Bugles & Flags XIX

This is where our experts try to teach you the very flexible modding system for our previous release - SOW Gettysburg and its add-ons. It's powerful, but dangerous. Post your tips and your questions.
Davinci
Reactions:

Re: Bugles & Flags XVIII

Post by Davinci »

Neat history lesson we've all learned (or at least me) about the 1862 US designating flags. Now we can bash other Civil War games that tout historical accuracy for not displaying them accurately, or at all. :lol:
"Reb" - I bet that you would have never imagined that messing with the Flags ten years ago, that you would still be Modding them today!

Its sort of amazing how editing flags would teach you how to use Paint.net, Modify OOB's, Master the csv files, and learn quite a lot about how many of those "Dang-Red-Flags" that really did exist.

davinci
The only true logic is that, there is no true logic!
Jolly
Reactions:

Post by Jolly »

Thank you so much for this magnificent 'opus' Reb.

The sad thing is that there will be no more updates to look forward to! ;)

Or maybe not? ! :)

Words fail as to my appreaciation and enjoyment of this.

David(jolly)
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

Update, version 18.97, August 29th, 2018

- The spiked finial used for all 26 if the US regimental flags has been replaced by a more historically accurate version
US Regt Finial.jpg
US Regt Finial.jpg (34.43 KiB) Viewed 874 times

- Addition of twenty-two new combination US National and Regimental flags ('NatRegt' designation)

This update may prove to be just the finial upgrade depending on more testing and user feedback. The NatRegt flags (first 3 attachments) were necessary to see if designating flags on the regimental level were practical, providing for a three flag display per regiment option (last attachment).
NatRegts.jpg
NatRegts.jpg (326.19 KiB) Viewed 874 times
NatRegts2.jpg
NatRegts2.jpg (287.61 KiB) Viewed 874 times
Ingame look, last unit in column is selected
NatRegts Columns.jpg
NatRegts Columns.jpg (272.84 KiB) Viewed 874 times
To see and check out performance of the NatRegt flags play OOB_SB_Gettysburg_3Days_NatRegt. To compare performance use same sandbox settings and play OOB_SB_Gettysburg_3Days_DRF, the two OOBs are exact except for the flag setups, i.e.; one flag vs two flags per regiment. Since the NatRegt version uses 236 less flags, it should favor performance, however, my tests were inconclusive. I’ll be doing more testing using scenarios for better accuracy, same map locations, objects, etc., and determine whether this combo flag arrangement is worth the effort. One other OOB uses the NatRegt setup, OOB_SB_Antietam_NatRegt, its normal setup version being OOB_SB_Antietam to compare performance with.

- Sixteen regimental level 1862 US designating flags made available for testing in sandbox (OOB_SB_Antietam_NatRegtDes) or by renaming the test OOB ('OOB_Antietam - DesFlagsTest' to 'OOB_Antietam') to test with Antietam scenarios

So far testing with sandbox Army level (OOB_SB_Antietam_NatRegt) the three flag display using a regimental designating flag along with the NatRegt combo flag has been a bust. Not only plagued with CTDs, but also AI shutdown. Corps level play is strained but at least doesn’t conk out. As explained in this heading, an OOB is included to test the Antietam scenarios with this flag configuration. I’ll be doing the same as time allows to try and salvage this flag config as it is the ordered regimental 1862 flag designation grouping, according to this SOURCE.
Within each brigade, each regiment was to carry in addition to its national and regimental colours a copy of the brigade headquarters flag with the numbers i, 2, 3 or 4 on it, according to the unit's ranking on the brigade table of organization.
Ya gotta admit, it sure is more colorful.
NatRegts3.jpg
NatRegts3.jpg (298.75 KiB) Viewed 874 times
With this update really only the US regimental finials have been changed. All the other additions are duplicated OOBs renamed with new flag configurations along with the flags introduced above and are made available presently only for testing and feedback. So, until further testing and evaluation show positive potential, these additions should be considered as a WIP.

