Port Forwarding problem

This is where we discuss anything multiplayer. From strategies, arranging games, to multiplayer related technical help. You will also find tournament and league information here.
UglyElmo
Reactions:

Port Forwarding problem

Post by UglyElmo »

I have manually input port forwarding into my wrt150n linksys router for this PC.

On the External and Internal Port I put 31791
Type was UDP
and I put my IP as the 192.168.1.??? with ??? being the 3 digit IP of this PC.
I also clicked on the Enable button then saved.
All data was taken and everything is where it should be on the router, but when I go to host, I get the port forwarding error message in the chat menu area. It allows me to launch a game, by myself, but there was nobody in the lobby to see if they could join me.

I am wondering is it just the chat which is the problem, or will I be unable to have anyone join my games?

Once someone appears in the lobby I will see if they can join me.
For any prior or future Ugly's out there, my contact info:
el-marko1@insightbb.com
Little Powell
Reactions:

Re:Port Forwarding problem

Post by Little Powell »

UglyElmo wrote:
I have manually input port forwarding into my wrt150n linksys router for this PC.

On the External and Internal Port I put 31791
Type was UDP
and I put my IP as the 192.168.1.??? with ??? being the 3 digit IP of this PC.
I also clicked on the Enable button then saved.
All data was taken and everything is where it should be on the router, but when I go to host, I get the port forwarding error message in the chat menu area. It allows me to launch a game, by myself, but there was nobody in the lobby to see if they could join me.

I am wondering is it just the chat which is the problem, or will I be unable to have anyone join my games?

Once someone appears in the lobby I will see if they can join me.
Do you have the port set as both TCP and UDP? I always make sure and have that checked on my router (if you have the option). Also, try disabling any firewall or antivirus software.
ADukes
Reactions:

Re: Port Forwarding problem

Post by ADukes »

If you are sure that your port is open, you can disable the automatic port mapping of the game by adding "MapPort=0" (without "") to the [Initialization] section of the SOWGB.ini.
duncan
Reactions:

Post by duncan »

Same problem here even with MapPort=0
Forwarding rules on my router are right. (I will check those once more this evening but i am not a newbie in network config).
I have checked the listening ports on the host and indeed only udp protocol is listening on the 31791 port so it's useless to forward the tcp one.
I used 2 computers with the demo versions to see if it's not another problem than forwarding ports and in a lan hosting game everything runs fine.
ADukes
Reactions:

Post by ADukes »

There should not be any messages if MapPort is set to 0.

What's the message you get?
duncan
Reactions:

Post by duncan »

No message but the room can't be seen in the lobby by the other computer
ADukes
Reactions:

Post by ADukes »

By another computer of your LAN or other computers at all?
duncan
Reactions:

Post by duncan »

Via the lobby nobody (LAN WAN ...) can't join the game. Failed to connect to server.
In Lan i can join the game via direct access by typing the IP.
ADukes
Reactions:

Post by ADukes »

Are you using an additional firewall/security software?
Boyd
Reactions:

Post by Boyd »

After adding port 31791 and then updating the ini file with mapport=0 everything now works like a charm! I can play as host or guest. Thx!

One thing i didn't know and don't really like is that in a MP game everyone's graphic settings default to the host's settings. So if one player has an older computer it penalizes everyone else. Either with slow laggy play (if host has settings on high or best) or everyone is penalized because they have to reduce their graphics to the lower end.