Flying a Spitfire

We're gamers, so here is a good place to discuss other games you are playing or are curious about.
Blaugrana
Reactions:

Flying a Spitfire

Post by Blaugrana »

I've been neglecting SoW over the last few weeks as I try to learn how to fly a spitfire.

I will land it one day ...

I've been doing this on a very realistic flight sim called Battle of Britain II. You can pilot planes from both sides and/or lead the campaign. This thread gives a taste (including links to videos):

http://shockwaveproductions.com/forum/v ... php?t=5082
Jack ONeill
Reactions:

Re: Flying a Spitfire

Post by Jack ONeill »

B,

Noticed your post and downloaded the Demo for BoB. WTF, over? Are you using a joystick or not? I can't seem to get it to cooperate with mine. Can't fly the damn planes with keyboard controls. Great graphics though. Also, how do you find out what the controls are? Doesn't seem to be anything in the demo to tell you.

BTW, have you tried IL2 Sturmovik? I was running that until my old comp died. Great flight Sim. It is older but a new version, Cliffs of Dover, is coming out, (supoposedly), in late March. BoB and all that.

Anyway, Cherrio! Back to flying BF-109s against the Russkies, (and getting shot down a lot), with the old IL2 Demo. It will run on Window 7. The actual game won't load.

Jack O'Neill B)
American by birth, Californian by geography, Southerner by the Grace of God.

"Molon Labe"
Jack ONeill
Reactions:

Post by Jack ONeill »

B,

If I had a brain I'd be dangerous. Found the control set up. Joystick works now. Still can't find "where" on the keyboard controls are supposed to be. Oh well.

Jack B)

"Molon Labe"
Blaugrana
Reactions:

Post by Blaugrana »

Hi Jack,

I have bought a joystick to play 'fly' BoB. I am still more likely than not to crash on landing, even in a Tiger Moth. I have, once, successfully landed a Spitfire at an airfield.

I bought a DVD version of the game from Amazon here in the UK and then patched it using a free downloadable patch from the group of enthusiastic experts who have brought a previous version to where it is now. There's a 450-page manual (with a printable 'map' of the keyboard & a summary of commands compared to IL2) and at least one forum.

http://a2asimulations.com/forum/viewtop ... 10&t=21865

I have read a little bit about Cliffs of Dover. For the moment I've got my hands full with BoB II - alternating between trying to dogfight with ME109's and learning to do a circuit on a Tiger Moth (which should, of course, come first).

As a child I always wanted to fly a Spitfire, as my dad flew spitfires & hurricanes in the war. This is about as close as I'll get!

Cheers,
Last edited by Blaugrana on Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jack ONeill
Reactions:

Post by Jack ONeill »

B,

Right on for your Dad. Mine missed WW2 by days but flew F9F Panthers for the U.S. Navy in Korea. Keep at it. I crash regularly also. :laugh:

Jack B)

"Molon Labe"
Marmusman
Reactions:

Post by Marmusman »

I have been flying IL-2 for over 10 years. Great game and huge worldwide online community even though the game is over 10 years old. It has a huge MOD community.

I belong to a Bf-109 squad that has 3 main "staffels" - Europe, USA and Australian from which members fly missions with in their timezones.

Hyperlobby is also a main gateway program that connects IL-2 players together.

It is worth looking into. Especially with Cliff of Dover, the next generation of of the IL-2 game engine, being released in April.
...just my 2 cents,
Marmus

Visit www.impedimentsofwar.org, the Civil War Talk Radio website.