Infantry

General Question/Answer/Announcement about NSD. We are a small independent game development team and we value our community. If you ask, we'll answer.
Ephrum
Reactions:

Re:Infantry

Post by Ephrum »

Your right hoistingman4, it is good to make suggestions. Thinking out loud, as it were.:)

And since this thread is on infantry......

One thing I would like to be able to do is, have an Assault Line formation for a brigade. Like the formation TC2M has, for a division.
OHIO UNIVERSITY
BOSTON
Reactions:

Post by BOSTON »

Ephrum wrote:
Your right hoistingman4, it is good to make suggestions. Thinking out loud, as it were.:)

One thing I would like to be able to do is, have an Assault Line formation for a brigade. Like the formation TC2M has, for a division.
When I first started using tc2m, I was picking at the red buttons trying to do just that, thought something was wrong with the game, it proved futile to me in hot circumstances, depending where the commander was. However, I would have liked the choice of using those commands for lesser commanders.

Regards, hoistingman4
HOISTINGMAN4

Drafted in Boston
Vonviper
Reactions:

Post by Vonviper »

Ya'll remember TC2M
and how moddable it was, if i'm not mistaking correct me if i'm wrong
but the same will somewhat apply here.
the goals are to release a good solid base foundation to build off of
much like the old TC2M team has down we could try and max out every part of the new game but that wouldn't leave much room for modders or leave goals for others to follow
i'm pretty sure the team still wants the community to join in and have some modding
fun just like always :)
when i first started modding TC2M i used to think stuff like how come this wasn't done and how come that wasn't done then it hit me the bar wasn't set at the ceiling for a reason. i'm sure some idea's may still follow...
Last edited by Vonviper on Thu Nov 27, 2008 1:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Two turn tables and a micro-phone
Ephrum
Reactions:

Post by Ephrum »

Vonviper wrote:
Ya'll remember TC2M
and how moddable it was, if i'm not mistaking correct me if i'm wrong
but the same will somewhat apply here.
the goals are to release a good solid base foundation to build off of
much like the old TC2M team has down we could try and max out every part of the new game but that wouldn't leave much room for modders or leave goals for others to follow
i'm pretty sure the team still wants the community to join in and have some modding
fun just like always :)
when i first started modding TC2M i used to think stuff like how come this wasn't done and how come that wasn't done then it hit me the bar wasn't set at the ceiling for a reason. i'm sure some idea's may still follow...
You make an excellent point Vonviper! And I'm glad you brought it up.
I'm not a modder, so I keep forgetting about leaving room for that!;)
OHIO UNIVERSITY
JC Edwards
Reactions:

Post by JC Edwards »

Vonviper is right. There will still be great things to come after the release of this game.
What may not be available in the beggining I'm sure will work it's way in as we roll along. I'm testing as much as I can, as often as I can.:)

As a player and TC2M Grog, I'm looking at every detail. Not once or twice; but over and over.
This team is going to give you as many "bells and whistles" as possible to start with.....and with room for more.;)

Alway's know and remember, Norb and the rest of us are not going to give you anything that's half-baked.:cheer:

Sarge
'The path that is not seen, nor hidden, should always be flanked'
Ephrum
Reactions:

Post by Ephrum »

Alway's know and remember, Norb and the rest of us are not going to give you anything that's half-baked.

Sarge
Of that, I have no doubt!B)

I feel kind of like when I was a kid, staring at the toy soldier sets in the Sears Christmas Catalog! I know I'm going to get them, but I have to wait until Santa Clause brings them on Christmas morning! Which on any given day, can feel like a million years away. So while I wait, I babble on and on about the toy soldiers!:)
OHIO UNIVERSITY
ironsight
Reactions:

Post by ironsight »

Vonviper, FWIW, i agree there should be some elbow room left for future modders.
HOWEVER, the mods at least in TC2M typically don't play as well as the stock battles.
Maybe this won't be the case with the new game!

JC, your bells 'n whistles and half-baked comments are good to hear!:)
Ephrum
Reactions:

Post by Ephrum »

ironsight wrote:
Ok, having regiments follow roads if implemented, i'd probably use now and then for the hell of it. But i gotta be honest, in the hundreds of battles i played, i never had a dyer need for that feature. Can any of you all explain the exact scenario where that feature would be needed? Regiments fight better when they're in sight of their Brigade and Commander.

What would be higher on my priority list would be to have unchained regiments truly unchained and not leaving their position to wander around the battlefield looking for their Brigade. A bug i'm sure in TC2M.
Actually, it would have been a handy feature for me when I played the 1st Jackson and 1st Banks Senarios'. And in Open Play, I would definitly use it. The main reason I use roads, is to keep the Fatigue level down. And if I'm sending a single regiment to a needed point, odds are, they're going to be fighting on arrival, so I don't want them tired. The desire some of us have for the feature, is just a reflection of our fighting styles. If the feature doesn't make it on the game, it won't be a dealbreaker for me.

As for detatched regiments, I just TC them. Then they won't go wondering around on their own. Again, just a personal preference.

Please don't misunderstand me ironsight. I'm not trying to be argumentative with you. I like discussing this stuff.:)
OHIO UNIVERSITY
JC Edwards
Reactions:

Post by JC Edwards »

Ephrum wrote:
Alway's know and remember, Norb and the rest of us are not going to give you anything that's half-baked.

Sarge
Of that, I have no doubt!B)

I feel kind of like when I was a kid, staring at the toy soldier sets in the Sears Christmas Catalog! I know I'm going to get them, but I have to wait until Santa Clause brings them on Christmas morning! Which on any given day, can feel like a million years away. So while I wait, I babble on and on about the toy soldiers!:)
Hmmmmm.......and I thought your babbling was just a normal, everyday occurrence.:lol: :P
'The path that is not seen, nor hidden, should always be flanked'
Ephrum
Reactions:

Post by Ephrum »

hoistingman4 wrote:
Ephrum wrote:

When I first started using tc2m, I was picking at the red buttons trying to do just that, thought something was wrong with the game, it proved futile to me in hot circumstances, depending where the commander was. However, I would have liked the choice of using those commands for lesser commanders.

Regards, hoistingman4
I don't think we're talking about the same buttons hoistingman4. The Red buttons are "Stance" buttons. I micro-manage too much to use those. I'm refering to the brigade "Formation" buttons. The Assault Formation, puts your brigades in Battleline Formation, and places them one behind the other, in depth. 3, 4, or even 6 lines deep. Depending how many brigades a given division has. Very effective for storming an enemy line.
OHIO UNIVERSITY