Beyond McPherson's Ridge

Stuck in a part of the game. Here's where the Grogs help the Newbies. Share your best strategies for winning and try someone elses.
MrSpkr
Reactions:

Re:Beyond McPherson's Ridge

Post by MrSpkr »

Joe Shaw My nemesis. And co-creater of the finest scenarios ever made -- the Ker Dessel series.

Email will be sent tomorrow.

Steve
Last edited by MrSpkr on Sat May 08, 2010 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I'm ashamed of you, dodging that way. They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance."

Major General John Sedgwick's final words, Battle of Spotsylvania Courthouse, May 9, 1864
83pvi
Reactions:

Post by 83pvi »

Just had a wierd game. With 5 minutes to go I only had 2000 points, so I went after the guns on the Chambersburg Pike. I got the first two, but couldn't get the third gun. Then I realized that the battery officers were "mowed down like grain before the scythe" as soon as they could spawn. I racked up 8000 points in 10 seconds. Was this a bug, or did I just get lucky
Son of an Irish Noble
Reactions:

Post by Son of an Irish Noble »

I tend to think the victory requirements are a little high. Just played as Bufford. Routed Heth's entire division but since cavalry tends to run so much (and quickly rally), I only had 1500 points which is considered a draw. I believe that, had Bufford actually routed Heth's entire division while remaining intact (singlehandedly, as the Iron Brigade couldn't be bothered to leave the seminary) it would have been a pretty good victory.

I have the same problem. I want to see Pickett's charge go forward and I don't want to slog through a bunch of meeting engagements to do it. I heard the SDK has the scenario files?
Little Powell
Reactions:

Post by Little Powell »

Son of an Irish Noble wrote:
I tend to think the victory requirements are a little high. Just played as Bufford. Routed Heth's entire division but since cavalry tends to run so much (and quickly rally), I only had 1500 points which is considered a draw. I believe that, had Bufford actually routed Heth's entire division while remaining intact (singlehandedly, as the Iron Brigade couldn't be bothered to leave the seminary) it would have been a pretty good victory.

I have the same problem. I want to see Pickett's charge go forward and I don't want to slog through a bunch of meeting engagements to do it. I heard the SDK has the scenario files?
Correct. Go to the SDK thread. In there you will find instructions to play all of the scenario's.
BOSTON
Reactions:

Post by BOSTON »

Son of an Irish Noble wrote:

One thing; By playing all the consecutive scenarios leading up to Picket's Charge, General, you will have gained a lot of experience needed for that battle. ;)
HOISTINGMAN4

Drafted in Boston
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

83pvi wrote:
Just had a wierd game. With 5 minutes to go I only had 2000 points, so I went after the guns on the Chambersburg Pike. I got the first two, but couldn't get the third gun. Then I realized that the battery officers were "mowed down like grain before the scythe" as soon as they could spawn. I racked up 8000 points in 10 seconds. Was this a bug, or did I just get lucky
Yes, that is a bug, spawning officers killoff. Should have been fixed with latest patch. Do you have it installed?
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
83pvi
Reactions:

Post by 83pvi »

Yes, I have the patch installed.
Son of an Irish Noble
Reactions:

Post by Son of an Irish Noble »

One thing; By playing all the consecutive scenarios leading up to Picket's Charge, General, you will have gained a lot of experience needed for that battle. ;)
Well the thing is, I'm not really looking to win it. I just want to see it go forward.

It's like a horrible train wreck I have a remote control to :lol:
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

83pvi wrote:
Yes, I have the patch installed.
Drats, so this is a new one, pertaining to battery commanders. Man, these are killing our scoring standards to win. We'll try to recreate it on our end, you guys, please get us your 'autosave' files. Thanks for the report.
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
Marching Thru Georgia
Reactions:

Post by Marching Thru Georgia »

RebBugler wrote:
Drats, so this is a new one, pertaining to battery commanders.
I have seen this several times with the latest patch. This happens when charging a battery. If the battery commander is in the path of the regiment he will run away, sometimes using the same path as the charging regiment. The regiment moves a bit faster than the commander, catches up and kills him. The new commander is re-spawned just ahead of the charging regiment and uses the same path as his predecessor with the same result. This scenario repeats until the regiment finally veers from this course. I once chased a battery commander over 100 yards to his battery and racked up many kills.

It should be an easy fix.
I can make this march and I will make Georgia howl.