Second Beta Patch v1.01

Game won't run. Keeps crashing. Hopefully we won't get any posts here, but if we do, we'll try to help you out. You can also post any bugs that you find here. IMPORTANT: Don't post mod related problems here!
norb
Reactions:

Second Beta Patch v1.01

Post by norb »

Here's our second shot at this. The major reason for doing these is to get the fixes out quicker. We have about 10 more bugs on the list that we want to address in the official first patch, so it's taking a while. By releasing these betas, it gives us a chance to get you the fixes faster. You get the fixes, we get some extra testing, everyone makes out.

They are fully tested and no different than regular patches except that you can only get them here. Nothing is preventing that, but hopefully no one will mirror it since there's a password.

www.scourgeofwar.com/Downloads/Beta/SOWGBBetaV101.exe

MD5: 520BB4FA13539E1D28E29B5691F6B8CA

user: beta
pass: tester

If you install this and don't like it, you can go back to the old. All of your saved games, etc. will be fine.

**** BETA 2 *** BETA 2 ** BETA 2 ******************
Changes in Scourge of War: Gettysburg from Release version 1.00 to the first patch version 1.##. Patch Release Date: ## April 2010.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
* A "Restart Current Level" capability has been added to the Load Game Screen.
* A bug causing a crash when units were very near a map edge has been corrected.
* A bug causing improper display of the commander bonus icon has been repaired.
* A bug that caused a crash when selecting a cavalry corps in sandbox games has been fixed.
* A bug that caused intercepted courier messages to be read illegibly has been fixed.
* A bug where units lying down under artillery fire would stand up with a hit and then lie down again with the next has been fixed.
* A non-historical building at the edge of the Wheatfield has been removed.
* A spelling error in General von Steinwehr's name in the OOB was corrected.
* An improper assignment of artillery ammo has been corrected. This will improve artillery effectiveness.
* An initial loading screen has been added.
* An option to invoke or suppress automatic mapping of router ports for Multiplayer has been added on Option Screen I.
* Chat boxes in MP lobby now accommodate long messages.
* Code to reduce regiments wheeling back and forth when multiple enemy units are in range has been upgraded.
* Couriers no longer arrive but fail to deliver messages.
* Extra hidden units from GB07-GB20 have been removed to improve performance.
* Historical stone quarries near Willoughby Run near the edge of the McPherson farm cornfield have been added.
* In game notices such as "Game Saved" will now be displayed along with in-game chat by pressing the F2 key.
* In Tutorial 1, players will now score points for all objectives except the first one and must complete all objectives to win. This tutorial will now end just after the last objective has been completed.
* In Tutorial 2, the text description of the objective circle on the ground has been corrected.
* Keyboard mapping has been upgraded to support non-English fonts and characters.
* Objective point values in GB18 have been changed.
* Objective point values in GB19 have been changed.
* Objective timing and "Forces Available" listing in GB03 have been corrected.
* Orders with delayed execution time sent by courier messages to AI-controlled units now works in single-player but is not yet working in multiplayer games.
* Pressing "Raid Weak Units" no longer crashes the game.
* Promotion list values have been corrected on the Single Player High Scores screen.
* Replacement leaders spawned when the original leader is killed on a road march no longer continue the road march.
* Small changes made to the map files to prevent units from getting stuck next to buildings were made.
* Smoke animations continue while the game is paused.
* Start time and Objective point values in GB12 have been changed.
* The "Cancel" button has been removed from Main Screen.
* The artillery tutorial has been modified for easier learning.
* The bug that occasionally caused units to have no firing sounds has been fixed.
* The bug that would crash the game if a player hit the "Set Officer" button without selecting either a sandbox or scenario game in multiplayer.
* The bug which prevented the cursor from showing correctly on multi-monitor systems has been fixed.
* The bug which prevented units from accepting destinations on high ground has been fixed.
* The game manual text has been corrected concerning the map objects options
* The game will now write an autosave file in Multiplayer. The file name will be "_automulti.sav."
* The OOB display in Sandbox battle at "Army vs. Army" size has been changed to include the full Army OOB.
* The score needed for a major victory in GB07 has been changed.
* The volume on infantry combat sound files has been increased.
* Tutorial 1 is now available in the demo version.
* Uninstalling the game now automatically tries to send a deactivation message to the DRM server.
* Unit strengths for Cutler's brigade in GB01 have been corrected.
* Widths of the areas along some fences and walls have been adjusted to make it easier to get the Defensive Bonus.

===============================
Little Powell
Reactions:

Re:Second Beta Patch v1.01

Post by Little Powell »

Also want to add that the size of this download is much smaller than the full game download. It's around 114 megs.
GShock
Reactions:

Re: Second Beta Patch v1.01

Post by GShock »

While this changelog list is already impressive the way it is, there are, hidden among major ctd causes (which I luckily didn't experience) some KEY upgrades that I can't wait to see.

Since I have no choice but to wait for the DL to complete, I will now count the numbers...

45 changes.

Amazing!
Amish John
Reactions:

Post by Amish John »

Looks like someone's been busy. Can't wait to get home tonight to try it.
You can get farther with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone.
norb
Reactions:

Post by norb »

Little Powell wrote:
Also want to add that the size of this download is much smaller than the full game download. It's around 114 megs.
Yeah, all I did was cut out the Graphics/Units folder and knocked over 100 meg off the download. :laugh:
BOSTON
Reactions:

Post by BOSTON »

An improper assignment of artillery ammo has been corrected. This will improve artillery effectiveness.

Did this effect the AI artillery also?
HOISTINGMAN4

Drafted in Boston
GShock
Reactions:

Post by GShock »

I can safely assert that there was no sound improvement at all for me. I still only hear the cannons and cannister rounds blasting but musket is between muffled and non existent. Considering I played with 10yds camera restriction and I was moving left and right on the battlefield to see where to move troops, I'd say the sound increase didn't work at all for me.

What I noticed instead is a consistent increase in fps which, of course, made me very happy. :)

I will start playing all tutorials again to see if this second beta changed something. I am obviously very curious about artillery efficiency.
BOSTON
Reactions:

Post by BOSTON »

A "Restart Current Level" capability has been added to the Load Game Screen

I like this feature, the game get's so intense sometimes, that I need to take a break, do a research, ect.. Can't wait to try it out. :cheer:

BOSTON :)
HOISTINGMAN4

Drafted in Boston
Krille
Reactions:

Post by Krille »

I just installed the new patch and tried the artillery tutorial. I got 9 enemy kills. The yankees never came within cannister range so they are solid/shell kills.

Dont know if this is normal but it seems a little low when firing for 30 minutes?

Krille
Shirkon
Reactions:

Post by Shirkon »

BOSTON wrote:
An improper assignment of artillery ammo has been corrected. This will improve artillery effectiveness.

Did this effect the AI artillery also?
The improper assignment did effect the AI since it used the same file as users do. Basically solid shot and shrapnel were swapped in one of the .csv files. Unfortunately this effected the Confederate guns more then the Union since the Confederates also have the built in faulty fuse issue they contended with throughout the Civil War.
War is cruelty. There is no use trying to reform it. The crueler it is, the sooner it will be over.

Sherman, December 1863, remark to a Tennessee woman.