3rd Maine

Stuck in a part of the game. Here's where the Grogs help the Newbies. Share your best strategies for winning and try someone elses.
born2see
Reactions:

3rd Maine

Post by born2see »

I had a question (I always have questions) about the Devil's Den scenario. I noticed that the 3rd Maine and the First and Second Sharpshooters are included in the scenario, although they are detached. Why are they there? I did some research and I found they have a monument at the battlefield and were involved in the push against the Union left on Day 2. However, they seem like they're too far away to help Ward at Devil's Den. From what I can see they're at the southern end of the Peach Orchard, almost a mile away. I admit I haven't tried to rush them over there, maybe I should. Anyway,as always, your thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks
"Those in whose judgment I rely, tell me that I fought the battle splendidly and that it was a masterpiece of art.” - George McClellan to his wife describing the battle of Antietam
RebBugler
Reactions:

Re: 3rd Maine

Post by RebBugler »

That's historically correct. They were detached and held skirmish positions in front of Humphrey's division. The 2nd SS was in the Rose Farm area.

If you build scenarios historically, you learn your history. ;)
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
Drummerboy
Reactions:

Post by Drummerboy »

Born, I have played that same scenario many times. What I do is, right at the start of the game, is TC all three units and get them started back to Wards position. Just keep an eye on the SS units and keep them moving, as they like to stop and keep firing on any enemy that is within their range. They will make it in time to help, as long as you get them moving at the very start of the game. Also, make sure that you don`t make them take the roads to get back, just make them take the direct route(bee line) straight back. Ah yes, almost forgot, also re-attach them to the brigade at the start.
Last edited by Drummerboy on Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
born2see
Reactions:

Post by born2see »

What to do, what to do? As someone much wiser than I said in a previous post, grab your points however you can and then play it historically.

Thanks guys, for you prompt response. I need all the help I can get. I got the Rebs swarming over those rocks like the "Bugs" in "Starship Troopers" ;)

RB: I certainly am learning my history. I suspect I'm going to learn quite a bit more in the weeks and months to come. :cheer:
"Those in whose judgment I rely, tell me that I fought the battle splendidly and that it was a masterpiece of art.” - George McClellan to his wife describing the battle of Antietam
Marching Thru Georgia
Reactions:

Post by Marching Thru Georgia »

born2see wrote:
However, they seem like they're too far away to help Ward at Devil's Den. From what I can see they're at the southern end of the Peach Orchard, almost a mile away. I admit I haven't tried to rush them over there, maybe I should
That's exactly what you have to do. TC then and bring them over, quickly. Having the 1stSS is your only hope. Historically, the SS units were used as skirmishers and were often detached. However, the game doesn't treat skirmishers properly so they are wasted in that role. Use them as normal line troops. Park an ammo wagon behind them and keep them out of enemy range and they can easily annihilate a couple of brigades. Very non-historic, but you're going for the points.

Sounds like you are making good progress towards those stars. Keep it up!
I can make this march and I will make Georgia howl.
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

I agree. One could play this scenario multiple times and eventually, maybe, win it historically...historic units engaged. However, why do that when you can get those SS units up on the objective and kick ass from long distance.
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
DavidAcheson140PVI
Reactions:

Post by DavidAcheson140PVI »

I agree. One could play this scenario multiple times and eventually, maybe, win it historically...historic units engaged. However, why do that when you can get those SS units up on the objective and kick ass from long distance.
Amen to that Rebbugler.
Virginians with me! Who will come with me?! - Lewis Armistead, July 3rd, 1863
born2see
Reactions:

Post by born2see »

Getting ready to move those dudes up right now!
born2see
Reactions:

Post by born2see »

OK. Another question. When my guys rout they head for the hills; when the Rebs rout they stand around even when their flag is white. Are they prisoners? My guys quit shooting at them so I hope so. I just as soon not have them regroup an come at me again.

Also, what the heck is Anderson doing? He rides right through the middle of my lines and thumbs his nose at me. I know he was wounded during the battle so is this supposed to simulate that? Not whining, just wondering... :S
Shirkon
Reactions:

Post by Shirkon »

OK. Another question. When my guys rout they head for the hills; when the Rebs rout they stand around even when their flag is white. Are they prisoners? My guys quit shooting at them so I hope so. I just as soon not have them regroup an come at me again.

Also, what the heck is Anderson doing? He rides right through the middle of my lines and thumbs his nose at me. I know he was wounded during the battle so is this supposed to simulate that? Not whining, just wondering... :S
If their flag is white they have surrendered and are totally out of the fight. When your men fall back they will go to the safe area the scenario designer designated and reform. Once their morale is back they can be ordered back into the fight.

Eventually an officer that wanders through enemy lines will fall and be recreated behind his own lines. Sometimes it takes awhile especially if there is a big fight going on for it to recognise that he's in the kill zone for officer's.
War is cruelty. There is no use trying to reform it. The crueler it is, the sooner it will be over.

Sherman, December 1863, remark to a Tennessee woman.