Need help winning Scenario Twenty-One

Stuck in a part of the game. Here's where the Grogs help the Newbies. Share your best strategies for winning and try someone elses.
kaplan71
Reactions:

Need help winning Scenario Twenty-One

Post by kaplan71 »

Hi there --

I have progressed through the scenarios, and am now at number twenty-one, or the first calvary scenario.
So far, I have been able to capture the rail fence, and hold it for the five minute interval. My next objective is to capture the stone wall, and hold it for the one minute interval at the three victory locations.

However, no matter what I do, my regiment gets trounced, and I end up with defeats. I have tried charging to the wall, and holding on for dear life, as well as baiting the Union calvary to attacking me in the open field. Nothing has worked. Has anyone got a winning strategy here?

Thanks.
born2see
Reactions:

Re: Need help winning Scenario Twenty-One

Post by born2see »

kaplan71 wrote:
I have progressed through the scenarios, and am now at number twenty-one, or the first calvary scenario.
So far, I have been able to capture the rail fence, and hold it for the five minute interval. My next objective is to capture the stone wall, and hold it for the one minute interval at the three victory locations.

However, no matter what I do, my regiment gets trounced, and I end up with defeats. I have tried charging to the wall, and holding on for dear life, as well as baiting the Union calvary to attacking me in the open field. Nothing has worked. Has anyone got a winning strategy here?
Check out this topic. Lots of good advice here. And I'm sure Reb will step in as well.

http://www.norbsoftdev.net/index.php?op ... =124#34299

B
"Those in whose judgment I rely, tell me that I fought the battle splendidly and that it was a masterpiece of art.” - George McClellan to his wife describing the battle of Antietam
kaplan71
Reactions:

Post by kaplan71 »

Hi there --

I checked out the link in question, and unfortunately I did not see anything except the suggestion to skip the scenario, and come back to it later. I also restarted the scenario with the variant this time
being the regiment combined into three commands. I tried again to take the stone wall, and also tried going around the right flank of enemy line. I am still unable to achieve anything beyond a defeat.

I need help here in order to get past this scenario.
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

The cavalry field scenarios have me beat, however. After ten tries, I'm basically concluding the Brinkerhoff ridge, for example is unwinnable, at least for me. I've tried multiple strategies, but I feel like I'm not so much being defeated by the enemy as I am by the scenario design (sorry Reb Bugler!). With a lot of luck I can get to about 3200. 4200 seems unreachable (and I've also felt that the point totals for the other scenarios I've played seem to have been set extremely high given the tight artificial constraints that some of these scenarios come with).
Sarge said this (2nd Virginia) was unwinnable also, I replayed it thinking something went amiss, got a 4500. I'm not as good a player as Sarge, but his aggressiveness killed the victory. I hint strongly upfront that you must get engagement points up first, then, when up to a 300 or 400 point score, secure the first objective. Otherwise, Yanks will be all over you, with no hope to win. This delay tactic is crucial or you will have to hold the wall too long after you secured all the objectives.

Historically, the Rebs didn't have a chance. I followed historic guidelines, and gave them a chance.

Regarding the dismounted troops, we tried to follow historic guidelines with their design. They are defensive in nature, retreat when engaged too close, and, avoid melees and charges. If you learn their nature, you can win with them...we did as testers.
This is from that thread, the key is here. Folks that follow this key strategy, go on to a hard earned Major Victory. :)
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
kaplan71
Reactions:

Post by kaplan71 »

I went through the motions of getting up close and personal to the enemy, and for the most part that does send them scurrying for safety. However, there is now another problem. I make to the stone wall, and I make sure that I have enough troops in the immediate area to hold the line. However, even though the indicator counts down to zero repeatedly, the points that I am supposed to get do not get added to those that I had accumulated earlier.

It looks like the objective pointer wavers while I am in position even while the indicator is doing its counting down. What gives?
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

I went through the motions of getting up close and personal to the enemy, and for the most part that does send them scurrying for safety. However, there is now another problem. I make to the stone wall, and I make sure that I have enough troops in the immediate area to hold the line. However, even though the indicator counts down to zero repeatedly, the points that I am supposed to get do not get added to those that I had accumulated earlier.

It looks like the objective pointer wavers while I am in position even while the indicator is doing its counting down. What gives?
There's 200 points per wall objective(3), 2 mins to secure each. Secure all 3 for 600 points. The flashing objective is normal, it's a layered objective to trigger a warning if activated, or provide you minimal points if held, 10 per min. I think. Guess I wasn't clear when I explained most of this in the Intro. :unsure:
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
born2see
Reactions:

Post by born2see »

RebBugler wrote:
There's 200 points per wall objective(3), 2 mins to secure each. Secure all 3 for 600 points. The flashing objective is normal, it's a layered objective to trigger a warning if activated, or provide you minimal points if held, 10 per min. I think.
Say what!!?? That reminds of those math problems in school. If a train leaves Chicago going 50 mph and another leaves Little Rock going 70 mph, how old is the engineer? :huh:

B
"Those in whose judgment I rely, tell me that I fought the battle splendidly and that it was a masterpiece of art.” - George McClellan to his wife describing the battle of Antietam
X Navy Seal
Reactions:

Post by X Navy Seal »

I was gonna try to beat the game over the past two weeks (a year and a half after acquiring it) just so I could get that general symbol in my avatar - as well as bragging rights - hehe. However, Rebbugler's cav scenarios's were too tough so I gave up. I should point out that guys didn't used to have to beat the cav scenario's to become generals so maybe all the sp scenario's should be enough. Either way those cav scenario's are TOUGH!!
kaplan71
Reactions:

Post by kaplan71 »

I am holding the each of the two south wall objectives with at least 100 men, but the situation map does not reflect my holding them. This despite the fact the counter does indicate I am in control of the objectives. I continue to nudge back the enemy calvary, but I am not getting anything, in points, to show for my efforts. I don't know what else to do here.
dpeters95
Reactions:

Post by dpeters95 »

I am holding the each of the two south wall objectives with at least 100 men, but the situation map does not reflect my holding them. This despite the fact the counter does indicate I am in control of the objectives. I continue to nudge back the enemy calvary, but I am not getting anything, in points, to show for my efforts. I don't know what else to do here.
Initially, the three GOLD VP symbols will each give you 200 points each if you hold them one at a time for 2 minutes. After they turn SILVER they will only give you 10 points per minute. Holding the wall is actually easy and can be done for the entire scenario. You can position 8 of your 10 companies across the wall and then use 1 company on each flank to chase away any threatening Federal's. Just run at them and they will run away. Your companies never actually tire out from running but the do rout from excessive losses (over 50% and they get very shakey).

With all of that said, holding all the VP's won't give you enough points (1600) for a Major Victory. That is the difficult part of this scenario. You must get additional points by routing some enemy units. The problem is, as I said above, they retreat at the drop of a hat and it's difficult to "Charge" them to get routing points.

After you get all the initial VP points, leave at least 100+ men and the Commander at one of the 10 points/minute Silver VP's and use the rest of your units to try routing enemy units one at a time. (Cut them off/surround them, etc.)

I haven't played this one for some time now but I believe this is what I did to get a MV. This scenario is very difficult mainly because the points are hard to come by in the 30 minute duration.