Kriegsspiel Review

Threads discussing NSD news items from the front page.
norb
Reactions:

Kriegsspiel Review

Post by norb »

[article=link]149[/article]
Amish John
Reactions:

Re: Kriegsspiel Review

Post by Amish John »

"We are also working on the next major version of the engine, throwing in lots of great features, but a huge focus on performance, this will come some times after the map pack and will also include another major Civil War battle. We will be putting in all the features that we have wanted to do for years. More than likely it will include battle replay for multi-player and single-player battles among other things.

Norb"

Do you intend that the above mentioned new features and performance improvements planned for the next version of the game engine will be able to be implemented into the current SOWGB engine?
Last edited by Amish John on Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
You can get farther with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone.
born2see
Reactions:

Post by born2see »

Amish John wrote:
Do you intend that the above mentioned new features and performance improvements planned for the next version of the game engine will be able to be implemented into the current SOWGB engine?
Uhh... No.

B
Last edited by born2see on Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Those in whose judgment I rely, tell me that I fought the battle splendidly and that it was a masterpiece of art.” - George McClellan to his wife describing the battle of Antietam
Amish John
Reactions:

Post by Amish John »

Amish John wrote:
Uhh... No.

B
Sorry to hear that. Being a Gettysburg fanatic, I'll be sad to see that SOWGB won't be able to be upgraded to take advantage of some of those planned improvements.
You can get farther with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone.
born2see
Reactions:

Post by born2see »

Amish John wrote:
Sorry to hear that. Being a Gettysburg fanatic, I'll be sad to see that SOWGB won't be able to be upgraded to take advantage of some of those planned improvements.
I leave it to one of the SOWGB Elders to explain it in more detail.

B
"Those in whose judgment I rely, tell me that I fought the battle splendidly and that it was a masterpiece of art.” - George McClellan to his wife describing the battle of Antietam
Little Powell
Reactions:

Post by Little Powell »

It's all actually still under discussion how were going to handle the next major version. Maybe Norb can elaborate more but I wouldn't completely rule out implementing the performance improvements for GB.
35th Georgia
Reactions:

Post by 35th Georgia »

I don't mind paying for another game or add on, as all the other stuff I have has went by the wayside except for SH4. I'm a die hard civil war buff and will probably buy as long as you make it.
"To walk into to almost certain death is insane,to do it with honor is heroic."
norb
Reactions:

Post by norb »

At some point we have to move forward. We have been adding new content and new features to SOWGB for over a year now and it's time to look ahead. Our focus right now is on the next version of the engine. How that backfits is not something we can currently consider, it would only hamper our move forward. Setting limitations on where we are going. When we reach the goal, have everything in that we want, then we'll see how it backfits or maybe forward fits.

It's a struggle on how to keep funding the effort to create the games, while remaining loyal to the community. We aren't experts and will continue to do the best we can. But I think everyone wants to see some of the trickier features, and to do those we have to start with a blank slate and not worry about how to backfit them into the existing codebase.

In the review I was speaking about a product that is more than likely over a year away. I'm enjoying myself, getting time to add the features that I really have wanted for a long time without worrying about it breaking anything that's in there. When we reach the goal, we'll worry about what to do with the GB content, because there's no one that won't want to see the GB content running with improvements, including us.
Michael Slaunwhite
Reactions:

Post by Michael Slaunwhite »

Hi.

I can only speak for myself, so here it goes.

I pretty much knew that a new engine build had to be eventually looked at, and I am all for it. I don't see this a threatening the game which is here now, I just see something very cool on the horizon for NSD, and I will support Norb, and team for as long as I can. :)

So, any ideas you folks like to talk about out loud, or is this all going to be hush hush?

Cheers guys, and I think it's a good move.
Last edited by Michael Slaunwhite on Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Little Powell
Reactions:

Post by Little Powell »

Hi.

So, any ideas you folks like to talk about out loud, or is this all going to be hush hush?
Our plans are set but we don't like to make announcements until we are in beta testing or at least soon to be.

There's still plenty of cool stuff to enjoy until then. There's Pipe Creek, I plan to update the Bonus Scenarios, and Rebbugler is always releasing exciting mods. :)