Bugles & Flags XIX

This is where our experts try to teach you the very flexible modding system for our previous release - SOW Gettysburg and its add-ons. It's powerful, but dangerous. Post your tips and your questions.
RebBugler
Reactions:

Re: Bugles & Flags XVIII

Post by RebBugler »

From a purely graphical point of view Reb, I prefer the left version.

Thanks for all the amazing work on this project!

David(jolly)
It appears that that choice was an older issue for the Army of the Cumberland. This new link is clearing things up for Antietam Union flag designations:
https://www.minecreek.info/headquarters ... tomac.html

Information for 1862 AOP flag designations is still sketchy as it only includes designations for four corps. Probably won't try to emulate the corps level anyway because it requires two flags on one staff. Also, can't represent the regimental level either because it requires three flags to be displayed, example below #4. Still, at least the division and brigade levels can be integrated as explained in the article and pictured below.
AOP Flag Designations 1862.jpg
AOP Flag Designations 1862.jpg (97.04 KiB) Viewed 266 times
And since Divinci touted them, I'll give these new flag additions that "Texture-Like-Cloth-Look". :)
Last edited by RebBugler on Thu May 17, 2018 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

Update, version 18.52, May 20th, 2018

- HD upgrade, sixteen CSA flags replaced that are called from the Red River Campaign OOB
Sets 13-14 West.jpg
Sets 13-14 West.jpg (245.05 KiB) Viewed 265 times
Sets 15-16 West.jpg
Sets 15-16 West.jpg (201.29 KiB) Viewed 265 times
Before and After, about time these uglies were replaced
Battery B1 comp.jpg
Battery B1 comp.jpg (209.52 KiB) Viewed 265 times
- Four redesigned replacements of recently upgraded flags
Replacements GB.jpg
Replacements GB.jpg (97.11 KiB) Viewed 265 times
Planning on finishing out the 1864 western flags, including the addition of the 'designating flags' for the VIII Corps, before going back and finishing the 'designating flags' for Antietam as discussed earlier.
Jolly
Reactions:

Post by Jolly »

Absolutely gorgeous work Reb!
Thank you for this continuing immense piece of work.

David
Pop1
Reactions:

Post by Pop1 »

Hi RebBugler,
I think I have found a problem with the toolbar when playing at the Bde level.
I have returned to the SOWGB games and wanted to play some scenarios and sandbox games at the Bde level (I set up a Div or Corps games but then play as a Bde Commander). I have B&F XVIII (and all other versions back to XV).

Using XVIII when the FORMATIONS button is active the problem occurs, all is ok with the More Commands options and also when playing at Divisional level.
I keep all of my old mods so I reloaded the Bugles and Flags mod XVIII back to XV until I got a working toolbar. It was when I loaded B&F XV I realised what the problem was.
The buttons in B&F XV are underneath those on B&F XVI to XVIII (the same version of the toolbar is used in all of these) when the FORMATIONS button is selected. This results in the following buttons being affected:

Button Actual Result
Halt Ldr left wheel
Use Roads Ldr right wheel
Charge Move to left flank
Retreat Move to right flank
Ldr halt All units halt
Ldr use roads All units double quick run
Advance Oblique left
Fall back Oblique right
Advance to cover Lie (sic) down
Advance 50 Rise up
Advance 100 About face
Advance 50, ldr remain ok
Advance 100, ldr remain only advances 50

You can see the buttons behind the overlay, and with carful positioning of the cursor you can see which commands are activated.
I will attach a few screenshots in the next post (if I can remember how to do it) to illustrate the above. Pop1
Pop1
Reactions:

Post by Pop1 »

Hi RebBugler,

having posted I see that the tabluation is not very clear. When reading "Button" and "Actual Result" please read in two columns.

Here (I hope) are some screenshots to illustrate the problem.

The attachment 01-Formationsbutton-problemwithdoubleoverlayofXVbuttons.jpg is no longer available
The attachment 01-XVoverlayproblem-behindLdruseroadsthereisadoublequickrunbutton.jpg is no longer available
The attachment 01-XVoverlayproblem-behinduseroadsthereisrightwheelbutton.jpg is no longer available
The attachment 01-XVoverlayproblem-behindHaltthereisaleftwheelbutton.jpg is no longer available
Attachments
01-XVoverlayproblem-behindHaltthereisaleftwheelbutton.jpg
01-XVoverlayproblem-behindHaltthereisaleftwheelbutton.jpg (90.42 KiB) Viewed 311 times
01-XVoverlayproblem-behinduseroadsthereisrightwheelbutton.jpg
01-XVoverlayproblem-behinduseroadsthereisrightwheelbutton.jpg (91.78 KiB) Viewed 311 times
01-XVoverlayproblem-behindLdruseroadsthereisadoublequickrunbutton.jpg
01-XVoverlayproblem-behindLdruseroadsthereisadoublequickrunbutton.jpg (92.93 KiB) Viewed 311 times
01-Formationsbutton-problemwithdoubleoverlayofXVbuttons.jpg
01-Formationsbutton-problemwithdoubleoverlayofXVbuttons.jpg (520.48 KiB) Viewed 311 times
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

Pop1

Pretty sure these issues are caused by conflicting B&F toolbars. Only one can be used at a time! And, I can't stress enough the importance of using the latest version...Presently posted, as some previous versions have issues. Please delete or uncheck any previous versions and report back. Also make sure B&F is prioritized below all other enabled mods, this insures that all its functions work as designed.

