Scourge of War Auto Updater & Tutorial (disabled)

He's on the board and he writes tons of useful tools to make modding that much easier.
Garnier
Reactions:

Scourge of War Auto Updater & Tutorial (disabled)

Post by Garnier »

This is a tutorial for players using the Mod Updater.
By the end, you will have the Mod Updater installed, and have a mod installed and working in game. It might take a little time to figure it out, but if you use this system you won't have to download and install mods manually at all, which will make mod use very easy.

1. DOWNLOAD the Mod Updater.

2. EXTRACT the contents of ModUpdater.zip to any location.

3. Double-Click "LaunchModUpdater.exe"

4. Now you should see this:

5. Click "Set Game Paths -> Browse for Game Folder..."

6. Select your "Scourge of War - Gettysburg" folder and click OK.

7. Now click "Set Game Paths -> Browse for Game Executable..." and select "SOWGB.exe "which is inside your "Scourge of War - Gettysburg" folder.

8. Now you are ready to install mods. Click "Mods -> Add new mod..."

9. Paste the URL of the mod into the dialog and click OK. Find mod urls in the Released Mods Index.

10. Now you should see this button that says "Update FictionalOOBPack". Click it.

11. It will automatically install the latest version of this mod to your game folder. Now click "Play FictionalOOBPack" and it will close the Mod Updater and start the game.

12. In the game, click "Modifications" in the main menu, and double click "FictionalOOBPack" in the list of mods. Then click the Checkmark button.

This mod installs a set of fictional Sandbox OOBs. You can use them in Sandbox mode. The beauty of this is that if I make an update to this mod, all you have to do to get the update is click "Update FictionalOOBPack", rather than downloading and installing the mod manually every time it is updated. This updater can be used with any number of mods.

If you had any problems doing this please post so I can find out what's wrong and fix it or explain it.
Last edited by Garnier on Wed May 26, 2010 6:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Play Scourge of War Multiplayer! www.sowmp.com
Also try the singleplayer carryover campaign
rudy
Reactions:

Re:Tutorial for using the Mod Updater, with OOB Pack

Post by rudy »

I followed your install instructions, and the OOB pack folders and fictional are installed in the game. I can check them in the Modifications, but the OOB's don't show up in the Sandbox Battles page as selectable oob's.

I checked inthe game folders, and there are not any excel files in the FictionalOOBPack or TC2M_OOBPack folders.
Garnier
Reactions:

Post by Garnier »

OK, thanks for testing it. You're the first person beside me who's used it, so I didn't have a way to know if it would work for others yet. It's too late for me to try to fix it tonight unfortunately, but next chance I get I'll try to figure it out.

This is difficult because it works for me and I can't see your files to know what happened.

A couple things you could check that would be helpful:

1. First tell me if there is an OOBs folder in the FictionalOOBPack folder inside your game's Mods folder.

2. Then tell me if there is a "Files" folder inside your ModUpdater/ModUpdater/Mods/FictionalOOBPack/ folder.

If it worked like mine, 1 is true and 2 is false.
Last edited by Garnier on Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rudy
Reactions:

Post by rudy »

1. No, both are empty

2. No, there is only a url text document in each of the Fictional/OOBPack folders.
rudy
Reactions:

Post by rudy »

I went back to your modupdater, clicked on the update buttons, and now the new oob's show up in the game!
rudy
Reactions:

Post by rudy »

Maybe I missed clicking on the update button on my first try.

But I can play the new OOB's now.

Thanks for this.

I hope you receive the battlefield promotion you deserve.
Garnier
Reactions:

Post by Garnier »

Whew, a relief. Had no idea why it wouldn't do it. :)
Glad it's working, thanks.
Rifleman
Reactions:

Re:Tutorial for using the Mod Updater, with OOB Packs

Post by Rifleman »

Hi Garnier,

Looks like a neat Mod. Installed as your above instructions, but when I get to the "Add new Mod" part, and paste in the "www.mastersofthefield.com/garnier/W3D/M ... nalOOBPack" url, I only get a message on the Updater saying "Unable to read index.txt".

Using Windows XP. Any ideas? Thanks for all you have done so far.
Garnier
Reactions:

Mod Updater Tutorial

Post by Garnier »

First, make sure you are starting the mod updater by running "LaunchModUpdater.exe" and not simply "ModUpdater.exe".

"LaunchModUpdater.exe" updates the updater itself before running it so you get the latest fixes.

I've just added more detailed error checking to the mod adding process, so if you try again, you'll either get a specific reason for the error, or you'll have the option to send an error report which will give me the details so I can figure out what's wrong.
Last edited by Garnier on Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rifleman
Reactions:

Scourge of War Auto Updater & Tutorial

Post by Rifleman »

Thanks Garnier, the improved error reporting did the trick.
It told me the url was incorrect (needing to start with www etc).
On careful checking I found a space in the copied/pasted url(after the www).
Thanks alot.
Last edited by Garnier on Sat May 01, 2010 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.