Soldier Artwork - Native American?

This is where our experts try to teach you the very flexible modding system for our previous release - SOW Gettysburg and its add-ons. It's powerful, but dangerous. Post your tips and your questions.
Stand Watie
Reactions:

Soldier Artwork - Native American?

Post by Stand Watie »

Hello! I finally signed up for an account because I could not find the answer to my question.

I want to make custom soldiers (artwork), more specifically I want to make some Native American soldiers from the cavalry units. I have almost every piece of software that could possibly be needed at my disposal.

I've found the artwork that I want to replace, but it appears to me that the .dds images were first 3D images, and then later flattened for use in the game.

So the question is, what would be the best way for me to alter the .dds files in order to change the cavalry units into Native Americans?

Thanks!
"Let it not be said that we did nothing."
- Congressman Dr. Ron Paul
Martin James
Reactions:

Re: Soldier Artwork - Native American?

Post by Martin James »

That would be amazing Stand Watie. I've had a particular interest in the ACW in the Indian Territory for years now.

Honey Springs in July 1863 would be a nice divisional-level battle to fight, although there is not much agreement on the numbers involved for either side.

Wish I could help with your specific question, but I wish you luck with this project.

Martin
Stand Watie
Reactions:

Post by Stand Watie »

Wish I could help with your specific question, but I wish you luck with this project.

Martin
I've never messed with any 3d modeling (assuming 3d modeling to make soldiers?), so I will need all the luck I can get! haha

I have access to almost any software imaginable, on both Mac and PC, so if anyone knows a general direction I need to go in to make Native American cavalry units, please let me know.
Martin James
Reactions:

Post by Martin James »

where I could help is on OOB issues. I also have some information on flags used by the 5 civilised tribes.

Are you planning to do any sprites for US African-American troops? The 1st Kansas Col. Volunteers seem to have been one of the more effective Union regiments in the theatre, and distinguished itself at Honey Springs.

Martin
Stand Watie
Reactions:

Post by Stand Watie »

where I could help is on OOB issues. I also have some information on flags used by the 5 civilised tribes.
OOB and flags will definitely be needed. Thanks!

Are you planning to do any sprites for US African-American troops? The 1st Kansas Col. Volunteers seem to have been one of the more effective Union regiments in the theatre, and distinguished itself at Honey Springs.
I would definitely do any other soldier artwork requested once I can get the issue of creating soldiers from scratch resolved. Probably will be a lengthy process for sure!

If a developer or designer for this game could point me in the right direction, I can get this thing rollin'!

Thanks!
Crikey
Reactions:

Post by Crikey »

This is the guide for Norb's old game. http://www.madminutegames.com/MadMinute ... php?t=4728

Might provide some tips on getting started on 3d to 2d modelling. But Tim or Gunship are best placed to comment on this task for Sow.
Stand Watie
Reactions:

Post by Stand Watie »

Sweet! I'm now chasing this rabbit that you have let loose in front of me! Thanks!

In the meantime, I sure hope either, or both, of the two gentlemen will comment. Any help would be appreciated! I've been wanting to make Native American soldiers since my first days of playing Sid Meier's Gettysburg.
Martin James
Reactions:

Post by Martin James »

What sources are you planning to use for the uniforms Stand Watie? I'm not an expert on this, but I'm sure you're away that the 'Indian' troops were last in the queue for everything, including uniforms.

More work for you, but my feeling is that it would be fun snd also make historical sense to differentiate between the different tribes. For example I think you could make a strong case for Choctaw troops being much closer to other Confederate troops in clothing (and other ways) than say Seminoles.

Martin
Southern Son
Reactions:

Post by Southern Son »

Battle Flagg

The American Civil War in the Indian Territory
Contents
Introductions · The campaigns · Union forces – Organization, unforms, equipment & weapons of: 1st US Cavalry, 1st US Infantry, Jayhawkers (‘redles’ and ‘Pin Indians’), 3rd Wisconsin Cavalry, 2nd, 6th and 9th Kansas Cavalry, Union Indian Brigade (1st–3rd kansas Indian Home Guard), US colored Troops (1st and 2nd Kansas Colored Infantry) · Confederate Forces – Uniforms, native dress, equipment & weapons of: confederate Indian Division (the Five Civilized Tribes, plus Caddo & Osage battalions), Texas units (1st Partisanrangers, Welch’s Cavalry, 3rd, 9th and 29th Cavalry), Quantrill’s and Anderson’s Raiders · The ‘neutral’ tribes: Osage, Caddo, Tonkwana, Wichita, Comanche · Horses, saddlery, wagons · Artillery · Tactics · Conclusions
Stand Watie
Reactions:

Post by Stand Watie »

The flag seems like it would be simple enough I reckon. As for the soldiers, I would think the more traditional dress (seen on the two men standing) would stand out more.

The generals would have the blue jacket look.

I'm real excited to attempt this, I just hope someone has some advice that would prevent me from reinventing the wheel. Any additional information is welcomed!