Changes to the Website!

Got problems with the site. An idea on how to make it better. This is the place to discuss it.
Hancock the Superb
Reactions:

Re:Changes to the Website!

Post by Hancock the Superb »

No, they are molassas chew!
Hancock the Superb
ironsight
Reactions:

Post by ironsight »

Norb:
A forum which allows all or one of its members (who i won't mention:dry: ) to plant cookies on every other member's PC is...well unheard of and quite possibly borders on unethical.

What if everyone here decides to parrot the unmentioned one and decides they want their own private little 'cooky' also? Imagine every member's PC with hundreds or thousands of these things infesting their PC! :evil:

This is just WRONG!: :S :woohoo:
norb
Reactions:

Post by norb »

I doubt it is isolated to this forum. I would have to conclude that it could happen anywhere that allows these types of signatures.

Do you really think that I had any idea about any of this? For something to be unethical, there would have to be intent, so chill out please.
norb
Reactions:

Post by norb »

It's interesting. btw - a png file is a graphic file like a jpg, it's nothing malicious. I've used them many times.

Also - xfire is used all over the web, just searched, it's in a million signatures and does nothing malicious to your computer. If you have the "only accept cookies from sites I visit" it won't load.

I deleted it off of my computer and it did not affect the going to the last page bug that you describe. I confirmed that it was no longer on my box and even put on the setting about not accepting cookies. None of these items caused the problems that you describe.

Basically it's the web, a ton of stuff is downloaded to your computer from sites that you visit. Our site installs cookies itself. Yes, xfire is sneaky as it advertises that it's just a png file, but it's actually mapped to a cookie download too. But it's known and accepted and not considered spyware by the spyware tools that I use. You can read about it on their website.

I don't consider this a problem or a threat and do not plan on taking any action. There is no ability for me to turn off that feature in this board anyway and I would have to disable a whole bunch to lose it. Also, since it's accepted by most major gaming site, I don't consider worthy of any more action.
Amish John
Reactions:

Post by Amish John »

I hope this isn't going to cut into Norb's 2AM through 5AM coding time.
You can get farther with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone.
ironsight
Reactions:

Post by ironsight »

Norb:
I'll admit this is the first forum i'm on that uses this format and all this business of members writing cookies on other member's PCs is big news to me. I also believe everything you've said and truly believe there is no mal intent on your part and especially poor estabu who has taken the brunt of this.

Having said that, while these .png cookies may be harmless initially, what are the safe gaurds to ensure no malware is embedded in them? Are these things going to be perpetually monitored and screened for trojans, viruses, etc. generated perhaps by a future clever hacker?

I will also admit that i'm on the paranoid side of this because i had to reformat my hard drive twice in the last several years because of viruses. Two lessons well learned and never to be repeated!

Since you consider the matter closed, i will just keep blocking the cookies and live with the problems. If i do find something on my end causing these download problems, i'll definitely let you know for the history book if nothing else.

Thanks anyhow Norb for spending the time to look into this.
estabu2
Reactions:

Post by estabu2 »

I ate the rest of the cookies guys, sorry, ironsight your sweet tooth should be ok now:laugh: :woohoo: :P
"It is strange, to have a shell come so near you...you can feel the wind."
ironsight
Reactions:

Post by ironsight »

Estabu,
I don't think deleting your cookie solved my goofy download issues. That theory though it looked plausable at the time might have gone down the drain. I will however keep blocking all unnecessary cookies.

Based on Norb's last post here, its official policy now for members to have .png cookies...so enjoy those cookies of yours! ;):)

Estabu, if you could do me a favor though, can you keep your cookie off for a day or two so i can do a little more experimenting with some IE settings as i'm not a 100% sure of anything at this point because i'm still getting IE 'errors on page' text.
While i'm doing this i would like to exclude the cookie variable from the mix as there is a remote possibility this could be a compound root cause issue.
Before i throw in the towel, i'd like to uncover every stone within sight :S
Thanks ;)
estabu2
Reactions:

Post by estabu2 »

Ok, I won't make anymore for a little while.:)
"It is strange, to have a shell come so near you...you can feel the wind."
Ephrum
Reactions:

Post by Ephrum »

estabu2 wrote:
Ok, I won't make anymore for a little while.:)
Not even chocolate chip!! Come on man, have mercy!!
OHIO UNIVERSITY