The Bullet is not Molded. . .

Stuck in a part of the game. Here's where the Grogs help the Newbies. Share your best strategies for winning and try someone elses.
Little Powell
Reactions:

Re: The Bullet is not Molded. . .

Post by Little Powell »

As an update, I finally beat this scenario several weeks ago with the tremendous score of 4,006! Actually, I felt it was my best game tactically. After a bloody fight at the top of the knoll, I had my line down at the creek and was planning a full scale counterattack when I noticed I only had a few minutes left in the game, so I waited for the time to run out. I'll take my promotion and be happy with it:)

Now I'm stuck in the McLaws Scenario. Where did all those Yankees come from?!

BillF
Ah yes, it's a tough one.. But one of my favorites. There's a good thread here:

http://norbsoftdev.com/index.php?option ... =124#23279

Check a couple posts from the bottom, you'll see a pretty detailed AAR I posted. Good luck!
Element UK
Reactions:

Post by Element UK »

Forgive me guys...Is 'the Knoll' the woods in front of the union troops at the start? Are people rushing troops forward into this. Hanging around the fence line immediately in front of those woods etc? Or coming back to the rise so as to get the High Ground bonus as the Rebs come out of the woods?

Is it Schurz who gets the points when placed on the Objective point?

Additional: Just tried some of these things and got rewarded with a Maj.Defeat! lol. Must be going wrong somewhere obviously.
Last edited by Element UK on Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marching Thru Georgia
Reactions:

Post by Marching Thru Georgia »

Unlike the last scenario I wrote about, this is one of my least favorite. It really demonstrates the silliness of the point system and how the win totals were derived. Your goal is not to fight the battle so as to aid the AOP in it's defense of Gettysburg. Your goal is to accumulate enough points to win. You will find this to be true of a number of scenarios. To do so, you only have two objectives. Remain in control of Cemetery Hill, (easy), and Barlow's Knoll, (hard). Forget about everything else. Leave only enough troops and the commander on Cemetery Hill to satisfy the objective. Move everything else to the knoll and it's flanks. Hold it for as long as you can. Only when absolutely forced to do so, perform a fighting retreat. Good luck.
I can make this march and I will make Georgia howl.
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

It really demonstrates the silliness of the point system and how the win totals were derived. Your goal is not to fight the battle so as to aid the AOP in it's defense of Gettysburg. Your goal is to accumulate enough points to win.
Yeah, also the "point system" here includes an uncontested objective necessary for a Major Victory. 'Tricky' is my word for this scenario...still, it entertains...
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
Element UK
Reactions:

Post by Element UK »

I was better off pulling back to fence lines and making them shoot at me from the open. I've tried the advice here and I get slaughtered with 2 Major Defeat's in a row now. It's really getting to me this scenario sheesh...

Oh for some Regular and Seasoned troops!
Last edited by Element UK on Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marching Thru Georgia
Reactions:

The fences are your friends. Don't move your men into the woods and look for trouble. The rebs will come to you.
Element UK
Reactions:

Post by Element UK »

Nope, the fences only pretend to be your friends, but really their made of chocolate!

3rd Defeat now.

I'm hoping an expert at this scenario will make a fraps movie of their Maj.Victory lol
Last edited by Element UK on Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Marching Thru Georgia
Reactions:

Are you moving your artillery into canister range to help out the infantry?
Element UK
Reactions:

Post by Element UK »

Every chance I get.
Jack ONeill
Reactions:

Post by Jack ONeill »

E,

Because of the way I play, I have found it a good idea to park my sorry ass up as close to the front lines as I can, moving constantly to where troops are starting to fade. My inspiring presence can make a difference to a unit holding on a little longer. Downside, I've been shot a few times doing this. All for the Union, eh?

My ha'penny here.

Jack B)
American by birth, Californian by geography, Southerner by the Grace of God.

"Molon Labe"