some thought too much information was given away. That's not a good reason, but it's all I can think of at the moment.

Anyway, I hope this feature is restored in a future patch.

Thanks for a great game.
ADukes
Reactions:

Post by ADukes »

You're wrong. In SP it was always the same as it is now.
con20or
Reactions:

Post by con20or »

As for the units on your map, it sounds like you have your map visibility settings up too high, probably 'blank map. If you're playing couriers you probably do.

Try custom difficulty, set couriers to the level you want, and try a different map setting too 'all in sight' or lower. You should be able to see all your troops movements on the map then.
Last edited by con20or on Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cliometrician
Reactions:

Post by cliometrician »

Let me try to clarify. Here is what the SOW manual says: The second box from the left in the top tier of information boxes is the Map box. It is vital when playing a game to go quickly to the Map to orient
yourself on the battlefield. When you click on the Map box, the game will not Pause, but will continue to run. You may also access the Map by pressing the “M” key.

Before Patch 1.4, the game continued to run whether or not in SP or MP--it did not pause, just as the manual says. Now it pauses. I do not use the courier system.

So why does clicking the Map Box now pause the game?
born2see
Reactions:

Post by born2see »

I just tested this. The game does NOT pause when you click the Map Box or press "M" in SP. If the game is paused (by pressing the "P" key) and you press the Map Box then nothing happens but if you press the "M" key the game will still be paused.

This is with a clean Retail installation with no mods.

B
Last edited by born2see on Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Those in whose judgment I rely, tell me that I fought the battle splendidly and that it was a masterpiece of art.” - George McClellan to his wife describing the battle of Antietam
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

This is easily changed altering the gscreens.csv. Betcha got a mod running with the map checked to pause play.
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
Beef Stu
Reactions:

Post by Beef Stu »

yup just tested it myself. are you sure your not pausing the game and opening the map then? thats the only way i was ever able to bring up the map with the game paused.