A lot of random movement

Let's talk about Gettysburg! Put your questions and comments here.
Lord Ashram
Reactions:

A lot of random movement

Post by Lord Ashram »

Hey all!

First off, lemme say; Take Command was the FINEST game series of all time in my opinion... the ONLY game to ever successfully simulate warfare. Bravo!

Been waiting a long time for Gettysburg, and so far, so good!

I do have to say, though... it seems there is a LOT of "random" movement of regiments, and it is becoming a bit frustrating:(

I have "Taken Command" of all my brigade commanders, but the individual regiments seem to constantly realign themselves and even move their position without me giving any orders at all. It is a bit frustrating, especially when they move off of cover constantly and allow themselves to get shot up.

On a related note; my guys also seem to gather up into a huge clump a lot when changing direction, and often end up facing AWAY from the enemy when they are clearly meant to be looking forward, and their unit arrow indicates they are.

While I am thoroughly enjoying the new game, these two issues have been a bit of a pain for me. Has anyone else encountered them?
Davinci
Reactions:

Re:A lot of random movement

Post by Davinci »

Lord Ashram

Norb - stated that if the game is doing something that doesn't appear right, put the game on Auto Save - and send him the file so that he can look at it, and hopefully improve the AI !

I have my Auto Save on five minutes.

davinci
The only true logic is that, there is no true logic!
Greek
Reactions:

Re: A lot of random movement

Post by Greek »

I'm with you on this, been noticing the same thing. Seems very different from the prior games. I do TC a lot, and am finding it hard to keep my regiments where I need them. They are clearly meandering about much more than in the prior games.

Bill
ADukes
Reactions:

Post by ADukes »

Lots of the random movement is probably caused by the fact that regiments are trying to avoid the lines of fire and the marching through positions of friendly units.
IronBMike
Reactions:

Post by IronBMike »

I find that the pathfinding can get a bit wonky and units will randomly go out of their way for things when they don't need to.
CWGII -> SMG -> SMA -> WNLB -> ANGV -> TC -> TC2M -> SOW
texastarheel7
Reactions:

Post by texastarheel7 »

Hi all,

Love the game so far. I look at the random moving as troops shuffling about in heat\confusion of battle, therefore the need to command your troops! You read about troops drifting around a lot, so seems normal to me.

Tex
Lord Ashram
Reactions:

Post by Lord Ashram »

IronBMike wrote:
I find that the pathfinding can get a bit wonky and units will randomly go out of their way for things when they don't need to.
See, this is what I find too... I give a destination for a brigade, and some of the units seem to wander back and forth a bit. Plus, they frequently seem to reform while under fire, turning and turning and turning while taking casualties:(
cliometrician
Reactions:

Post by cliometrician »

In the McPherson Ridge scenario I place Davis under my command, but invariably I'll look over there and one of his regiments will have wandered into the railroad cut. Frustrating? Yes. Do I want something done about it? No. That's confusion on a battlefield for you--just Davis' brigade recreating a little history from their historical fiasco at the railroad cut.
"I may have fought on the side that was wrong, but I fought on the right side." John S. Mosby
Marching Thru Georgia
Reactions:

Post by Marching Thru Georgia »

My favorite for random movement is Blood In The Run. Remove the trees and watch Archer's Brigade while you move up your men. It reminds me of the Klan scene in the movie Oh God Where Art Thou. :laugh: The geometric patterns they create while randomly marching about are inspiring.
I can make this march and I will make Georgia howl.