We want those guns

Stuck in a part of the game. Here's where the Grogs help the Newbies. Share your best strategies for winning and try someone elses.
Mayonaise
Reactions:

We want those guns

Post by Mayonaise »

Anyone beaten this scenario?

I'm getting murdered. I find that trying to take the wheatfield is pretty futile... the artillery eats you up and the reinforcements quickly swamp whatever is left.

One thing I haven noticed is if you hold you ground for a couple minutes the sharpshooters will wander off.. which is good because as they are now, it's like having a machine gun on your flank. (the first play they routed 3 regiments i had sent to drive them off)

Can you beat this one without taking the wheatfield? I think on my next play I'm just going to swarm the first objective and bring up the artillery and set up defensive positions against the yankee reinforcements.
norb
Reactions:

Re: We want those guns

Post by norb »

Everyone that has the rank of SOW General has beaten all the scenario :)
Little Powell
Reactions:

Re:We want those guns

Post by Little Powell »

Mayonaise wrote:
Anyone beaten this scenario?

I'm getting murdered. I find that trying to take the wheatfield is pretty futile... the artillery eats you up and the reinforcements quickly swamp whatever is left.

One thing I haven noticed is if you hold you ground for a couple minutes the sharpshooters will wander off.. which is good because as they are now, it's like having a machine gun on your flank. (the first play they routed 3 regiments i had sent to drive them off)

Can you beat this one without taking the wheatfield? I think on my next play I'm just going to swarm the first objective and bring up the artillery and set up defensive positions against the yankee reinforcements.
I haven't played this one in a while so I'm not a good person to offer any advice, but what I can say is keep trying. There are different variants, some hard, some very hard, and some not so hard.. Keep trying, use your artillery, and if there's an OBJ that is costing you a lot to take, ignore it.
Mayonaise
Reactions:

Post by Mayonaise »

Finally beat it on the 7th try wtih a score of 9500. (7,000 for major victory). The primary difference was the timing of the Union reinforcements. The huge mass still came, but much later. I guess I was just getting the tough variants repeatedly.
Little Powell
Reactions:

Post by Little Powell »

Mayonaise wrote:
Finally beat it on the 7th try wtih a score of 9500. (7,000 for major victory). The primary difference was the timing of the Union reinforcements. The huge mass still came, but much later. I guess I was just getting the tough variants repeatedly.
Either that or you're your general skills are increasing. Nice work. :)
Vossiewulf
Reactions:

Post by Vossiewulf »

Key here is to get Kershaw across the orchard FAST and link up with Anderson to make a contiguous line; if you do that, Anderson will probably do ok, if not, he will get chewed up and you'll have a very hard go of it to get the wheat field. While Kershaw is running across, have Barksdale and Wofford pin the Union troops to your direct front, while Semmes flanks them from the south.

Send a regiment or two from Semmes on banzai charges to go after the Union artillery, those regiments will be trashed but the arty threatening your advance will be cleared. After that (assuming Kershaw/Anderson are doing ok and Barksdale/Wofford have been successful doing a large scale left wheel around Kershaw/Anderson) move as many of your guns as you can to the rocky outcrop just SW of the wheatfield, from there they can severely ruin the day of any Union reinforcements.

I got 7305 my first try, I could probably do better.
John Buford
Reactions:

Post by John Buford »

This one is killing me.

I've tried Vossie's tactics many times to no avail. They certainly seem sound on paper.

I've had the best luck screwing around and just making an end run moving the entire division across the Emmitsburgh Road, south of the orchard on Anderson's immediate left, and supporting my left with arty.

Still haven't accrued more than 5000 VP's.

I guess I shouldn't quit my day job.
"They will attack you in the morning and they will come booming–skirmishers three deep. You will have to fight like the devil until supports arrive."
- General John Buford at Gettysburg.
John Buford
Reactions:

Post by John Buford »

Has anyone beaten GB-11 on normal since patch 1.10 was released?
"They will attack you in the morning and they will come booming–skirmishers three deep. You will have to fight like the devil until supports arrive."
Little Powell
Reactions:

Post by Little Powell »

Thresher wrote:
There really hasn't been any changes that would effect the scenarios like that... The only thing that would have effected them some was the artillery enhancements, but those were made in the 2nd Beta Patch.

I'll give it a run this afternoon and see if I can give you some tips. It's been a while since I've played it, so I can't remember anything specific.
Last edited by Little Powell on Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
John Buford
Reactions:

Post by John Buford »

Little Powell wrote:
Thresher wrote:
There really hasn't been any changes that would effect the scenarios like that... The only thing that would have effected them some was the artillery enhancements, but those were made in the 2nd Beta Patch.

I'll give it a run this afternoon and see if I can give you some tips. It's been a while since I've played it, so I can't remember anything specific.
Thanks LP,

I wouldn't have thought so, but I'm grasping at straws here. I'm no armchair general, but the shear number of times I've tried this and the suggested strat's I've employed by victors of this scenario still leave me woefully short of the VP conditions.

McLaws must prevail!