Attention: Drum Major

Had a great game? Want to write about it. These things can be very exciting, so if you want to share, post them here. The best will be reposted to the front page of the site!
Kerflumoxed
Reactions:

Attention: Drum Major

Post by Kerflumoxed »

Sir...I do understand there are some mighty, lively airs that have been written for the Northern Army...some of which have had Southern words written for them. Nevertheless, it is disheartening for our men to be marching through southern Pennsylvania while listening to the band playing Battle Cry of Freedom instead of Dixie, or Bonnie Blue Flag...the list is endless.

Yes, there is a Southern version of Battle Cry of Freedom which was originally written by George Root as a Northern rallying song. The Southern version, written by W. H. Barnes reflects proudly upon our citizen's efforts to inspire the men. Unfortunately, the words, quoted here from the 26th North Carolina Band Book,"Our Dixie forever, she's never at a loss, Down with the eagle and up with the cross..." have not been adopted by the men. One cannot argue with the correctness and sentiment recorded in the first verse, "Our flag is proudly floating, On the land and on the main, Shout, shout, the battle cry of Freedom; Beneath it oft we've conquered, And will conquer oft again, Shout, shout, the battle cry of Freedom!"

I would, respectfully, request that all future music be Confederate in origin and application and the denigrating Northern music be stricken from your band book!

I remain, respectfully, your obdt. Servant.

Major Kerflumxed. B)
Last edited by Kerflumoxed on Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jack Hanger
Fremont, NE
[/size]
"Boys, if we have to stand in a straight line as stationary targets for the Yankees to shoot at, this old Texas Brigade is going to run like hell!" J. B. Poley, 4th Texas Infantry, Hood's Texas Brigade