working on mods

This is where our experts try to teach you the very flexible modding system for our previous release - SOW Gettysburg and its add-ons. It's powerful, but dangerous. Post your tips and your questions.
alessillo
Reactions:

working on mods

Post by alessillo »

hello all,

I'm working on two mods, the first is the conversion of my Frederick the Great mod from TC2M to SOW Gettysburg, the second is the ZULU mod, but at the moment I have a problem and I need some help.
In both mods there are troops without firearms (Cavalry and Zulu warriors), they fight charging against the enemy; well, I made a new wapon in rifles.csv with all values set to 100 yards (autocharge distance for cavalry) and I made a oob with this rifle for cavalry. The result is great, as soos as an enemy unit is in range, the cavalry unit charges; there is only a problem, if the enemy unit is an artillery battery unlimbered, the cavalry regiment do not charges, but dismounts and begins to fire. The same appens with Zulu warriors: do you have any idea to solve this problem?

Cheers

zulu charging without textures
Last edited by alessillo on Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
born2see
Reactions:

Re: working on mods

Post by born2see »

I don't have an answer but I look forward to the mod. Isandlwana and Rorke's Drift - cool...
Last edited by born2see on Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Those in whose judgment I rely, tell me that I fought the battle splendidly and that it was a masterpiece of art.” - George McClellan to his wife describing the battle of Antietam
Michael Slaunwhite
Reactions:

Post by Michael Slaunwhite »

Hi.

Yes it does look cool. I am wondering how you show the warriors throwing their spears? I mean I don't know if this game engine can handle spears hurtling through the air or not.

Also if you can pull that off maybe there is hope that we can see cannon shells flying through the air.

Cheers...
norb
Reactions:

Post by norb »

Have you tried giving them a rifle with a very short range?
Armchair General
Reactions:

Post by Armchair General »

Hi.

Yes it does look cool. I am wondering how you show the warriors throwing their spears? I mean I don't know if this game engine can handle spears hurtling through the air or not.

Also if you can pull that off maybe there is hope that we can see cannon shells flying through the air.

Cheers...
I didn't think they were used to throw. I think more to jab and stab with than throw. If you throw and miss, you've lost your weapon.
Now we are engaged in a great civil war, testing whether that nation, or any nation so conceived and so dedicated, can long endure.
Michael Slaunwhite
Reactions:

Post by Michael Slaunwhite »

Hi.

Cheers...
I didn't think they were used to throw. I think more to jab and stab with than throw. If you throw and miss, you've lost your weapon.
Hi.

Now that makes allot of sense.

Thanks Armchair General. Oh one more thing, are you the Armchair General which does reviews on games which deal with Strategy?

Cheers...
born2see
Reactions:

Post by born2see »

I think you're right AG, here is quote from Wikipedia "Iklwa. A short Zulu thrusting weapon, so called because of the sound made by the spear as it impaled the body and the sucking sound it made as it was withdrawn from the body."
Last edited by born2see on Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Those in whose judgment I rely, tell me that I fought the battle splendidly and that it was a masterpiece of art.” - George McClellan to his wife describing the battle of Antietam
Armchair General
Reactions:

Post by Armchair General »

Thanks Armchair General. Oh one more thing, are you the Armchair General which does reviews on games which deal with Strategy?

Cheers...

Nope! I made the name in the 7th Grade, when I joined the MMG Forum. At the time, I didn't know that Armchair General was a strategy website/magazine. By the time I learned that, the damage was already done, and when I made the user name here, I just made the same name so people would know who I am at both forums. It was kind of embarrassing when I learned that Armchair General was a real big thing...
Now we are engaged in a great civil war, testing whether that nation, or any nation so conceived and so dedicated, can long endure.
alessillo
Reactions:

Post by alessillo »

miksela: the spear is used as a sword in my melee animation, other warriors have the knobkerrie a sort of club.

norb: I made several tests with shorter ranges, like 40, 30 or 20 and even 10 yards, both cavalry and infantry remain at a few yards and begin to fire. This appens only against artillery, when the enemy is cavalry or infantry the autocharge distance works fine but against a firing battery the autocharge distance don't work.
this is a cavalry unit charging infantry in autocharge range

here a cavalry unit, at close range from an artilley battery, dismounts and begins to fire: I don't know why the cavalry do not charge the enemy that is in autocharge range.
cheers
Last edited by alessillo on Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Little Powell
Reactions:

Post by Little Powell »

I don't know why the cavalry do not charge the enemy that is in autocharge range.
cheers
IIRC, autocharge against artillery was taken out of the game because it caused a bug.. I can't remember what the bug was, but I want to say it caused units to get stuck on artillery or something like that.. Maybe Rebbugler remembers what it was.