mini map

General Question/Answer/Announcement about NSD. We are a small independent game development team and we value our community. If you ask, we'll answer.
BOSTON
Reactions:

mini map

Post by BOSTON »

Gents

Does anybody know if the new game will pause, when the mini map is in use? I don't know about you, however, it takes me awhile to familiarize where I am on the battlefield, and lose time or troops in the process, also, trying to evaluate the victory conditions at different locations chews up the clock with the mini map on. The detail information about a unit has the same effect as using the mini map, as a result I have to forgo that information to keep a handle on the present conditions of the battle, especially if it is intense, the amount of units requires alot of clock time, in that space of time I feel vunerable with the loss of playability to get that information.

One other thing, would it be possible to have a click pause button on he screen, As well as keeping the keyboard Pause? My experience has been only with the AI, as I gain knowledge about the game will I feel ready to play MP, untill then I will remain a student of the Game and Love every minute of it..

Thanx, hoistingman4
HOISTINGMAN4

Drafted in Boston
ironsight
Reactions:

Re:mini map

Post by ironsight »

hoistingman, how long do you stare at the mini map?
Never thought about it, but i think the game pauses when viewing the map and unit stats though i don't know if the battle timer itself pauses likewise. Maybe someone here knows for sure.
What i'd like to see is an entirely different method of viewing a unit's stats at a glance without clicking on a control panel icon to bring up a sub page and then having to do an extra step to get rid of the page.
Maybe a small stats box somewhere in the control panel which would automatically show a unit's critical stats when its flag is clicked-on. That info would stay there until another flag is clicked. All this with the battle in progress and in full view.
In fact the control panel could be cleaned up a bit by including morale and fatigue in that stat box also. I think it should stay somewhere in the control panel area rather than printed elsewhere on the screen to keep the battle picture as uncluttered as possible.
Included would be amount of ammo, types of weapons, etc. For example, whenever i need to order cavalry on a mission, its critical i know what unit has the pistols and what unit has the rifles along with fatigue, morale and ammo. This would be especially useful for a gun's ammo level along with an indicator on the gun's flag which would signal its resupplyable.
JC Edwards
Reactions:

Post by JC Edwards »

The answer is........Micro-management men!! Micro-management!:lol: :side: :P
'The path that is not seen, nor hidden, should always be flanked'
BOSTON
Reactions:

Post by BOSTON »

I agree with your suggestions, for what you had to say makes sense to me, and would make the game more enjoyable to play with less screens to close out. Yes, I do spend time on the mimimap trying to decipher where the units under my command are located and not to be confused with like sided units not under my command and of course to find my opponent and assess where his known strenths are, then make an educated guess how to deal with it. When I'm on the mini map, I can see he clock ticking away, as should know that time can be the enemy as well as your opponnet. My wish would be that some, if not all of what your talking about be incorperated into the game, it has the making for smoother play with less keyboarding or clicking so that you won't be distracted, so one can concentrate on how to beat the enemy.

Thanx, hoistingman4
HOISTINGMAN4

Drafted in Boston
Ephrum
Reactions:

Post by Ephrum »

ironsight- the game doesn't pause when the mini-map is up.

If you have CMP3, a given unit's weapon type, is in the upper right side of their toolbar.I've also noticed that your when dealing with two regiment, cavalry brigades, put them in double line formation. It puts the regiments on either side of their commander, and for some reason, will have the carbines on the right, shotguns and pistols on the left.
Also, a lot of your units critical stats are signified with various icons at the top of their toolbar.
For Favorable unit status, there's -morale bonus from commander- -morale bonus from unit- -defensive terrain bonus- -elevation attack bonus- -unit resting- -unit rallying.

For Unfavorable unit status, there's -unit is visable to enemy- -flank warning- -target is blocked- -high fatigue warning- -low morale warning-.
It would be cool if there was an icon to warn if a unit is getting low on ammo.

I use the map basicly for two things.

1) to keep an eye out for possible enemy flank manuvers.I usually keep cavalry posted in positions where the enemy will be seen, no matter what they try. An added benefit to that is, in the course of a battle, it's easy to concentrate my cavalry behind the enemy, because they're already halfway there. Then I can wreak havoc on their art'y.

