To the Roundtops

Stuck in a part of the game. Here's where the Grogs help the Newbies. Share your best strategies for winning and try someone elses.
Steelrails
Reactions:

Re: To the Roundtops

Post by Steelrails »

I played it on Normal took LRT and Devil's Den within 20 minutes. Sent Law's & Benning's brigades up BRT. Captured half of Ward's brigade as well as 2nd U.S. SS and the battery that was there. GT Anderson's forces did get a little cut up, but it was a fine fight altogether. Held the objectives, inflicted significantly more casualtied on the enemy. Got a defeat.

The thing was I was waiting and waiting for Weed's brigade to show up and counter attack LRT, possibly with Ayres' Division as well and for Caldwell's Division and Sweitzer's & Tilton's Brigade possibly as well. Instead it was a whole lot of yawn as the reformed remnants of Ward's 7 De Trob's brigades feebly attacked. If I had known that those things were not going to happen of course I would have marched on to

This was the first time I played the scenario and I was rather pleased with how I had done and rather stunned that taking LRT with relatively light losses resulted in a defeat.

After reading this I "get it" as to why this happened.

I think a variant with a violent counterattack by the Union and higher point values for LRT would be an enjoyable experience.
Roger55
Reactions:

Post by Roger55 »

Is the "patch" still pendinmg or was that part of the one it took me three hours to download. I've run through this twice with scores of 0 and -279. The first time I took DD and LRT but didn't leave a regiment on DD or LRT; we were pushing toward the Tanneytown Road the real objective for which there are no points. Right? The second time I had II Corps divisions shoved in front of me. I'm thinking or going to the lowest difficulty so I can try to move on to McLaws.
Marching Thru Georgia
Reactions:

Post by Marching Thru Georgia »

Smokehammer wrote:
Also, is it possible to move your artillery batteries like infantry units? I can’t seem to figure out how; one artillery battery was inactive through the whole battle because I couldn’t move it into range.
Arty can be a little tricky to move, depending on the situation. If the arty is not engaged, click on the battery commander, then click on the location you wish to place the battery, then click on the formation button you wish the battery to be in when they arrive.

If the battery is firing at a target, or they stop part way to their destination and unlimber to fire at a target, click on the battery commander and TC him, then place him and the arty where you want it. Once it's in position, un-TC the battery.
I can make this march and I will make Georgia howl.
Roger55
Reactions:

Post by Roger55 »

Third Time though setting normal. Captured Devils Den, Little Round Top, and there was no more go in any one. Occupied both and brought up a battery. The casualties were 50%. 678 points. Major Defeat!:angry: Not even a draw. Took every man in Hood's division to do that.

This Scenario blocks the other two divisional scenarios. There has to be a trick. Keep plugging says one post above. :lol:

You can't wait for the Artillery to drag it's butt forward; so, you sacrifice man to use up the canister of the Union battery in DD. LRT is just as bad. You have to keep pitching men at it, and if you do get up there, there is usually a hand to hand fight. You can see the blasted undefended road but it does no good to occupy it. No objective and you can't move off the hill or you loose the points. Move to the left. With what? The men are exausted and the regiments are mingled all with heavy casualties.

What points do you need for a victory? What's the trick?
Last edited by Roger55 on Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
garyknowz
Reactions:

Post by garyknowz »

One tactic that could work is to outmaneuver Ward's brigade and force it to redeploy, or get him into a pincer movement. I don't think you can get the requisite points using a frontal assault. You might attain the Devil's Den, but will suffer too many casualties for an effective assault on the Round Tops.

As to the artillery, you have to push them forward. If they have an shot from long distance, they generally opt for that even though artillery at that range has minimal effect (not to mention they're shooting at Kershaw rather than Ward).
Sorry. I suffer from a serious case of typosis. Don't worry, it's not contagious :)
revthought
Reactions:

Post by revthought »

Hey guys, Tc2m player here coming over to the new (and much improved) game. I just wanted to voice something here that I saw in the beginning of this thread.

I really wish the objective system was different. Garrisoning objectives with troops and an officer is a big pain in the rear. It doesn't make much sense to me, particularly given this scenario, that I garrison the Devil's Den--or pretty much anywhere.

I played a game earlier today where I pushed the Federal troops out of the Devil's Den, off of Little Round Top, and was pushing through the Peach Orchard and the Wheat Field. Basically, it appeared to me that the entire Federal left had crumbled and I was busy trying to roll it up. With all this I STILL lost the game.

In this case, given the historic goals of the attack on the left, it doesn't make sense that turning that flank and rolling it up would be counted in any manner as a defeat.
garyknowz
Reactions:

Post by garyknowz »

Welcome to the community, revthought!

Make sure you have the requisite number of troops and a commander within the radius of the objective. Press M to open the mini map, and hold the cursor over the objective to see the conditions needed to receive the victory points per minute.

Remember that if you overwhelm the objective but continue on without leaving the requisite # of men and a commander, you lose control of the objective and will not receive points for it until the requisite garrison is returned. I think the NSD team is looking into changing this, to wit, not forcing the player to leave a garrison at the objective. But I'm unsure as to the status of this development.

Again, welcome to the community and feel free to ask any questions you might have. As a fellow veteran of TC2M, you'll find the caliber and helpfulness of the staff and membership here quite to your satisfaction. :)
Sorry. I suffer from a serious case of typosis. Don't worry, it's not contagious :)
revthought
Reactions:

Post by revthought »

Welcome to the community, revthought!

Make sure you have the requisite number of troops and a commander within the radius of the objective. Press M to open the mini map, and hold the cursor over the objective to see the conditions needed to receive the victory points per minute.

Remember that if you overwhelm the objective but continue on without leaving the requisite # of men and a commander, you lose control of the objective and will not receive points for it until the requisite garrison is returned. I think the NSD team is looking into changing this, to wit, not forcing the player to leave a garrison at the objective. But I'm unsure as to the status of this development.

Again, welcome to the community and feel free to ask any questions you might have. As a fellow veteran of TC2M, you'll find the caliber and helpfulness of the staff and membership here quite to your satisfaction. :)
Oh, yes, I realize all of this, like I said I am a veteran of Tc2m! Its just so difficult for me to do, I get in character pretty well and I get carried away sometimes. You know, I push the Federal troops out of the Devil's Den, and I force them off of Little Round Top, and a little voice in the back of my head tells me "you've won the day, press them! Press them!"

I was more complaining, or maybe rather suggesting, that from a game design perspective maybe it doesn't make a lot of sense in some instances to make the player garrison objectives. Particularly when there are multiple objectives, and that in some scenarios the historical objectives weren't necessarily take this position and stop. You know?
Gerry
Reactions:

Post by Gerry »

Assaulted DD and took all union arty. Held it entire time got VP only intermittently and yes I had a commander and at least a gun up there.

Took BRT no problem what credit did I get? Who knows?

LRT held against me. I charged it en masse and entire brigade routed with exception of my tac reserve reg. Brought up battery to pound it rallied the brigade but oh no! time ran out.

Took PO and was holding it when time ran out.

Major defeat!

Would Longstreet have agreed? I don't think so! He'd at least call that a draw. lol Will keep trying.
o/
ird1968
Reactions:

Post by ird1968 »

I am so pleased to read this thread. I'd been struggling with it - not even got near to the points for a major defeat - and thought it was just me laying it very badly. Hopefully one I've absorbed all of the comments I can have another crack at it and do a little better. It is a great scenario