Website Suspended!!!

Got problems with the site. An idea on how to make it better. This is the place to discuss it.
norb
Reactions:

Website Suspended!!!

Post by norb »

If you have tried to log in today, you probably saw that the accout/website has been suspended. This was very fun to come home to today. Ruined my entire day trying to figure out what was wrong. Our webhost, JustHost, is something rare!

It appears that I had too many modules on the front page of the site, those little boxes showing information. I thought it was cool, but it ended up that they were making a ton of database queries. This caused loading our front page to use over 10% of the cpu on the shared server. When the geniuses saw this, they disabled the entire account and sent an email to me. As the email address that they have, is one that they host, and they disabled the account, I never received the email. So they just shut down everything, the email, the logins, mailing lists, website, everything that we count on. Since I could not access the site, I could not find out what was wrong.

So I spent the day trying to get an answer out of someone there. It was hard, lots of back and forth, and they finally relented and sent me a link that said that joomla sites sometimes do this because of too many modules on the front page. Then I asked to bring the site online to fix it, nope! I can't fix it. It took me hours to find the problem, and now they won't let me fix it and if it goes bad again they'll just shut me down again with no warning. If we didn't have enough to do already we'd be out of here.

So I finally just took a chance, brought it online and started disabling modules on the front page. I cut a ton out and I think it's ok now. At least as of right now it's still up.
Mozirry
Reactions:

Re: Website Suspended!!!

Post by Mozirry »

lol thats good, I think we were worried you didn't pay the bill hahah ;)
Michael Slaunwhite
Reactions:

Post by Michael Slaunwhite »

Hi.

Perhaps it would be better to move on to a company which considers their clients needs. Mistakes are always made so for them to do this without even allowing you to fix the problem is something that would start me on the road to look for a better server.

Just my two cents worth.

Cheers, and I hope you fixed the problem Norb.
RDBoles
Reactions:

Post by RDBoles »

I agree with Mike on this one.
Move Forward
norb
Reactions:

Post by norb »

I would, and thanks for the Email about it. Thankfully my regular email is still through my old host. So I got them. I was thinking of just upping my fios to their top tier and hosting it myself. I'll still look into that.
RDBoles
Reactions:

Post by RDBoles »

I'm glad everything is back. This is my favorite site. I don't always respond or submit my opinion, but I check in and read eveything and down load all the mods etc. Keep up the great work and am looking forward to new mods and new maps. Did I mention maps? Yes I think I did mention maps. If I didn't mention maps then, then let me mention maps. I would like more maps. And if I have to pay then I will pay,gladly. Did I mention I would gladly pay.......:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Move Forward
norb
Reactions:

Post by norb »

We're still up! I guess that I fixed it sufficiently. I still just cannot believe that they suspended the entire account. Gonna have to visit all the review sites and relate my experience. It's the only way we have to fight back against ridiculous procedures.
Michael Slaunwhite
Reactions:

Post by Michael Slaunwhite »

Hi Norb.

That's good news. I'm new to all of this server, website thing, and I am wondering, have you ever looked at google for your server needs?

Anyway, I'm just thinking here.

Cheers...