The Peach Orchard

Stuck in a part of the game. Here's where the Grogs help the Newbies. Share your best strategies for winning and try someone elses.
born2see
Reactions:

The Peach Orchard

Post by born2see »

I've been playing the Peach Orchard scenario, GB12, and I was looking for some tactical advice. I've tried the prudent advance with frontal attacks combined with flanking maneuvers which gets me to the objective but not in time to rack up enough VP's to win. I've tried the historical tactic of lining up the Mississippians and charging my away across the field. Pretty costly in manpower and again I don't get to the objective with enough points or time. The most effective way for me so far has been to TC the regiments, put them in column and steamroll my way to the orchard. This tactic got me oh so close (2443 points) but still no cigar. Plus it seems "gamey", to quote Little Powell from another topic.

Which brings me to another question: Should historical tactics win the historical scenarios? From what I've read, Barksdale had a pretty easy time taking the Peach Orchard by charging like a mad dog out of the trees and across the field, described by a Union colonel as "...the grandest charge that was ever made by mortal man.". He met his real opposition and his ultimate demise at the base of Cemetery Ridge.

Now I know this is a game and some sacrifice of historical accuracy is necessary for playability but I'd like to hear your thoughts. And while you're at it a little friendly advice on how to beat those damned Yankees would be appreciated. :angry:

Thanks
"Those in whose judgment I rely, tell me that I fought the battle splendidly and that it was a masterpiece of art.” - George McClellan to his wife describing the battle of Antietam
Marching Thru Georgia
Reactions:

Re: The Peach Orchard

Post by Marching Thru Georgia »

Born2see wrote:
Which brings me to another question: Should historical tactics win the historical scenarios?
No. Historical battles didn't have predetermined point totals that the commander was required to attain. It's an artificial system so period tactics will likely not get you to your goal.

I had to play that scenario several times before I hit on the winning method. It is as you suggest, a banzi charge in column formation to the VP. Once there, you can deploy and ask for help. Once the crossroads are cleared, you can send a regiment up the road and capture a few cannon. Of course all regiments must be TC'd since exact placement is critical.

If you just ignore the scoring and just try to overcome the tactical problem, just as Barksdale had to do, you'll find it's a really well constructed scenario. The variety of Union responses that are built into it make it quite challenging. When I want Norb to serve me up some humility, I will play this in historic mode. It's the scoring system that ruins it. I found that to be true for all the brigade level scenarios. Just do what you need to do to earn those stars. Then you can go back and really enjoy the scenarios.
I can make this march and I will make Georgia howl.
born2see
Reactions:

Post by born2see »

Thanks for the advice, MTG. Couple of cups of coffee this morning and I'll be at it again.

Scoring aside, I love the historical aspect of this game. I'm reading Shelby Foote's account of the battle and I just happen to be at the part where he describes Barksdale's charge. It's just too cool to read about it and then go play the scenario. I even fired it up just to take a tour of the countryside and see where he went after taking the Peach Orchard. As a history guy THAT is just too cool. I really do wish I could be there this weekend. Oh well, someday...
"Those in whose judgment I rely, tell me that I fought the battle splendidly and that it was a masterpiece of art.” - George McClellan to his wife describing the battle of Antietam
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

This is most probably my favorite area of study and play of all the 3 days conflict. I was disappointed that the stock scenario left it short, so the first scenario I designed for this game was GB-DRF-July2-Barksdale, The Longest Charge (C-Brig)

It was tough before, now it's even tougher with the revised fatigue system, nevertheless, I tried to recreate the history, and the Glory, and then the Defeat, that Barksdale experienced. Beat it, and you can give Barksdale the Victory he so justly deserved.

Although fleeting if it could have been accomplished, for his brigade was too beat up and worn out to hold on without relief. And that we know, wouldn't and didn't happen.
Last edited by RebBugler on Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: reworded some stuff
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
born2see
Reactions:

Post by born2see »

3600! Couldn't have done it without you guys. Thanks again. Think I'll wait awhile to tackle yours, RB. :unsure: