Lost Avenue Scenario

Stuck in a part of the game. Here's where the Grogs help the Newbies. Share your best strategies for winning and try someone elses.
born2see
Reactions:

Lost Avenue Scenario

Post by born2see »

As a complete newbie I'm having a problem winning this scenario. First I moved a company up to contact as instructed. I then moved the rest of the regiment for support. I can see my objective sitting right in the middle of a Union brigade. I tried just engaging the Union skirmishers and lost. I then tried to take the objective (not a good idea) and got reprimanded for creating a general engagement as well as getting my butt kicked.

I think I understand that to screen the main force is to keep the Union occupied and away from the Confederate left flank. So what am I doing wrong? Not looking for a detailed explanation on how to win, just some friendly advice.

Thanks
"Those in whose judgment I rely, tell me that I fought the battle splendidly and that it was a masterpiece of art.” - George McClellan to his wife describing the battle of Antietam
Little Powell
Reactions:

Re: Lost Avenue Scenario

Post by Little Powell »

As a complete newbie I'm having a problem winning this scenario. First I moved a company up to contact as instructed. I then moved the rest of the regiment for support. I can see my objective sitting right in the middle of a Union brigade. I tried just engaging the Union skirmishers and lost. I then tried to take the objective (not a good idea) and got reprimanded for creating a general engagement as well as getting my butt kicked.

I think I understand that to screen the main force is to keep the Union occupied and away from the Confederate left flank. So what am I doing wrong? Not looking for a detailed explanation on how to win, just some friendly advice.

Thanks
The idea is to get a feel for the skirmish formation and to screen the enemy position (not to attack the OBJ... It's only there if you are feeling daring). You can rake up 100 points just from skirmishing, and then you will win. Note: Make sure you have the latest version of the scenario. There was a bug in the initial release of the pack that required 1000 points for a major victory. It was fixed and now you only need 100 which can be easily achieved from the skirmishing.
Last edited by Little Powell on Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
born2see
Reactions:

Post by born2see »

Thanks for the help. I only felt daring once :( I do have the correct version and will keep trying. Gotta say this is a great game and a great site. Keep up the good work.
"Those in whose judgment I rely, tell me that I fought the battle splendidly and that it was a masterpiece of art.” - George McClellan to his wife describing the battle of Antietam
born2see
Reactions:

Post by born2see »

LP: I took your advice and I crushed them Blue Bellies. 123 points, 16 to 89 in casualties. I was whoopin' and hollerin', shouting "That Little Powell dude's got nothing on me", getting ready to frame Harper's Weekly and up comes Inconclusive Battle. I was crushed. :( Is that because I didn't take the objective or because of something else I should have accomplished.

I have the correct version of the scenario with the 100 not 1000 VP's

Thanks

PS: I dumped the database for what it's worth.
Last edited by born2see on Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
SouthernSteel
Reactions:

Post by SouthernSteel »

Did you make it pay for its own dinner too?
"The time for compromises is past, and we are now determined to maintain our position and make all who oppose us smell Southern powder, feel Southern steel."
Jefferson Davis, 1861
born2see
Reactions:

Post by born2see »

That's funny! I said it was me not it.
Little Powell
Reactions:

Post by Little Powell »

LP: I took your advice and I crushed them Blue Bellies. 123 points, 16 to 89 in casualties. I was whoopin' and hollerin', shouting "That Little Powell dude's got nothing on me", getting ready to frame Harper's Weekly and up comes Inconclusive Battle. I was crushed. :( Is that because I didn't take the objective or because of something else I should have accomplished.

I have the correct version of the scenario with the 100 not 1000 VP's

Thanks

If you open up the scenario folder, you should see the scenario.ini file

In that file, you should see:

[EndMajWin]
screen=End
grade=100

If you have that, then you have the correct version. If it still says 1,000 then it's still the old version. A 123 should have been a Major Victory.
born2see
Reactions:

Post by born2see »

That was it. The Intro.txt file was correct but not the scenario.ini.

Thanks
Little Powell
Reactions:

Post by Little Powell »

That was it. The Intro.txt file was correct but not the scenario.ini.

Thanks
Ah ok, still must have been the old version. In the old version the intro.txt was correct as well. When you grabbed the updated version, maybe it didn't overwrite or something. I hate when minor mistakes like this cause such annoyance. :(
born2see
Reactions:

Post by born2see »

It may have been my fault. I knew there was a problem but I assumed (you know what that stands for) when I loaded the scenario and saw the VP's that I had the right version. I hadn't won previously so the problem never showed up for me.

With my new resolve to play every scenario until I win, that won't happen again. :dry: