Courier Question?

35th Georgia
Reactions:

Re: Courier Question?

Post by 35th Georgia »

As a matter of stupitdity I started out playing by courier and then the other way after I found out what was wrong. It's definately a rush and a great way to get broke in on the game. lol
"To walk into to almost certain death is insane,to do it with honor is heroic."
f1simracer
Reactions:

Post by f1simracer »

Is it possible to stagger the names on the courier screen?
So it would be easier to find the corps commander and others.
I'm not sure what you mean by stagger but in order to change the order of the units on the courier screen, you would have to change their order in the OOB... I think.. I've never tried this but I believe they are listed just as they are in the OOB.
The names listed on the left of the courier screen can they be formed ina outline type listing.
Maybe corps commander then 5 spaces to the right div. commander then 5 spaces to the right Reg. commander
and so on.

So if I am lee and want to send a message to my Corp commanders I can scroll down the list and pick them out easier.
Davinci
Reactions:

Post by Davinci »

OK, this is what I’m trying to explain here, and maybe I’ve changed a few settings within the csv files, but that is what modding does!

For the sake of clarity – I have assembled all available higher rank to one central location to try to prove my point.

Picture #1 - Assembled are Generals – Longstreet, Jackson, Ewell, Johnson, and General Pickett – in the direct vicinity of General Robertson.

Picture #2 - General Robertson is ordered [/’b] to move to the left flack of General Benning – by moving ahead to the white X on the screen in picture 2.

Picture #3 - The order is coming from General Longstreet

Picture #4 – The courier is sent by General Lee – which is a mile away!

The point here is that why can’t the courier be sent by anyone of the ranking officers, which is in the direct vicinity of this Brigade!

Now, if this doesn’t make sense, then I’m pretty sure that we have completely different perspectives about the Civil-War!

davinci
The only true logic is that, there is no true logic!
Little Powell
Reactions:

Post by Little Powell »

Check out the message text in screen 3, and there's your answer. It's signed by General Lee, therefore it's going to be sent by him.

I understand what you're wanting Davinci, and I'm going to post it on our wish list. But I want it to be optional because I personally like the current system and I know others do as well.
Davinci
Reactions:

Post by Davinci »

Check out the message text in screen 3, and there's your answer. It's signed by General Lee; therefore it's going to be sent by him.

I understand what you're wanting Davinci, and I'm going to post it on our wish list. But I want it to be optional because I personally like the current system and I know others do as well.
Yes, you are correct, but that is the current programming for the Commanding Officer, and that can be re-programmed to represent any of the Commanders within that particular group.

I appreciate that you are adding this in the list of add-ons- that may be determined at a later time.

I’m sure that I can find some type of work-around to this if I keep probing \ looking!

davinci
con20or
Reactions:

Post by con20or »

con20or wrote:
Example 2 - as a division commander, you choose to move yourself to a position, you then click on the formation you want your division to take on arrival. All brigades start moving instantly.
Of course they move immediately, the toolbar and movement map are being used, not the courier system. Those devices were designed for instant communication. If you write orders to each brigade to have them form up to the left and right of you, they will not move until the courier delivers the message.
No, this applies when using the courier menu too. Try it yourself MTG.

As army commander, send a courier message to any corps or division commander telling him to move his unit to a location. Once the courier reaches that commander, his whole unit will start moving instantly. He hasnt passed the message on to subordinate commanders and no matter how spread out the unit is they all will start moving immediately. The couriers should spawn down the ranks. i know this could mean alot of couriers, but i think it's very important.
Last edited by con20or on Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
con20or
Reactions:

Post by con20or »

Which issue are you referring to? I see a couple of things.

Can you summarize them here?
Ill try and summarize (i hope you were talking to me!!)

At a certain level (division and up) when you give a move order to the commander (or when you order a move as that commander), using either the courier menu or the movement map the courier method of play does not get applied.

Units all start moving simultaneously, even though they should not have received the orders yet.

Example 1 - as a corps commander, open movement map, click anywhere, all division and brigade commanders start moving instantly to the specified location. This can be applied to any commander.

What should happen in this case is courier goes from you to each division commander. Courier then goes from division commander to each brigade commander, then each brigade commander starts moving. the further the brigade/divisin commander, the longer it should take them to get the message, the later they should start moving.

Example 2 - as a division commander, you choose to move yourself to a position, you then click on the formation you want your division to take on arrival. All brigades start moving instantly.

What should happen in this case, courier should leave you and go to each brigade commander, the same time delay issue above, where the further the unit, the longer it takes to get the order.

Short summary - At present, in certain situations orders are executed immediately and couriers are not spawned.
I think I understand... Why did I ever get involved with these blasted couriers.... :laugh:

In other words, when you are issuing an order to your entire unit (full division move, full division orders stance, full division use roads etc.) the order is executed immediately with no couriers sent. I'll look into adding it to the list.
yes exactly. And this applies higher up too. Even when courier play is on, the movement map or any large formation buttons bypass couriers to the lower ranks. the initial order is sent by courier, but no more.

I know some of these things will be a headache, but the courier system is something that makes this game incredible, you can see how often people say that on the forums and it would be great to have it working right.

Anyway, sorry davinci for hijacking your thread.
con20or
Reactions:

Post by con20or »

Is it possible to stagger the names on the courier screen?
So it would be easier to find the corps commander and others.
I'm not sure what you mean by stagger but in order to change the order of the units on the courier screen, you would have to change their order in the OOB... I think.. I've never tried this but I believe they are listed just as they are in the OOB.
i think what he means (ive seen it mentioned before) is to indent names on the courier screen, so ranks can me more easily identified. So Army commaner would be right at the LHS, corp indented one space, division, two, brigade 3 etc. At present they are difficult to distinguish without reading down looking for the correct rank.

Edit : Sorry, just saw he had already replied. Can you delete a post?
Last edited by con20or on Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Davinci
Reactions:

Post by Davinci »

Anyway, sorry davinci for hijacking your thread.
You are not Hi-Jacking the thread considering that all of this is related to the new courier system.

I like to call this the first-generation-courier-system which turned out to be quite innovative, but I also feel that it can be improved slightly.

I also agree that when given movement orders to a Division that there should be a slight time-delay when moving each brigade, instead of having all of them move at the same time.

The Civil-War is the prefect example of moving a large number of troops down different roads, usually in the same direction, but along different paths to insure that the roads stayed un-clogged.

But, there is not \ or very seldom any need to detach certain units to block any roads, or have any need for a rear-guard considering that everybody is moving at the same time.

And, this brings me to another point that I have been complaining about for the longest, why, why, why does the Supply-Wagon move at the same speed as the Infantry.

This would be a prefect example of detaching units to guard the cross-roads, to insure that the supply wagon made it up to the vicinity of the fighting, but it arrives along with everyone else.

davinci
born2see
Reactions:

Post by born2see »

Davinci wrote:
This would be a prefect example of detaching units to guard the cross-roads, to insure that the supply wagon made it up to the vicinity of the fighting, but it arrives along with everyone else.
I guess that begs the question, how did supply wagons move historically?
"Those in whose judgment I rely, tell me that I fought the battle splendidly and that it was a masterpiece of art.” - George McClellan to his wife describing the battle of Antietam