Man, this HD Flag Upgrade just won’t go away. I ran across that regimental finial picture and found some backup sources that confirmed it as the historically accurate representative, then immediately went to press addressing the fix. Then came the NatRegt combo flags idea to accommodate the three-flag display. Still lack 60+ flags to make the regimental designating flags right by numbering them according to their regiment order within the brigade. This is definitely on the back-burner until issues of performance are determined.

Feedback will be especially helpful with this update since it is basically a ‘Test and report what you like and don’t like’ type update, and above all, report issues...AI Shut Down being the biggie with this flag heavy experiment.
Last edited by RebBugler on Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

Update, version 18.98, October 4th, 2018

- Addition of nine new combination US National and Regimental flags ('NatRegt' designation) plus a new 35 star US National

The duplication of some regiments was necessary to accommodate 34 or 35 Stars, US Nationals
NatRegt PG RRC.jpg
NatRegt PG RRC.jpg (267.25 KiB) Viewed 877 times

- Regimental level US 1862 designating flags assigned to these OOBs: Antietam, South Mountain, Prairie Grove, and the Red River Campaign (XIII Corps)
Red River Campaign
Red River Campaign.jpg
Red River Campaign.jpg (353.41 KiB) Viewed 877 times
Antietam
Antietam RDFlags.jpg
Antietam RDFlags.jpg (276.7 KiB) Viewed 877 times
I was really pleased that the US Regimental Designating Flags are working for Antietam. I didn't test all the Antietam scenarios with them, but I did test all the Corps level ones, and the Army level full battle USA one.

- The 'Gettysburg Three Days' set of five scenarios, beginning with 'GB3D1-July 1-Gettysburg Day One (C-Army)', has been revised and hopefully debugged

In case you've attempted this set before, all the upgraded scenarios have been renamed so as not to inherit the previous version's carryover issues.
Gb3Days Carryover 'End Positions' Scenarios.jpg
Gb3Days Carryover 'End Positions' Scenarios.jpg (28 KiB) Viewed 877 times
For more discussion about this scenario set go to this recent thread...
http://www.norbsoftdev.net/phpBB3/viewt ... 821#p77821

- New CSA flag finial replacements, loosely assigned by state...WIP
Research stuff...
CSA Finials.jpg
CSA Finials.jpg (430.66 KiB) Viewed 877 times
Twelve finials displayed, the two with borders are assigned
CSA Finials2.jpg
CSA Finials2.jpg (323.34 KiB) Viewed 877 times
roy64
Reactions:

Post by roy64 »

I think the run button is broken, with your leader, select formation then run everyone runs but there's no way to stop them running unless you cancel the original formation order.
Last edited by roy64 on Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leicestershire
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

I think the run button is broken, with your leader, select formation then run everyone runs but there's no way to stop them running unless you cancel the original formation order.
That's not unique to the B&F toolbar, the walk command for unit groups was eliminated after TC2M. This post explains why...
http://www.norbsoftdev.net/phpBB3/viewt ... 887#p49887

Work around: give the same formation again to revert from run to walk.
However, with your situation, giving the Army commander the All Run command, your only option I see is to do an All Halt command. Basically fixing a mess up on the players part. I'm wondering now on whether to eliminate the All Run command on the Army level toolbar, and possibly the Corps level also. Thoughts?
Last edited by RebBugler on Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

Update, version 18.99, October 31, 2018

- Toolbar additions, line forward commands 'By Formation' for brigade and division levels - 500, 750 (division only) and 1000 yards.

Line forward commands, by formation...

