Scenario 7 On To The Round Tops (Div)

Stuck in a part of the game. Here's where the Grogs help the Newbies. Share your best strategies for winning and try someone elses.
gunship24
Reactions:

Scenario 7 On To The Round Tops (Div)

Post by gunship24 »

After playing all weekend to try to beat this scenario I finally did it. I dont know much about the variants but im guessing theres several. I kept getting a version where the Union either reinforce Little Round Top or Devils Den. Both of these places are hard enough to take and secure without reinforcements arriving. I was finally going to give up and move on when on my sixth attempt I got a variant where the Union came off Devils Den and decided to attack my Rebel hordes with disastrous results, sending them flying, leaving me to peacefully occupy Devils Den and surround Little Round Top and taking it before eventually moving on to and taking the wheat field, scoring 4600 for my efforts.

What is the strategy for taking the objectives in the harder variants? The best score ive managed to get is just over 2600 but i run out of time to accumulate the 3500 required. I can take Devils Den and Little Round Top in the time limit but my regiments get tired very quickly when engaged and dont have enough fresh regiments left to take the wheat field in the given time. The union reinforcements also slow my process down. With the advent of patch 1.2 would like to know if the patch has made these variants harder than before?

Playing on normal, no mods. Thanks.
Baldwin
Reactions:

Re: Scenario 7 On To The Round Tops (Div)

Post by Baldwin »

Yeah I think with the new fatigue settings it would be difficult to get a major victory when the Union occupies both Little Roundtop and Devil's Den. I never got the one where they attack from Devil's, but with the old fatigue settings I still got a major victory, you just had to strike quick before reinforcements arrive.
born2see
Reactions:

Post by born2see »

So I just started to play this scenario and I noticed some things which might be obvious to others but not to me.

The first thing I noticed as I was experimenting with the different TC commands was that the 15th and 47th Alabama detached themselves after a minute and took off for the Devil's Den. Resisting the urge to have their commanders shot on the spot I went instead to the battlescript.csv where I discovered that was scripted and after 8 minutes they would re-attach themselves.

The next thing I noticed was that Benning, Robertson, and Anderson also had urgent business at the DD as well. I had wondered when I first started this scenario why they didn't much pay attention to the initial orders I had given them.

Sheffield, on the other hand didn't have anywhere in particular to go so there he sat.

My question is when you first start the scenario, how do you know about this behavior? I know there are historic reasons for this and I do try to research these scenarios before I play them, but it can be confusing the first time through. For example, the 15th and 47th went way right historically and the 15th ended up on the top of (big?) Round Top which is why I assume there is an objective there.

I'm not being critical, I am just trying to understand the thinking of the scenario designers. I just finished the Rodes scenario and in that one everyone just sat there until I ordered to them to slaughter at the hands of the Iron Brigade. :ohmy:

As usual, thank you.
Last edited by born2see on Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Those in whose judgment I rely, tell me that I fought the battle splendidly and that it was a masterpiece of art.” - George McClellan to his wife describing the battle of Antietam
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

Good observations sir. The questioned motives here are historic in nature, and were explained in detail many months ago. Briefly, some units are detached to assume historic destinations through rugged terrain, plus the expansion of the division line, and reattached as the terrain permitted and the brigades regrouped. Why you weren't told this up front, I can't answer, that's for the designer to explain. I do know that future designs will explain up front if the player's troops will be messed with...it'll save us a bunch of time not having to explain afterwards.

Good luck with this scenario, it's lots of fun, and as you've heard, a big challenge. Try to win it honorably, but if that fails, go ahistoric, and bring up the arty. :evil:

Keep buggin us, and we'll throw in some tips. My tip for the day...Blow off going after the Big Round Top, that just delays the job at hand and has few points to offer.
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
born2see
Reactions:

Post by born2see »

Thanks RB. Your advice is invaluable, as always. I have noticed a few red herrings in some of these scenarios which I always seem to fall for. If I listen carefully I can hear you guys chuckling in the background when that happens :S
The questioned motives here are historic in nature, and were explained in detail many months ago.
I apologize for any redundancy. I always try to search the forums for answers before I post but sometimes I overlook things. I know people hate to say the same things again and again because someone didn't take the time to read before they asked. I've even noticed that myself where someone will ask a question discussed a few posts before in the same thread.

