Cavalry Field: Am I missing something?

Stuck in a part of the game. Here's where the Grogs help the Newbies. Share your best strategies for winning and try someone elses.
dpeters95
Reactions:

Re: Cavalry Field: Am I missing something?

Post by dpeters95 »

Reb,
Ok, well I finally beat it with 4377 but only because, this time, I didn't restart the saved level. I got a different scenario. I wasn't doing that before because I was handily beating the originsl varient where the confederates combine to essentially 3 regiments. I think the problem was that there just weren't enough points available to be had with that variant. When I ran the scenario again from the Cavalry Field screen I then got the scenario where the confederates are broken into 10 seperate companies, In that scenario I was able to score the 4377 the first time.

Now, I'll be the first to admit that I know nothing about building scenarios or how points are determined (besides the VP's) but I don't think there are enough points available in the 3 regiment (combined companies) variant. I would love it if one of you could play that variant, get more than 4200 points, and let me know how you did it. Someone will probably succeed but I'll admit that I tried 7 times and couldn't get enough points.

Good job though Reb. I did enjoy the challange!
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

Reb,
Ok, well I finally beat it with 4377 but only because, this time, I didn't restart the saved level. I got a different scenario. I wasn't doing that before because I was handily beating the originsl varient where the confederates combine to essentially 3 regiments. I think the problem was that there just weren't enough points available to be had with that variant. When I ran the scenario again from the Cavalry Field screen I then got the scenario where the confederates are broken into 10 seperate companies, In that scenario I was able to score the 4377 the first time.

Now, I'll be the first to admit that I know nothing about building scenarios or how points are determined (besides the VP's) but I don't think there are enough points available in the 3 regiment (combined companies) variant. I would love it if one of you could play that variant, get more than 4200 points, and let me know how you did it. Someone will probably succeed but I'll admit that I tried 7 times and couldn't get enough points.

Good job though Reb. I did enjoy the challange!
Very nice report, thank you Sir. Believe me, it can be beat with just the 3 battalions setup, that's just another challenge. I Hard scripted the Rebs to take that wall, otherwise this scenario would be just a Rebel rout. If they do take the wall and hold it long enough to force your units to retreat, you then have the option to blow off the objectives, and just concentrate on genocide. It's not that difficult to do with your combined forces. Unfortunately, 'evtintrouble' obviously proved unreliable, and will give this scenario some bad PR... :S

BTW, what about GB21, Success?
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
dpeters95
Reactions:

Post by dpeters95 »

Reb,
Yes, I did beat Scenario 21, I think the score was near 1700. And, come to think of it, I had the individual confederate companies variant.

Like I said, in Scenario 22 with the 3 regiment variant I held both VP's the entire time, caused 2 of the confederate regiment to surrender and the first couple of times made the 3rd regiment route which caused the scenario to end. I then replayed and once I got the 3rd regiment to retreat, I left them alone so they would not rout. I still could not get to 4200. I really hope someone can reach the 4200 in that variant and let me know how. I just can't think of anything else that I could have done to increase my score. I tried different approaches such as charging the units or surrounding them for a retreat, etc. Nothing I tried worked.

Just thinking, would it be possible to pull the initial delaying companies back early to prevent their retreat/rout and possibly not lose points? I don't need many points (50) to beat that variant.
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

Just thinking, would it be possible to pull the initial delaying companies back early to prevent their retreat/rout and possibly not lose points? I don't need many points (50) to beat that variant.
Sure, just stop them from moving forward or change their direction before they engage. Historically they were sent in piecemeal and were easily brushed aside by the 2nd Virginia, I tried to script this initial engagement, so I had to make them randomly retreat. Otherwise, they alone would thwart the Rebel advance to the wall.

So, 'evtintrouble' did work, and you got a Major Victory this way...you just want more points for the prescribed MV score.

Congrats on GB21, you kicked butt. You've officially thwarted the unwinnable badge...Thank You Sir.
Last edited by RebBugler on Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed a goof
dpeters95
Reactions:

Post by dpeters95 »

Reb,
I got a MV on 21 and then on 22 with the 10 company confederate variant. I never got higher than 4150 (4200 for MV) on the 3 confederate regiment variant of 22 no matter what I tried. As far as the 'evtintrouble', you have to back off routing the last opponent to stop the scenario from ending early.
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

Reb,
I got a MV on 21 and then on 22 with the 10 company confederate variant. I never got higher than 4150 (4200 for MV) on the 3 confederate regiment variant of 22 no matter what I tried. As far as the 'evtintrouble', you have to back off routing the last opponent to stop the scenario from ending early.
OK, gave it a run...4164, drat, needed 15 more seconds. Still, haven't run this one in over a year, one more run through, and I'd get it. Yep, it's tight, but doable...

Got some more challenges ahead for you Generals, looking forward to those reports...Thanks for playing and setting the bar beyond the test team. :)
dpeters95
Reactions:

Post by dpeters95 »

Wow, I thought 22 was difficult. Wait till you see 26!!! It feels like the whole Reb Cavalry against 8 Boy Scout troops. You need 3000 points, and I can't get to 2000. I really hope that I am getting the difficult scenario because I am not even close yet on this one! :(

Ya know RebBugler, you are making it hard for me to complete all 30 scenarios so I can sit back and wait for Pipe Creek ... :lol:
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

Wow, I thought 22 was difficult. Wait till you see 26!!! It feels like the whole Reb Cavalry against 8 Boy Scout troops. You need 3000 points, and I can't get to 2000. I really hope that I am getting the difficult scenario because I am not even close yet on this one! :(

Ya know RebBugler, you are making it hard for me to complete all 30 scenarios so I can sit back and wait for Pipe Creek ... :lol:
Heh Heh Heh... :evil:

Tip #1, git out there and block 'em...then retreat like Hell. ;)
Hancock the Superb
Reactions:

Post by Hancock the Superb »

Perhaps the greatest thing to do is win the scenario in points, then route everyone immediately afterwards. Then you get the benefit of the routing rebels board and winning the scenario. Good luck, it can be done in both variants.
Hancock the Superb
Little Powell
Reactions:

Post by Little Powell »

The important thing with our scenario design is to make things as historic as possible. If attack A. happened at this time, with these troops, then we're going to portray it.. Regardless if it makes the scenario extremely difficult, or easy. East Cavalry Field was a challenge because not all troops under your command took part in the battle. Especially for the Rebel side, Stewart committed his division in pieces and some regiments didn't take part at all.. If you had control of Stewart's full division at the start, you could easy route the Federals from the field in minutes. So each scenario has a variant that is completely 100% historical, then several other variants that go outside of the boundaries a little to spice it up.