Help -On to the Round Tops

Stuck in a part of the game. Here's where the Grogs help the Newbies. Share your best strategies for winning and try someone elses.
BGLaw4SC
Reactions:

Re: Help -On to the Round Tops

Post by BGLaw4SC »

[attachment]C:\fakepath\screen0012.bmp[/attachment]
Finally beat it on the 7th try! Thanks to the good words found here.

Took the advice found in the older thread. Anderson and Robertson took the Den while Benning and Sheffield made a beeline to BRT. Sheffield swung all the way around the big rocks Covering Latham and Riley's artillery batteries. Latham's got shot up really bad, but the canister helped at the right time.

I pretended that the Wheatfield did not exist. Let McLaws get it! If he can...

General Benning was even so kind to provide a panorama of the battlefield atop his perch on LRT.

BG Evander Law is my dawg! 3965.9 points! Now the Yankees can say, "I fought the Law and the Law won."

I love this game. Been wargaming this battle since Avalon Hill's Gettysburg way back when.
Fondly remember and hold in high esteem: SPI's Terrible Swift Sword, OSG/AH's Devil's Den, SM's Gettysburg/Antietam, Madminute's CWBR and TC2M.

Now we have this masterpiece. Bravo NSD!
BGLaw4SC
Reactions:

Post by BGLaw4SC »

Finally beat it on the 7th try! Thanks to the good words found here in the forum.

Took the advice found in the older thread. Anderson and Robertson took the Den while Benning and Sheffield made a beeline to BRT. Sheffield swung all the way around the big rocks Covering Latham and Riley's artillery batteries. Latham's got shot up really bad, but the canister helped at the right time.

General Benning was even so kind to provide a panorama of the battlefield atop his perch on LRT.
[attachment:1]C:\fakepath\screen0012.bmp[/attachment]

BG Evander Law is my dawg! 3965.9 points! Now the Yankees can say, "I fought the Law and the Law won."

I love this game. Been wargaming this battle since Avalon Hill's Gettysburg way back when.
Fondly remember and hold in high esteem: SPI's Terrible Swift Sword, OSG/AH's Devil's Den, SM's Gettysburg/Antietam, Madminute's CWBR and TC2M.

BGLaw4SC
Reactions:

Post by BGLaw4SC »

con20or
Reactions:

Post by con20or »

Congrats:)
Tony1961
Reactions:

Post by Tony1961 »

I don't get this scenario. On Normal setting I captured and held Devils Den, Little Round Top and the Wheatfield, lost none of my commanders, and yet I still lost! What more do I need to do? My score was 1813.
con20or
Reactions:

Post by con20or »

Did you have many units rout? Score penalties for that.

Also - make sure you have the OBJ activated all the time, it's easy for them to switch off if the unmber of troops required isnt met, or an officer moves just outside the radius.
gunship24
Reactions:

Post by gunship24 »

This scenario i found very hard, the problem is it is so hard to force the Union off the objectives, all three of em, in quick time. There seems to be a variant where the Union attacks so they leave the objectives and then you can beat them in the open before occupying the objectives. thats the only way i could win this one.
Gerry
Reactions:

Post by Gerry »

With all due respect to the developers, I think this scenario leaves a bit to be desired as to design. I have played SOW G and Ann Ed for some time. I am able on a normal OOB for this scenario to capture and hold LRT for almost the entire second half of the time period, and hold DD for most of the time period. It seems the VP setup for BRT is, in a word, weird, because sending a brigade there and taking it doesn't seem at all worth it.

Now, in the battle, if Law had taken BRT, gaining intelligence as to the entire battlefield, and then taken LRT and held it strongly for an hour by 5:30PM, we'd be living in a much different nation. So, yes, winning this scenario according to its rules seems ... I don't know the word.

Respectfully,

Gerry
o/