Thanks again.
"Those in whose judgment I rely, tell me that I fought the battle splendidly and that it was a masterpiece of art.” - George McClellan to his wife describing the battle of Antietam
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

After playing all weekend to try to beat this scenario I finally did it. I dont know much about the variants but im guessing theres several. I kept getting a version where the Union either reinforce Little Round Top or Devils Den. Both of these places are hard enough to take and secure without reinforcements arriving. I was finally going to give up and move on when on my sixth attempt I got a variant where the Union came off Devils Den and decided to attack my Rebel hordes with disastrous results, sending them flying, leaving me to peacefully occupy Devils Den and surround Little Round Top and taking it before eventually moving on to and taking the wheat field, scoring 4600 for my efforts.

What is the strategy for taking the objectives in the harder variants? The best score ive managed to get is just over 2600 but i run out of time to accumulate the 3500 required. I can take Devils Den and Little Round Top in the time limit but my regiments get tired very quickly when engaged and dont have enough fresh regiments left to take the wheat field in the given time. The union reinforcements also slow my process down. With the advent of patch 1.2 would like to know if the patch has made these variants harder than before?

Playing on normal, no mods. Thanks.
Sorry we didn't address this.

Regarding strategies to beat the tough variants, there are no fixed or recorded guidelines. The tough variants are included for replay value. Still, I'm guessing any variant can be beat, the save game function makes that possible, so you can keep pluggin away, over and over til you get it right. :S :S :S :cheer:
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
born2see
Reactions:

Post by born2see »

I'm guessing any variant can be beat, the save game function makes that possible
Thank goodness for the save game! I use it all the time to try different tactics without having to start over. Since I'm in the middle of this scenario right now I suspect I'll be using it quit a bit, as usual. :(
born2see
Reactions:

Post by born2see »

RebBugler wrote:
Regarding strategies to beat the tough variants, there are no fixed or recorded guidelines. The tough variants are included for replay value. Still, I'm guessing any variant can be beat, the save game function makes that possible, so you can keep pluggin away, over and over til you get it right

Such encouraging words. 3117. What does an easy variant look like so I can only hope that next time I'll get one. :(
Last edited by born2see on Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Little Powell
Reactions:

Post by Little Powell »

RebBugler wrote:
Regarding strategies to beat the tough variants, there are no fixed or recorded guidelines. The tough variants are included for replay value. Still, I'm guessing any variant can be beat, the save game function makes that possible, so you can keep pluggin away, over and over til you get it right

Such encouraging words. 3117. What does an easy variant look like so I can only hope that next time I'll get one. :(
I'm pretty sure that the easier variants just have Vincent defending LRT like he did historically. The harder variants also bring Sweitzer to support him.
born2see
Reactions:

Post by born2see »

Little Powell wrote:
I'm pretty sure that the easier variants just have Vincent defending LRT like he did historically. The harder variants also bring Sweitzer to support him.
I think I've got that one because I was able to take both the Devil's Den and LRT by 16:53. I sent Anderson and Sheffield to DD and Benning and Robertson to LRT. I never had any sort of counter attack at LRT but haven't been able to hold DD.

So my next plan is to send one of my brigades back down to DD to help hold it against the onslaught. I don't want to complain but I watched one Union regiment send three of Anderson's packing, one right after another. I know they were tough but come on...

Anyway, I'm working from my saved game where I have both objectives. I'm not going to try and take LRT with one brigade until I've beaten it like that.

By the way, the Wheatfield is some kind of pipe dream as far as I'm concerned. Maybe when I get those stars... :P

Thanks as always,

B