‘By formation’ means a formation is designed with the leader further back from the formation than the standard 10 yards. So, by moving the leader back 510 yards, a '500 forward' formation call from a line formation will move the troops 500 yards forward, maintaining their line integrity. Furthermore, the leader, which otherwise would remain idle, is given a 500 yard forward movement command, the second function allowed in the GUI, and a standard line formation results after 500 yards of movement.
These line forward commands evolved originally from scenario scripting and dealing with the game's 'move form forward' commands. They're great commands, when they work, but totally unreliable for scripting purposes. Half the time they dud out, blocked by some seen, or unseen, obstacle. On the toolbar they still have purpose, that's why I include them, because players can eventually get them unblocked if they’re patient and persistent. Line forward commands ‘by formation’ are never blocked.

Another reason I script and prefer play with these types of forward movement commands is that they prevent 'caravans' from happening. Caravans are formed when troops (sometimes) gravitate from a given formation inward, to and behind the leader, over long distances. 'Hold Line' formations (green) prevent caravans but are not as accurate in maintaining line integrity as 'by formation' forward movement commands. Also, they're real slow at reaching their destination. I've found that it's better to move at line columns for a while and then allow for a player option on whether or when to hit the 'Hold Line' formation button as the enemy is approached. If the leader is TC'd throughout the journey then a standard line formation will result at the end positions. Or halt the leader and form the line short of the destination if opted.

Using TC Officers and Atcommoff

The last couple of sentences referred more to Brigade level commands, Division level needs a few more steps to maintain a good solid line while moving forward. TC Officers is the key. Immediately after initiating a move forward by formation command - select TC Officers (red flag button). While all his officers are TC'd the leader has no control, but this insures that they won't stray from their destination orders. For the leader to gain control again in order to halt or change the formation, Atcommoff (four white flags button) must be initiated, this TC's Off all the brigade officers so they will follow division commands.

Atcommoff function change

To make the TC Officers command more formation friendly the Atcommoff command will no longer TC Off the commander (selected officer). I've found that if the commander isn't instantly TC'd after Atcommoff, he can suddenly dart off, changing position and direction, and destabilize further maneuvering of a given division formation. So, this change insures that the commander stays TC'd, thus locked into his position or destination, and the formation lives on to advance or whatever, under complete control of the player. Brigade level Atcommoff will remain as is, the brigade officer will still TC Off with the Atcommoff command.
Line Forward Commands Upgrade 18_99.jpg
Line Forward Commands Upgrade 18_99.jpg (274.53 KiB) Viewed 878 times

- New CSA historically based flag finials assigned to B&F OOBs and OOBs included in the 2018 HD flag upgrade: Antietam, South Mountain, Prairie Grove, Pea Ridge, The Red River Campaign and Chancellorsville (Chancellorsville Extras mod).
Most CSA regimental flags now display and correspond with these flag finials by state...
CS State Flag Finials.jpg
CS State Flag Finials.jpg (176.15 KiB) Viewed 878 times
Davinci
Reactions:

Post by Davinci »

‘By formation’ means a formation is designed with the leader further back from the formation than the standard 10 yards. So, by moving the leader back 510 yards, a '500 forward' formation call from a line formation will move the troops 500 yards forward, maintaining their line integrity. Furthermore, the leader, which otherwise would remain idle, is given a 500 yard forward movement command, the second function allowed in the GUI, and a standard line formation results after 500 yards of movement.
Reb, did you have to adjust the values in the "unitattributes.csv" file when moving the Leader away from the units?

Basically, do they still have the Leader Bonus, "what's it called", NOT sure?

davinci
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

Reb, did you have to adjust the values in the "unitattributes.csv" file when moving the Leader away from the units?
From a line formation, when the 'move forward command' is given, the leader begins with, moves with, and stops with the units. For all intent and purposes it's a line formation moving forward with the leader maintaining his normal distance, the 'command radius' being the same.
Davinci
Reactions:

Post by Davinci »

From a line formation, when the 'move forward command' is given, the leader begins with, moves with, and stops with the units. For all intent and purposes it's a line formation moving forward with the leader maintaining his normal distance, the 'command radius' being the same.
OK, I read your post incorrectly, I thought that you stated that the Leader stayed back 500 yards.

This would cause the battle-line to break apart during battle.

davinci