A bit fiddly getting men into cover?

Let's talk about Gettysburg! Put your questions and comments here.
Lord Ashram
Reactions:

A bit fiddly getting men into cover?

Post by Lord Ashram »

Hey all!

Got the demo, super excited to play... so far, so good.

Just one question; I seem to be having a very tough time getting my guys to actually get on a fenceline in many places... I have to move them back and forth a bunch before they finally get on the fence, often turning my back to firing enemies over and over trying to figure out which pixel is flag-on-fence. Is there something I am doing wrong?
Colonel Dreux
Reactions:

Re:A bit fiddly getting men into cover?

Post by Colonel Dreux »

I think using the keypad numbers 7 and 8 helps. The unit will mover forward to a secure cover spot if one is right ahead. Otherwise, you're right, they won't line up just straight on the wall or fence.
BoJe
Reactions:

Re: A bit fiddly getting men into cover?

Post by BoJe »

I agree, this is a little more trouble than it should be.
I don't think it would hurt gameplay to simply expand the 'fence-area' so it would be easier to hit with your units.
goodwood
Reactions:

Post by goodwood »

Hey have you read the notes that pop up at the start of the scenario? One tells u what to do. if u see a fence on the middle panel with the compass you will get the cover bonus
ron
Ps the flag has to be just behind the fence to get cover.
Lord Ashram
Reactions:

Post by Lord Ashram »

Yep, I have done the tutorial... the problem is getting the flag itself actually onto the fence... it seems very tough.

I didn't know about the 7 or 8... I'll give that a try.
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

Lord Ashram wrote:
Hey all!

Got the demo, super excited to play... so far, so good.

Just one question; I seem to be having a very tough time getting my guys to actually get on a fenceline in many places... I have to move them back and forth a bunch before they finally get on the fence, often turning my back to firing enemies over and over trying to figure out which pixel is flag-on-fence. Is there something I am doing wrong?
You are right on. This issue was brought up by the testers initially to fix the breastworks. They got fixed, but fixing all the fence lines and walls on all the maps was going to be a humongous task, sayeth the mapmakers. Hopefully enough complaints will warrant a fix, because the extensive micro managing sometimes necessary to enable a defensive bonus is indeed a pain.
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
Janh
Reactions:

Post by Janh »

Maybe they could instead use their time to think of a different approach to include defensive attributes of objects such as walls, fences, earthworks (,approximating trenches) etc? Maybe link it to a map object? As there is obviously a collision routine detection when near houses etc, that should be possible for flag-object distance?

Maybe one that would then enable players/AI to setup defenses in-game? Adding the 3D objects to the map, in the savegame?
Taiaha
Reactions:

Post by Taiaha »

Whew, glad to see I'm not the only one. I was feeling like I was missing something blindingly obvious. But several times I put the standard right on a wall or fence and didn't get the bonus. It isn't very historical to have to try and calculate which precise millimeter you need to hit to get your men to see the blindingly obvious fence right in front of them!
larrytagg
Reactions:

Post by larrytagg »

Try clicking on a destination for your regiment just beyond the fence. As your regiment approaches the fence, watch your status box for the "Defensive Terrain" icon to pop up when the flag reaches the fence. Then, quickly, hit the "Halt" button. That worked best for the testers.

Larry
ADukes
Reactions:

Post by ADukes »

Or just use the hotkeys 7 and 8 as mentioned already.