Help -On to the Round Tops

Stuck in a part of the game. Here's where the Grogs help the Newbies. Share your best strategies for winning and try someone elses.
Ironhand_13
Reactions:

Help -On to the Round Tops

Post by Ironhand_13 »

I've been playing this scenario for about two weeks and the best I can get is 710. Usually I'm at a negative number!
I've tried just about everything I can imagine, even letting the game play itself without issuing any orders (I was at -150 in seconds...unbelievable), or totally micromanaging everything and placing things where they should be.
In the past I've taken Devil's Den and the Wheatfield and held them both (Confederate flag in the icon) for about 15 minutes, but still ended up barely in the positive score. I've taken the Big Roundtop first then gone either to the Little Roundtop or Devil's Den (or both!) -they were both disasters as far as the score was concearned. I've massed everyting to the Den and that was a major killing zone- single line, double, reserves, you name it.
What the heck am I doing wrong?? Help!
born2see
Reactions:

Re: Help -On to the Round Tops

Post by born2see »

What level are you playing on?

I was able to win it by sending two brigades to LRT and two to the DD. Once I'd taken LRT I left one brigade there and moved the other to support the the two at DD. I never bothered with RT or the WF. That was on Normal.

I'm sure others will have different and more detailed methods of beating this scenario.

Here is another thread on the same topic.

http://www.norbsoftdev.net/index.php?op ... =124#33145

B
Last edited by born2see on Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Those in whose judgment I rely, tell me that I fought the battle splendidly and that it was a masterpiece of art.” - George McClellan to his wife describing the battle of Antietam
gunship24
Reactions:

Post by gunship24 »

As you cann see from the thread I also had some issues and could only win with the variant where the Union attacks from the start rather than sitting at Devils Den.
Last edited by gunship24 on Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
born2see
Reactions:

Post by born2see »

gunship24 wrote:
As you can see from the thread I also had some issues and could only win with the variant where the Union attacks from the start rather than sitting at Devils Den.
Saved games are my friend and once I got a favorable variant I never looked back.

To make things even more 'interesting', this is a carry over scenario for GB11 "We Want Those Guns". Let me just say this: Anderson's brigade is very important for winning GB11 and enters it with whatever strength it has after GB07.

B
Last edited by born2see on Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Those in whose judgment I rely, tell me that I fought the battle splendidly and that it was a masterpiece of art.” - George McClellan to his wife describing the battle of Antietam
KG_Soldier
Reactions:

Post by KG_Soldier »

Baldwin simply bared his chest and the higher power awarded him maximum points.
Ironhand_13
Reactions:

Post by Ironhand_13 »

To make things even more 'interesting', this is a carry over scenario for GB11 "We Want Those Guns". Let me just say this: Anderson's brigade is very important for winning GB11 and enters it with whatever strength it has after GB07.

B
Interesting...
FYI- I play at Normal, and if it matters AI Agressive at 0 and AI Morale at 0 as well. I just looked at it, and haven't changed it since I first got the game. Maybe I changed something there?
Last edited by Ironhand_13 on Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
born2see
Reactions:

Post by born2see »

Ironhand_13 wrote:
FYI- I play at Normal, and if it matters AI Agressive at 0 and AI Morale at 0 as well. I just looked at it, and haven't changed it since I first got the game. Maybe I changed something there?

Those are stock settings. It's possible something changed but I doubt it. If you're not sure, reset your options back to Default. I think you're forced to keep trying until you finally beat it. The board is full of posts by people who beat a particular scenario by sheer persistence. Do a search on the East Cavalry scenarios and you'll see what I mean.

The designers will tell you they were designed to be accurate, not easy. That's why if you beat them all you get those General's Stars.

Like I said above, save early and often. That way if something doesn't work you can try something else without having to start over from the beginning.

B
Stand Watie
Reactions:

Post by Stand Watie »

Finally beat this one! I think it was my 6 or 7th attempt.

This time I did not bother with BRT or LRT, and went directly for Devil's Den and the Wheat Field. I pushed past the WF and captured almost all the Union artillery that was there, then pulled them back to WF.

I held the WF and DD until the end. I think the key for me on this go round was the artillery. Managed to drive back the Union Infantry into the brigades that the user does not control. Slaughtered the mess out of some Yanks!

Only a minor victory, but I'll take it!
"Let it not be said that we did nothing."
- Congressman Dr. Ron Paul
BGLaw4SC
Reactions:

Post by BGLaw4SC »

Image[attachment:1]

Finally beat it on the 7th try! Thanks to the good words found here.

Took the advice found in the older thread. Anderson and Robertson took the Den while Benning and Sheffield made a beeline to BRT. Sheffield swung all the way around the big rocks Covering Latham and Riley's artillery batteries. Latham's got shot up really bad, but the canister helped at the right time.

I pretended that the Wheatfield did not exist. Let McLaws get it! If he can...

General Benning was even so kind to provide a panorama of the battlefield atop his perch on LRT.

BG Evander Law is my dawg! 3965.9 points! Now the Yankees can say, "I fought the Law and the Law won."

I love this game. Been wargaming this battle since Avalon Hill's Gettysburg way back when.
Fondly remember and hold in high esteem: SPI's Terrible Swift Sword, OSG/AH's Devil's Den, SM's Gettysburg/Antietam, Madminute's CWBR and TC2M.

Now we have this masterpiece. Bravo NSD!
Last edited by BGLaw4SC on Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
BGLaw4SC
Reactions:

Post by BGLaw4SC »

[attachment]C:\fakepath\screen0012.bmp[/attachment]
Finally beat it on the 7th try! Thanks to the good words found here.

Took the advice found in the older thread. Anderson and Robertson took the Den while Benning and Sheffield made a beeline to BRT. Sheffield swung all the way around the big rocks Covering Latham and Riley's artillery batteries. Latham's got shot up really bad, but the canister helped at the right time.

I pretended that the Wheatfield did not exist. Let McLaws get it! If he can...

General Benning was even so kind to provide a panorama of the battlefield atop his perch on LRT.

BG Evander Law is my dawg! 3965.9 points! Now the Yankees can say, "I fought the Law and the Law won."

I love this game. Been wargaming this battle since Avalon Hill's Gettysburg way back when.
Fondly remember and hold in high esteem: SPI's Terrible Swift Sword, OSG/AH's Devil's Den, SM's Gettysburg/Antietam, Madminute's CWBR and TC2M.

Now we have this masterpiece. Bravo NSD!