Ancestors

DavidAcheson140PVI
Reactions:

Ancestors

Post by DavidAcheson140PVI »

I have been doing quite a bit of research recently on my family history during the Civil war and specifically at Gettysburg and tracing the Battle services of the various regiments that my relatives were in and I felt like sharing my findings with you all. I had relatives on both sides of the fighting but mostly on the union with 4, 3 of them brothers,and only 1 on the confederates but it levels out because I feel he is relatively important to the Battle of Gettysburg and is someone most of you should know.

Ill start with my rebel ancestor:

Lewis Addison Armistead, Not sure if I need to explain his Civil War history but maybe how he is connected to my family. Well on my mothers side of the family, the Stanly's, My great great great great grandmother Elizabeth Stanly married Lo's father and well thats how.

Now my Union relatives:

All these relatives are on my fathers side of the family

David Acheson was a captain in the 140th Pennsylvania infantry and fought at Chancellorsville and Gettysburg where he died on July 2nd at the Wheatfield, more specifically Stony Hill.

Alexander Acheson was a Lieutenant in the 140th Pennsylvania at the time of Gettysburg also fought in Chancellorsville. When his brother, David, died he buried him under a rock and later they carved his initials and unit name into the rock which you can see on my profile picutre. He also fought in The Wilderness, and Spotsylvania where he was wounded in the face. he later went on to become a politician in exas and ran for Governor,Senator,and Representative. He died in 1934

The one I know the least about is Johnathon Acheson he was enlisted in the 85th Pennsylvania Regiment and was promoted to Captain in 1864 and became a brevet major by the end of the war. He fought at a very great number of battles. This list is from a website containing all the battles and duties the 85th participated in.
Duty in the Defences of Washington, D. C., till March, 1862.
Advance on Manassas, Va., March 10-15.
Moved to the Peninsula March 28.
Siege of Yorktown April 5-May 4.
Battle of Williamsburg May 5.
Reconnoissance to Seven Pines May 24-27.
Skirmishes at Seven Pines, Savage Station and Chickahominy May 24.
Seven Pines May 29.
Battle of Seven Pines, Fair Oaks, May 31-June 1.
Seven days before Richmond June 25-July 1.
Brackett's June 30.
Malvern Hill July 1.
At Harrison's Landing till August 16.
Moved to Fortress Monroe August 16-23, thence to Suffolk September 18,
And duty there till December.
Reconnoissance to Franklin on the Blackwater October 3.
Ordered to New Berne, N. C., December 4.
Foster's Expedition to Goldsboro December 10-21.
Southwest Creek December 13-14.
Kinston December 14.
Whitehall December 16.
Goldsboro December 17.
Service & Battles - 1863
Duty at New Berne, N. C., till January, 1863.
Moved to Port Royal, S.C., January 28-31.
At St. Helena Island, S. C., till April.
At Folly Island, S.C., till July.
Attack on Morris Island July 10.
Assaults on Fort Wagner, Morris, Island, S.C., July 11 and 18.
Siege of Forts Wagner and Gregg, Morris Island,
And operations against Fort Sumpter and Charleston July 18-September 7.
Duty on Morris and Folly Islands operating against Charleston till December.
Moved to Hilton Head, S. C., and duty there till April, 1864.
Expedition to Whitmarsh Island, Ga., February 22.
Moved to Gloucester Point, Va., April.
Butler's operations on south side of James River and
against Petersburg and Richmond May 4-28.
Ware Bottom Church May 9.
Swift Creek or Arrow field Church May 9-10.
Proctor's Creek and operations against Fort Darling May 12-16.
Battle of Drewry's Bluff May 14-16.
Operations on Bermuda Hundred front May 17-30.
Ware Bottom Church May 20.
Port Walthal June 16-17.
Service & Battles - 1864
Siege operations against Petersburg and Richmond June 16 to November 22, 1864.
Ware Bottom Church June 20.
Demonstration on north side of the James at Deep Bottom August 13-20.
Strawberry Plains, Deep Bottom, August 14-18.
Chaffin's Farm, New Market Heights, September 28-30.
Darbytown Road October 7.
Battle of Fair Oaks October 27-28.
Mustered out November 22, 1864

The last relative I have is Michael Zorn who was a drummer boy in the 54th Pennsylvania Regiment. The 54th was formed in 1861 but was stationed in Washington DC and Harpers Ferry until 1863 when the were assigned to the 8th Corps and in 1864 participated in the Battle of New Market, Battle of Piedmont, the 54th was assigned to the army of the james and participated in the attack on Fort Gregg during the Siege of Petersburg. At the Battle of High Bridge Michael was captured alnog with the rest of the regiment and was released following the surrender of the Confederate army a couple days later. The commander of the regiment took home Michael's drum but in 1934 his son gave the drum to my family where we still have it today in a nice viewing case in nearly mint condition with the paint still on it clearing marking the 54th regiment pennsylvania infantry.