2) to identify enemy commanders, and know who I'm up against.
Last edited by Ephrum on Sat Nov 15, 2008 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OHIO UNIVERSITY
BOSTON
Reactions:

Post by BOSTON »

Ephrum

I'm not familiar with CMP3, but do own BR & TCM2. It"s been years since using BR, what I relate to in my inquiries is from TCM2, which dosen't show in a calvary closeup a difference as to what arms the unit has, at least I can,t tell. I should clarify 2 things when I said unit details, {1} combat report & {2} unit training as the selections when used allows the game clock to continue running. Let's say one calvary unit has a better raiding capacity than another, or their type of arms, as you said, which has been important to me also. Each catagory under those items a player has to try and move onto the next unit and repeat the process until it sticks in the gray matter, it's hard to retain all that information and put it to good use when it is a good situation to do so.

I'm still learning tactics and stratergies including what I learn from you.

By the way, would you know how to reset the scores on scenerio selections? Sometimes I get a good score, but rather brutally, then learn a new tactic to have a healther outcome, particuarlly in carry over senerios. Sometimes i feel the high score isn't the best score. Thankx, hoistingman4
Last edited by BOSTON on Sat Nov 15, 2008 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HOISTINGMAN4

Drafted in Boston
JC Edwards
Reactions:

Post by JC Edwards »

hoistingman4 wrote:

I'm still learning tactics and stratergies including what I learn from you.

By the way, would you know how to reset the scores on scenerio selections? Sometimes I get a good score, but rather brutally, then learn a new tactic to have a healther outcome, particuarlly in carry over senerios. Sometimes i feel the high score isn't the best score. Thankx, hoistingman4
Hi hoistingman4

I'm not sure if there is a way to reset the scores.....usually what I do is just re-play the scenario......carry overs I just start from the 1st one and work my way through them again......with better than anticipated outcomes.:)

If there is a way to reset the scores, maybe Norb will be along in a bit and give you an answer.;)

with regards

Sarge
BOSTON
Reactions:

Post by BOSTON »

Sarge

Done just what you suggested {took days}, but I wish I could of started at zero again.
I know there is a method to the madness, the big picture and learning from mistakes. I would have been more conservative in the early carryover scenerios had I known what the results from those battles would have had in latter scernerios, also through trial and error my game had improved and am starting to see the light. Again I'm an AI player working my way up to be competitive in {MP} mode, it is intriuging to face a live opponnet and get a baptism under fire, win, lose, or draw I'm sure it would be a blast. Hey! Still waiting for Shilo, the Easter Bunny and Santa Cluas.

Take care, hoistingman4
HOISTINGMAN4

Drafted in Boston
Jim
Reactions:

Post by Jim »

The new game will not pause when the map is up. The idea is that battles did not stop while the commander was looking at his map. The pause button is to allow for intrusions of Real Life (such as the spouse, phone, crying baby etc).
In multiplayer, I don't think there will be a pause function at all. It would be difficult to keep synchronization.
"My God, if we've not got a cool brain and a big one too, to manage this affair, the nation is ruined forever." Unknown private, 14th Vermont, 2 July 1863
JC Edwards
Reactions:

Post by JC Edwards »

hoistingman4 wrote:
Sarge

Done just what you suggested {took days}, but I wish I could of started at zero again.
I know there is a method to the madness, the big picture and learning from mistakes. I would have been more conservative in the early carryover scenerios had I known what the results from those battles would have had in latter scernerios, also through trial and error my game had improved and am starting to see the light. Again I'm an AI player working my way up to be competitive in {MP} mode, it is intriuging to face a live opponnet and get a baptism under fire, win, lose, or draw I'm sure it would be a blast. Hey! Still waiting for Shilo, the Easter Bunny and Santa Cluas.

Take care, hoistingman4
Trial and error is what it's all about my friend.:lol: Right now, I'm going through all the TC2M stock scenario's again.....only this time on hard instead of normal.
A little more challenging.....but the scores are great.

Jim
In multiplayer, I don't think there will be a pause function at all. It would be difficult to keep synchronization.
Boy; you sure are full of all kinds of good news there Jim-bo!:lol: ;)