Thanks for this detailed report, and Welcome Back to our NSD Battleland, where continuous Modifications and established MP teams keep these games alive and well. :)
Pop1
Reactions:

Post by Pop1 »

Hi RebBuglar,

I only have one version of the toolbar loaded (other versions in and "Old Mods" folder), however I always had the B&F mod as one of the first things loaded. I am using version XVIII.

I have moved it to the bottom of the mod list as you suggest and this seems to have solved the problem. Thank you for your help, and also for the great work on the B&F mod and other you are involved with.

Glad to be back and playing SOWGB again.
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

Update, version 18.65, June 4th, 2018

- HD upgrade, sixteen CSA flags replaced that are called from the Red River Campaign OOB
Sets 17-18 West.jpg
Sets 17-18 West.jpg (230.3 KiB) Viewed 264 times
Sets 19-20 West.jpg
Sets 19-20 West.jpg (221.6 KiB) Viewed 264 times
Before and After Comparisons...
Texas 20th comp.jpg
Texas 20th comp.jpg (152.51 KiB) Viewed 264 times
Texas 9th Cavalry comp.jpg
Texas 9th Cavalry comp.jpg (314.66 KiB) Viewed 264 times
- Incorporation of Mip Maps (mipmapping)

MIP mapping (also sometimes spelled as mipmapping) is a technique where an original high-resolution texture map is scaled and filtered into multiple resolutions within the texture file...

Another definition and link:
in computer graphics, mipmaps (also MIP maps) or pyramids are pre-calculated, optimized sequences of images, each of which is a progressively lower resolution representation of the same image. The height and width of each image, or level, in the mipmap is a power of two smaller than the previous level.
Mip Maps comp.jpg
Mip Maps comp.jpg (57.42 KiB) Viewed 264 times
Replacement Set3.jpg
Replacement Set3.jpg (97.33 KiB) Viewed 264 times
Mipmapping has saved the day for the High-Resolution flags. No longer do they shimmer and distort at varying distances, they simply fade away, realistically. Another upside to Mipmapping is performance gain, according to what I've read. Still, by my testing, I'm only seeing a slight gain. Only downside I see is bulk, as seen by the download size. However, in this age of terabit storage and fast download speeds, for most folks this downside is negligible.

At least two more flag upgrades coming, along with a better attitude about making them, because their end results are far more realistic looking now, thanks to Mipmapping.
Last edited by RebBugler on Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jolly
Reactions:

Post by Jolly »

Thanks again Reb!

I used mipmapping on the DDS buildings in the Antietam v2 graphics update which really improved them as you zoomed in or out.

Cheers

David(jolly)
Last edited by Jolly on Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

XVIII Update, version 18.75, June 15th, 2018

- HD upgrade, three CSA flags replaced, plus one new, that are called from the Red River Campaign OOB
- Twelve new USA flags called from the Red River Campaign OOB
- New sandbox OOB, OOB_SB_Red_River_Campaign B&F. Still a WIP until all RRC flags are finished and added.
Presently using this for flag testing, it should make a nice addition to sandbox play due to its 'small armys' feature and being well balanced: USA 23800 to CSA 22000 troop strengths.
Sets 21-22 West.jpg
Sets 21-22 West.jpg (204.39 KiB) Viewed 263 times
Sets 23-24 West.jpg
Sets 23-24 West.jpg (158.26 KiB) Viewed 263 times
Only edited the 'selected' mode of the US Nationals, toned down the brightness. Brightness was also an issue with the CS flags...toned down and fixed, least in my minds eye.
Replacements Set4.jpg
Replacements Set4.jpg (76.17 KiB) Viewed 263 times
The Union forces for the RRC mod are a bit complicated as the 'Army of the Gulf' at this time consisted of attached units from varying sources. I think I've got a handle on it with the XVI and XIX Corps 'Designating Flags' coming next. Then one last set will be the pre-Badges 'Designating Flags' which will finish the XIII Corps (HQ and Quartermaster flags shown above) which never was assigned a Badge. This last complete set of 16 should also cover and finish the Union 'Designating Flags' for Antietam.
Last edited by RebBugler on Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:27 am, edited 1 time in total.