Starting a multiplayer league - look here

This is where we discuss anything multiplayer. From strategies, arranging games, to multiplayer related technical help. You will also find tournament and league information here.
IronBMike
Reactions:

Starting a multiplayer league - look here

Post by IronBMike »

Ok, so I'm thinking of creating a multiplayer tournament/league/group for the game. There will be two sides, Confederate and Union. We'll pick times to fight battles during the week and record results. First, we'll just keep track of wins and losses - maybe we'll have a season like football or baseball.

Either way, it'll be a fun way to keep score and play with the same teammates over and over. Eventually, maybe we'll incorporate some sort of campaign a'la the Battle for Europe tournament for Call of Duty.

But right now I just want to see who is interested in helping to START the tournament. If you are genuinely interested and are willing to put some time in to get it up and running, send me a message. If you just want to chime and and say you'll play in it or if you have some ideas for it, you can post in this thread.

My thoughts on it so far:
- Have battles on Saturday afternoons.
- Create ranks so that veteran players can play as higher ranks, while people who just joined can only play as brigade level.
- Keep standings of wins/losses.
- Figure out a way to play (HITS, courier only, etc)
- Figure out how many battles we'll be fighting / how many people per battle.

Perhaps we could do no AI controlled troops. For example, if five Confederate players show up but only three Union players, both sides would need one command officer (say, Division commander), but the Confederates would get four brigades and the Union would only get two. This way teams are rewarded for actually showing up to the battle, and we'll have some epic underdog victories.

Well, those are my thoughts, tell me your's! And remember, PM if you're interested in being an admin for this.
CWGII -> SMG -> SMA -> WNLB -> ANGV -> TC -> TC2M -> SOW
Boyd
Reactions:

Re:Starting a multiplayer league - look here

Post by Boyd »

Count me in to play. Sounds fun! Good idea.
IronBMike
Reactions:

Post by IronBMike »

Bump!
UglyElmo
Reactions:

Post by UglyElmo »

I am interested in playing regularly.

Instead of just wins/losses, what if we kept track of points scored at the end of a Scenario and then established certain point levels for advancement up the ranks? It would encourage everyone to fight til the very end to max out their points, even in a loss.

I would also recommend, given some of the scenarios will not be balanced for one side, that each player vs. player game consist of 2 games. Same units (if possible), but in the 2nd game, the players switch sides. Then each player will be on equal footing and have the same chance to score/win/advance in rank.
For any prior or future Ugly's out there, my contact info:
el-marko1@insightbb.com
jam3
Reactions:

Post by jam3 »

I think we need to build community for mplayer first namely get a vent server and create a steam group. I am running the game through steam as an added non steam game and it works perfectly.
IronBMike
Reactions:

Post by IronBMike »

UglyElmo wrote:
I am interested in playing regularly.

Instead of just wins/losses, what if we kept track of points scored at the end of a Scenario and then established certain point levels for advancement up the ranks? It would encourage everyone to fight til the very end to max out their points, even in a loss.

I would also recommend, given some of the scenarios will not be balanced for one side, that each player vs. player game consist of 2 games. Same units (if possible), but in the 2nd game, the players switch sides. Then each player will be on equal footing and have the same chance to score/win/advance in rank.
Using points instead of wins/losses is a good idea. But for the unbalanced sides, I figure that we'll be using our own OBBs by the time we get this up and running, so we can create balanced OBBs.
IronBMike
Reactions:

Post by IronBMike »

jam3 wrote:
I think we need to build community for mplayer first namely get a vent server and create a steam group. I am running the game through steam as an added non steam game and it works perfectly.
Yep, I run it on Steam too and it works like a charm. That would be a great way to organize.
jam3
Reactions:

Post by jam3 »

i saw in the mplayer forum they do have 2 vent servers.
Last edited by jam3 on Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
jam3
Reactions:

Post by jam3 »

IronBMike wrote:
jam3 wrote:
Yep, I run it on Steam too and it works like a charm. That would be a great way to organize.
Created the group heres the post in in the mplayer forum

http://www.norbsoftware.com/Portal/inde ... 8&id=14308

and heres the group

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/GettysburgSOW
UglyElmo
Reactions:

Post by UglyElmo »

I will join up once I get home. I have never used the Steam chat though, so I am not sure if it will work for me or not. However, I have used Ventrillo, and can use that to chat with teammates.

I guess we need to decide on which we want to use for the tourney/league first. :)

Yup, balanced, player-created OOBs would be the way to go.
For any prior or future Ugly's out there, my contact info:
el-marko1@insightbb.com