If you have any more information on any of these people please do tell me I am always looking for more information on my relatives.
Last edited by DavidAcheson140PVI on Sat Jun 04, 2011 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Virginians with me! Who will come with me?! - Lewis Armistead, July 3rd, 1863
DavidAcheson140PVI
Reactions:

Re: Ancestors

Also I want to hear about any ancestors you all might have?
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

Very nice, thanks for sharing. When you get a chance, post a picture of the Drum...bet the Pawn Stars (History Channel) would promo that beaut...ya know, they've been doing lots of Civil War memorabilia lately.
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
DavidAcheson140PVI
Reactions:

Next time I head over to my grandfathers I will snap a picture and throw it up on here.
NY Cavalry
Reactions:

Post by NY Cavalry »

My GGG Grandfather was a captain in a NY Cavalry outfit doing garrison duty/limited raids on the N Carolina and Virginia coasts. He was far from Gettysburg.

His unit did lead the way for the Union forces moving against Petersburg.
JC Edwards
Reactions:

Post by JC Edwards »

I've been meaning to mention this.......around this past Christmas we found out my lady's GGG Grandfather ( the kidlets GGGG), a William Henry Myers (along with whom it appears to be his brother), was a Trooper in the 1st Tennessee Cavalry from Aug. to Nov. 1862 :)

Nothing's been found as of yet if he (or his brother) re-enlisted after their initial enlistment.

Sarge
'The path that is not seen, nor hidden, should always be flanked'
DavidAcheson140PVI
Reactions:

Forgot to mention that John also served in the 188th Pennsylvanua after the 85th was mustered out of service. He served the rest of the time doing these duties
Duty in trenches before Richmond till March, 1865.
Expedition up the Rappahannock to Fredericksburg and destruction of large quantities of tobacco and stores March 5-8.
Expedition from Fort Monroe into Westmoreland County March 11-13.
March to Signal Hill before Richmond.
Occupation of Richmond April 3.
Guard and provost duty at Lynchburg and in Central Virginia till December, 1865.
Mustered out at City Point, Va., December 14, 1865.
Little Powell
Reactions:

Post by Little Powell »

I have an ancestor who started out in the 7th Kansas Volunteer Cavalry Regiment (also known as "Jennison's Jayhawkers) and later became a Union spy. He was on my Dad's side. I plan to do more research on my mothers side as her family was from the Virginia area (most likely a reb or two in there).

My wife has an ancestor that was in the 48 Georgia Infantry. He was in practically all of the major fights of the Eastern theater, Seven Days, Antietam, Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville, Gettysburg, Appomattox.
Last edited by Little Powell on Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
30th PVI
Reactions:

Post by 30th PVI »

I had several relatives on my dad's side that were in the Union army. One I know of for sure is Hiram Ruth. He enlisted in Co E 30th PVI (1st PA Reserves) and fought with them till he was killed at Spottsylvania Court House.

The rest I don't know to much about.

~Matt
Damned Black Hat
Reactions:

Post by Damned Black Hat »

I have several known ancestors who fought:

Private Adam Epler, who served in Company E, 151st Pennsylvania. Fought at Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville and Gettysburg and survived the war.

Corporal Dennis Donovan, served in Company B of the 28th Massachusetts of the Irish Brigade. Served throughout the war, enlisting in 1861, wounded at Fredericksburg during the famed attack of the Irish Brigade and once more in 1864. Mustered out with the 28th in 1865.

Private John F. Epler, served in Company K, 46th Pennsylvania. Enlisted in 1861 and was wounded in the arm at Antietam, costing him the use of most of his right hand. Survived the wound and the war.

Private John Washington Heffner, served in Company H, 48th Pennsylvania. Enlisted in 1861, notably seeing action at Antietam at Burnside's Bridge. The regiment is most famous for digging the tunnel that allowed the Battle of the Crater to occur. Mustered out with the regiment in 1864.