Why doesn't the AI use fences and walls for cover?

Stuck in a part of the game. Here's where the Grogs help the Newbies. Share your best strategies for winning and try someone elses.
Bull
Reactions:

Why doesn't the AI use fences and walls for cover?

Post by Bull »

Sorry if this question has been asked before, but I've noticed that very rarely will the enemy AI take advantage of the cover afforded by fences and walls in a SP game. Is this a known issue, or have i missed something?
Little Powell
Reactions:

Re: Why doesn't the AI use fences and walls for cover?

Post by Little Powell »

Sorry if this question has been asked before, but I've noticed that very rarely will the enemy AI take advantage of the cover afforded by fences and walls in a SP game. Is this a known issue, or have i missed something?
The AI should want to use fences walls whenever they can. I remember when Norb set this up in the code (there's actually a keyboard command for you to do it yourself called Advance to Defensive Position: numpad 7 and 8). Like everything else, it's not perfect but the AI will definitely factor in the walls and fences when they are engaged.
Blaugrana
Reactions:

Post by Blaugrana »

It should, but it doesn't. If you position your troops 20 yards in front of a fence they will often stay just there. Has driven me mad in a couple of scenarios.
norb
Reactions:

Post by norb »

It does use them to a small degree, but the cost of constantly look for fences got too high for so many units so it was a performance decision. I believe that the code will try to stop on a fence in some cases if it crosses over one and is less likely to leave a cover area.