Cavalry Behavior

Stuck in a part of the game. Here's where the Grogs help the Newbies. Share your best strategies for winning and try someone elses.
born2see
Reactions:

Cavalry Behavior

Post by born2see »

I noticed that when dismounted cavalry is charged they get back on their horses. I read that mounted cavalry can't fire and dismounted cavalry can't melee but it seems awkward when they're lined up behind a fence they would mount their horses. Awkward or not do they pay a penalty for mounting or is it just the way the game works and they fight as if they were infantry. I mean based on their experience, etc.

Thanks
"Those in whose judgment I rely, tell me that I fought the battle splendidly and that it was a masterpiece of art.” - George McClellan to his wife describing the battle of Antietam
RebBugler
Reactions:

Re: Cavalry Behavior

Post by RebBugler »

In order for these East/South Cavalry Field scenarios to follow historic depictions/strategy, we had to create a new Class, Dismounted Cavalry. This class never mounts, they left their horses miles back. They are defensive in nature, rarely charge, and retreat when engaged too closely. Treat them like infantry but don't try to be too aggressive. They carry fast loading carbines...use em' for that advantage.
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
born2see
Reactions:

Post by born2see »

Thanks RB for the quick response. This is regarding GB01, however where the cavalry are able to mount or dismount.

PS: Note to myself: Calvary is where Jesus died and cavalry are mounted soldiers... :S
"Those in whose judgment I rely, tell me that I fought the battle splendidly and that it was a masterpiece of art.” - George McClellan to his wife describing the battle of Antietam
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

Oh, they pay a penalty for retreating, but not just mounting. Any time a unit is forced back through an engagement, they pay a penalty.
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
born2see
Reactions:

Post by born2see »

I guess the lesson here is don't put your dismounted cavalry in a position to be charged. I should have put them behind the second fence so the Rebs would have had to climb over two fences and the Sharps's rifles would have torn them up.

I'm calling it "A Fence Too Close". ;)
Last edited by born2see on Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:23 am, edited 1 time in total.