Failed reactivation?

Game won't run. Keeps crashing. Hopefully we won't get any posts here, but if we do, we'll try to help you out. You can also post any bugs that you find here. IMPORTANT: Don't post mod related problems here!
9thBtnMOS
Reactions:

Failed reactivation?

Post by 9thBtnMOS »

I was able to activate the game after the download and the code without any problems. I tried to change the resolution in "options". It says to restart the game. When I did that a message came up reading "Create Device Failed" and beneath this "E_Failed". The game will not restart and the program crashes. I have gotten this far I'm sure its something easy I am not doing. Also, I tried to start the game without Firewall and Anti Virus activated and the same message appears. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks
ADukes
Reactions:

Re:Failed reactivation?

Post by ADukes »

I think the activation was successful and the real problem should be the resolution change.
What's the resolution you have choosen? Does your monitor support it?
norb
Reactions:

Post by norb »

As ADukes said, this is not an activation issue at all. Just that the res you picked is not working. I should really handle this situation in the code and set it back if it fails.
estabu2
Reactions:

Post by estabu2 »

You will probably need to go into the .ini and reset the resolution. If that is the issue.
"It is strange, to have a shell come so near you...you can feel the wind."
9thBtnMOS
Reactions:

Post by 9thBtnMOS »

Thank you for the quick reply. I had set the resolution to the highest setting. Supposedly this is what is recommended for my monitor. Is there a way I can adjust it without being able to start the game?
9thBtnMOS
Reactions:

Post by 9thBtnMOS »

I will try to get in the .ini. Thanks, I'll check back.
ADukes
Reactions:

Post by ADukes »

Go to the "Scourge of War - Gettysburg\Work" folder and open the SOWGB.ini. There is an "Screen Res=" entry in the [Initialization] section of the file.
Change the current value to 0 (zero) to reset the resolution to the default 1024x768.
9thBtnMOS
Reactions:

Post by 9thBtnMOS »

I thought I could locate this. I was mistaken. Could I unistall/reinstall? Would I need the activation code again?
9thBtnMOS
Reactions:

Post by 9thBtnMOS »

Everything is good in Gettysburg now. Thanks so much for your help and thanks for all your hard work. The new game is great.
norb
Reactions:

Post by norb »

9thBtnMOS wrote:
I thought I could locate this. I was mistaken. Could I unistall/reinstall? Would I need the activation code again?
Good question!

If you uninstall and reinstall to the same EXACT place and DO NOT delete the folders, it will still be activated.

So you uninstall, that will leave the folders there, but delete the content. Then you reinstall to the same location. Your activation will still be enabled and you will not have to reactivate.