Time for a new computer - your opinion please

Game won't run. Keeps crashing. Hopefully we won't get any posts here, but if we do, we'll try to help you out. You can also post any bugs that you find here. IMPORTANT: Don't post mod related problems here!
GFab
Reactions:

Time for a new computer - your opinion please

Post by GFab »

Hi everyone.

First a little background.

I have patently been waiting for the arrival of this masterfully created game since day one. All that time my computer was running fine. I had doubts if my system could handle the game but was informed that it was not that much different than TC2M. Some time in early February a bad system file caused my computer to crash. I was able to save it by reinstalling Windows. All my files were saved but I needed to reinstall everything. Then my computer started acting up. I was having connection difficulties with another game.

OH NO! :ohmy: What was going to happen when Gettysburg was released? The day came and I downloaded the demo. I noticed the demo running with a ton of lag. I held off purchasing the game until I figured out what was going on with my computer. I then noticed I had the uniforms set to high detail (a problem that also occurred in TC2M where it would lag at high settings). So once I adjusted the setting I found the game playable. I purchased the activation code and started off on my missions.

BTW, bad timing with the release of the game and warmer weather. Now I have to divide my time playing the game and getting my yard ready for the warmer months. :lol:

Anyway, I am at mission #6 Jackson Scenario. I guess due to the amount of troops on the field my old computer just can't handle it and the lagging causes major lockup. So I have decided to purchase a new computer since I can't figure out what's going on with the old one and don't trust the hard drive. But what to get? Should I build it myself or purchase one pre-built?

After some research I have made my choice and would like anyone's opinion to my choice.

I am looking at an Alienware Aurora.
Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
Intel Core i7 920 2.66GHz (8MB Cache) Quad Core Processor
3GB Triple Channel 1333MHz DDr3 Memory
Dual 1GB GDDR5 ATI Radeon HD 5670 CrossfireX video cards
1TB STAT-II 3Gb/s, 7,2000RPM 32MB Cache HDD Hard Drive
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Sound Card
Alienware High-Performance Liquid Cooling

Thanks
GFab
America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves - Abraham Lincoln
norb
Reactions:

Re: Time for a new computer - your opinion please

Post by norb »

That is a crazy awesome and probably expensive computer. Should run the game fine.
GFab
Reactions:

Post by GFab »

Actually $1,389.00 which isn't bad.

So I shouldn't have anymore lag? LOL! And I assume I would have to deactivate Gettysburg on the old system and activate on the new system when it arrives? But we'll get to that when the time comes.
America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves - Abraham Lincoln
norb
Reactions:

Post by norb »

It should be greatly reduced. It is still possible in giant OOBs with everyone fighting and marching.
estabu2
Reactions:

Post by estabu2 »

If it doesn't change the cost too much, I would add more ram.
"It is strange, to have a shell come so near you...you can feel the wind."
louie raider
Reactions:

Post by louie raider »

estabu2 wrote:
If it doesn't change the cost too much, I would add more ram.
i'd have to agree. i just built my first PC and it compares somewhat with your list, GFab (4GB RAM, though i don't have a sound card) and the game is just screaming fast on my new rig, couldn't be happier. no more low-res unis for me!

if you've been following the forum, i had to discover - back in summer of 08 i think - that my old system (Dell dimension 520 i think, 256MB video card) was the slowest rig on the team; now - by virtue of it using some of the newer tech out there (USB 3.0, i7 quad core, etc) - it's easily one of the best. you should be very satisfied with the upgrade.
Last edited by louie raider on Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
this space for rent
GFab
Reactions:

Post by GFab »

3GB included in price
Add $100 for 6GB
Add $200 for 9GB
Add $350 for 12GB
Add $950 for 24GB

If anything I would bump it up to 6GB. That's about pushing my budget.
GFab
Reactions:

Post by GFab »

I ordered it with 6MB of ram.
Expected delivery 4/29/10.
Thanks for your input.