To the Roundtops

Stuck in a part of the game. Here's where the Grogs help the Newbies. Share your best strategies for winning and try someone elses.
MrSpkr
Reactions:

Re:To the Roundtops

Post by MrSpkr »

Wow. See my post in the other thread.

Steve
"I'm ashamed of you, dodging that way. They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance."

Major General John Sedgwick's final words, Battle of Spotsylvania Courthouse, May 9, 1864
gbs
Reactions:

Post by gbs »

Is this being played on NORMAL or with the currier system? Also, are you using RebBuglers Mod toolbar wioth his new commands.
MrSpkr
Reactions:

Post by MrSpkr »

Normal, no mods, no couriers. I prefer the eagle eye view to watch the formations over the cluttered, confusing ground eye view. I avoid the courier system where I can simply because my ADHD will throttle me if I don't.

Steve
"I'm ashamed of you, dodging that way. They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance."

Major General John Sedgwick's final words, Battle of Spotsylvania Courthouse, May 9, 1864
Lees Warhorse
Reactions:

Post by Lees Warhorse »

MrSpkr wrote:
[quote]Good job, Greywulfe. Yeah, ignoring the Wheatfield is, in my opinion, the better route. Congrats on winning a hard fought scenario.

I use the exact strategy as you fellas did... But usually Mclaws division comes late in the scenario and Kershaws men sometimes pour out into the wheatfield.. I usually take one brigade from Devils Den to capture it and grab a few extra pts without many casualties. Has anyone done this too? :laugh:
"No 15,000 men ever made can take that ridge." Lt. General James Longstreet
July 3, 1863
hmbright
Reactions:

Post by hmbright »

I have played this scenario at least fifteen times and have incurred defeat everytime. In my last few attempts, I have taken Little Round Top by flanking from the north. Held Little Round Top at least 15 minutes. Assaulted and taken the Devil's Den from Big Round Top and from the Southwest. Held the Devil's Den for about 5 minutes while continuing to hold Little Round Top. Assaulted and held the Wheatfield for about 2 minutes before the scenario ended. Still ended in defeat.

I can see requiring holding an objective because in one sequel the Yanks counter-attacked my positions on Little Round Top from the Tawneytown Rd. However, if the Rebs kick the Yanks off of every objective and kill more of them than casualties that you incurr, how can that be a rebel defeat?
MrSpkr
Reactions:

Post by MrSpkr »

Lees Warhorse wrote:
I use the exact strategy as you fellas did... But usually Mclaws division comes late in the scenario and Kershaws men sometimes pour out into the wheatfield.. I usually take one brigade from Devils Den to capture it and grab a few extra pts without many casualties. Has anyone done this too? :laugh:
I usually shy away from it because Yankee artillery is there to butcher me.

Steve

Alikchi
Reactions:

Post by Alikchi »

What a fantastic scenario! Beat it on my 4th try after reading this thread and installing the most recent beta patch.

I sent Anderson to the left (woods/ridge area) to cover that flank and put pressure on the rest of the Devil's Den brigade while Benning attacks it directly up the bare slope + rocks. Benning and Anderson's brigades tend to get shredded in the process, but it's essential to take the Devil's Den early. Usually the Union reinforcements arrive only 5 or 10 minutes after taking it.

Robertson, as suggested by MrSpkr I think, double-times up to Big Round Top and then comes at LRT. The trick is to fight one or two of their regiments with your whole brigade. I'd TC a regiment of Texans, march them on the far side of LRT and charge a Union regiment in the flank. Wash, rinse & repeat.

Law's brigade - or whatever brigade you have advancing down the Plum Run - is most critical and needs special attention, I think. As previously mentioned, the Union counterattack tends to arrive just as my torn up regiments storm Devil's Den. I used Law to head them off by double timing to high ground on both sides of the Plum Run. Even just a couple regiments can buy enough time for Anderson and Benning to recover.

I also used Law to draw parts of the LRT Union brigade down the slope, ensuring that Robertson's guys would face the enemy regiments piecemeal. Managed a 4700 point victory.

By the way, here's a youtube video I uploaded from my third attempt at the scenario. We just now took Devil's Den, but I moved Law's brigade too slowly, and the big line of Union reinforcements visible is soon to force me back down the rocks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xC6p70c-KM
charlesobscure
Reactions:

Post by charlesobscure »

I'm sorry, I had control of both Round Tops and Devils Den with about 10 minutes left to go and all I managed was a draw. Historically, that cannot reasonably be described as a draw. I know this has been discussed but leaving the OBJs to 50 points is much too low.
John Buford
Reactions:

Post by John Buford »

Using Steve's strategy I scored a 5089. I need to play it several more times but my gut feeling was this is too easy.

Who is Maj Gen WING COMMANDER? Right Wing/Army of the Potomac? At first I thought this might be an easter egg... but I'm guessing there just isn't a name plugged in for the scenario?

Also, I keep hearing mention of the General's List. Is this some page online and is only for MP?
"They will attack you in the morning and they will come booming–skirmishers three deep. You will have to fight like the devil until supports arrive."
- General John Buford at Gettysburg.
Little Powell
Reactions:

Post by Little Powell »

Thresher wrote:
Using Steve's strategy I scored a 5089. I need to play it several more times but my gut feeling was this is too easy.

Who is Maj Gen WING COMMANDER? Right Wing/Army of the Potomac? At first I thought this might be an easter egg... but I'm guessing there just isn't a name plugged in for the scenario?

Also, I keep hearing mention of the General's List. Is this some page online and is only for MP?
Wing Commander: I hope I explain this right, but in the Union OOB, at times during the battle there was more than one Army commander. So we had to make a Left/Right Wing commander, then have the Army commander of the left/right wing under him (Hancock, Gibbon).

Generals List: You make the generals list when you beat the game. :)
Last edited by Little Powell on Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.