GB20 "To the Right" How Did You Beat it?

Stuck in a part of the game. Here's where the Grogs help the Newbies. Share your best strategies for winning and try someone elses.
born2see
Reactions:

GB20 "To the Right" How Did You Beat it?

Post by born2see »

For all of you who have won this scenario I'd like to know how you accomplished it. It's one of the few which you can't win by occupying an objective alone. As a tester it's always instructive to see the many different approaches folks take towards solving problems.

Thanks,

B
"Those in whose judgment I rely, tell me that I fought the battle splendidly and that it was a masterpiece of art.” - George McClellan to his wife describing the battle of Antietam
Marching Thru Georgia
Reactions:

Re: GB20 "To the Right" How Did You Beat it?

Post by Marching Thru Georgia »

In this scenario it is critical to occupy the objective behind the lines. It is unrealistic, but necessary. I don't think the scenario is winnable without doing so. Beyond that, just break up the rebel attacks on the right and left. The player has more than enough resources to absorb the initial onslaught, (let the rebs come to you). Then counter punch hard on the extreme left and roll up the flank. The attack on the right is fairly weak and not hard to fight off. For a few extra points, the player can go reb hunting on that side of the field.

Most corps level scenarios are easy to win. Just let the AI do the initial disposition of troops, then TC the brigades to place them exactly where needed. For historic play, the job is tougher. You must rely on the AI to do most of the heavy lifting. But the player is constantly riding from one flank to another to feed in the reserves to initiate the counter-attacks and keep the troops in a defensive position. I felt like Hancock on day 2. :blink: To keep the troops in their strong defensive positions, use the 'hold at all costs' command. The troops won't wander very far.
I can make this march and I will make Georgia howl.
born2see
Reactions:

Post by born2see »

Thanks for taking the time to respond, MTG. The challenge of modeling a historic scenario which is balanced and interesting to play fascinates me. Having been brought in at the beginning of Antietam I've been fortunate to see the process first hand.

B
"Those in whose judgment I rely, tell me that I fought the battle splendidly and that it was a masterpiece of art.” - George McClellan to his wife describing the battle of Antietam
Marching Thru Georgia
Reactions:

born2see wrote:
The challenge of modeling a historic scenario which is balanced and interesting to play fascinates me. Having been brought in at the beginning of Antietam I've been fortunate to see the process first hand.
Personally, I don't think the point system has much realistic value. I do play the scenarios, but ignore the whether the point totals match the sum needed for a 'major victory.' Instead I judge my performance on whether I've achieved the necessary objective, inflicted significant damage on the enemy and most importantly, whether I still have an intact command at the end. I don't consider Pyrrhic victories a success. But you'll never get those stars playing this way.

Many of the scenarios are quite good. They present the player with interesting tactical problems. Hats off to their creators! Case in point, I just started playing the Pipe Creek scenarios. The 1st one is a brilliantly constructed. It's a simple problem, take the high ground from the enemy. There are probably many ways to lose, but the winning solution is classic; first an artillery bombardment, then crush the center. Lee would be proud. It also illustrates the futility of a flank counter-assault in these circumstances. Once the enemy center dissolves and the high ground is won, the Union flanking maneuver across the low ground is futile. No doubt, this is what Napoleon was thinking at Waterloo.
Little Powell
Reactions:

Post by Little Powell »

Case in point, I just started playing the Pipe Creek scenarios. The 1st one is a brilliantly constructed. It's a simple problem, take the high ground from the enemy. There are probably many ways to lose, but the winning solution is classic; first an artillery bombardment, then crush the center. Lee would be proud. It also illustrates the futility of a flank counter-assault in these circumstances. Once the enemy center dissolves and the high ground is won, the Union flanking maneuver across the low ground is futile. No doubt, this is what Napoleon was thinking at Waterloo.
Thanks MTG. Like others, PC01 is a very reactive scenario. The decisions you make, the places you decide to attack, will affect the play of the scenario drastically. Not an overly difficult scenario, but you really have to think things out or those Yankees will bite you in the butt. :)

It was a blast designing the Pipe Creek scenarios because we weren't limited by historical accuracy. It was all up the air and we made decisions based on what the commanders most likely would have done in that situation. The result; it's up to the player to decide if Meade's Pipe Creek line would have worked or not, but he was covering so much ground, I personally believe Bobby Lee would have had a real good chance had the battle occurred there.
Last edited by Little Powell on Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
born2see
Reactions:

Post by born2see »

OK. I fess up. My best score on GB20 is 6685. Close but no cigar. I just played it again and cleared the field but still only got 6005.

There's lots of Generals out there, all of whom had to beat this scenario to get their Stars; I could really use some help from you guys.

For those of you who've played it, you know there's a rear objective but it's only worth 3750 of the 7000 you need. However if you lose it and get it back then the points double. I've been tempted to hang back, let the Rebs take it, and then drive them off for the points. Gamey but it might work.

I'd appreciate your input. It's the only one I have left to beat.

Thanks,

B
JC Edwards
Reactions:

Post by JC Edwards »

Want them Stars eh? I'll make you see stars! :evil: :laugh: :P
'The path that is not seen, nor hidden, should always be flanked'
Hancock the Superb
Reactions:

Post by Hancock the Superb »

I believe the key to this scenario is gaining the defensive ground in front of your divisions. I believe that there is a significant fenceline and stonewall that are very important in attaining (quite far to the front), which will improve your position significantly. The rest is just defeating each incoming division and then counter-attacking on the left flank when the oppurtunity arrises, so you can free up troops to move to Big Round Top, which is attacked by Hood and McLaws towards the end of the fight.
Hancock the Superb
born2see
Reactions:

Post by born2see »

Thanks. I'll try that in a little while. I didn't think to help out on RT even though I got a courier message asking for it.

I'll let you know.

B
Marching Thru Georgia
Reactions:

born2see wrote:
I could really use some help from you guys.
I think McClellan said that. :laugh:

If you beat the scenario "Sickles Stays Home", you should not find this one any harder. Set up on good defensive ground on your left. Make sure they stay there. Move the battery of napoleons to the front line, just where you would expect to find them in a real battle. Defend. When the enemy appears weakened, attack their extreme right. As you build pressure there, their center will weaken and then it is time to counter attack there. While this part of the battle is going on, send some troops to help out on LRT and the right flank of it. The rebel attack isn't very strong, so it a good way to garner some easy points. I think a brigade should do it. By the time you receive a request for help on BRT, you should be mostly done with the attack on your left. You should have enough points by then, but now you can really show off your command abilities. Shift troops to BRT and let the rebels hammer away at you. When they are spent, sweep in from the right, (you still have those troops on LRT don't you?), and run them off the hill.

This is a corps level command, so timing is everything. You need to 'feel' the rhythm of the battle. When it feels right, punch back. Those routed rebels really add to the point total. This scenario is the Civil War equivalent of Ali's rope-a-dope. Good luck, George. :)