some requests about modding

alessillo
Reactions:

some requests about modding

Post by alessillo »

In the last months I have done one mod for TCM2 and I would like to make some requests based on my experience:

1) no autocharge distance (as an option);

2) units without firearms, like lancers or heavy cavalry or zulu warriors...

3) effects of terrain based on the type of unit, for example a unit of cavalry can't charge through a dense forest;

I know that this is a game about the American Civil War, but I hope that some options will allow many users to make nice mods and add interest to the game.

Cheers
norb
Reactions:

Re: some requests about modding

Post by norb »

We did put #3 in the game I'm pretty sure.

#1 and #2 I'll put on the list for a patch, because I do not think they are supported, but they make sense.
Joshua l.Chamberlain
Reactions:

Re:some requests about modding

Post by Joshua l.Chamberlain »

They didn't have lancers in the ACW the U.S. learned from the Mexicans that lancers are obsolete.
"There stands Jackson like a stone wall! Let us be determined to die here and we will conquer!"
-Brig.Gen. Bernard Bee, Henry House
Amish John
Reactions:

Post by Amish John »

You can get farther with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone.
Kerflumoxed
Reactions:

Post by Kerflumoxed »

Joshua l.Chamberlain wrote:
They didn't have lancers in the ACW the U.S. learned from the Mexicans that lancers are obsolete.
In the "For What It's Worth" (clarification) department, there was a Union regiment of lancers organized in Philadelphia by Colonel Richard H. Rush in the fall (August thru October) of 1862 designated as Rush's Lancers. Initially, they were armed with sabers and Colt revolvers. They wore the traditional regulation cavalry uniform. This regiment, aka as the 6th PA Volunteer Cavalry Regiment, adopted the lance after it was suggested by George Brinton McClellan and approved by a vote of the regimental officers. Ultimately, they carried the cumbersome lance until May, 1863, when they were finally replaced by carbines. According to the official records, the lance was 9' long with an 11 inch, three-edged, steel tip, a scarlet swallow-tailed pennant and a leather sling for carrying on the right shoulder. This fine regiment served throughout the entire war and was honored by General John Buford as the "Seventh Regulars."

As to Heavy Cavalry, there was no such designation in either the Blue or the Gray that I am aware of, nor were there any regiments that were not issued a firearm, be it pistol, carbine, or muzzle-loading long-arm. Some of the cavalry units were issued the earlier 1841 (?) saber affectionaly knowned as the wrist-breaker (including the 5th Iowa Cavalry - the subject of my thesis), officially designated as the "heavy" cavalry saber before the issuance of the 1861 pattern "light" cavalry saber.

Hope that sheds some light on these two areas.
Last edited by Kerflumoxed on Sat Oct 24, 2009 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jack Hanger
Fremont, NE
[/size]
"Boys, if we have to stand in a straight line as stationary targets for the Yankees to shoot at, this old Texas Brigade is going to run like hell!" J. B. Poley, 4th Texas Infantry, Hood's Texas Brigade
Joshua l.Chamberlain
Reactions:

Post by Joshua l.Chamberlain »

Wow thanks K.
"There stands Jackson like a stone wall! Let us be determined to die here and we will conquer!"
-Brig.Gen. Bernard Bee, Henry House
Amish John
Reactions:

Post by Amish John »

Kerflumoxed wrote:
(including the 5th Iowa Cavalry - the subject of my thesis)
Well what do you know...I had an ancestor in the 3rd Iowa Cavalry. Only two regiments away.
You can get farther with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone.
alessillo
Reactions:

Post by alessillo »

Thank you for the answers, I know that in the ACW there were no heavy cavalry units, but in the same period in Europe there were many regiments of cuirassiers, lancers, dragoons and hussars; for example, if I want to make a mod about the Italian War of Independence (Italians and French versus Austrians in 1859) I would like to have the possibility to add cuirassiers, uhlans, hussars and so on in the orders of battle and increase the interest for the game beyond the ACW.
Last edited by alessillo on Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kerflumoxed
Reactions:

Post by Kerflumoxed »

alessillo wrote:
Thank you for the answers, I know that in the ACW there were no heavy cavalry units, but in the same period in Europe there were many regiments of cuirassiers, lancers, dragoons and hussars; for example, if I want to make a mod about the Italian War of Independence (Italians and French versus Austrians in 1859) I would like to have the possibility to add cuirassiers, uhlans, hussars and so on in the orders of battle and increase the interest for the game beyond the ACW.
As an aside, there were a few volunteer cavalry battations who carried the title of "Hussars" including one battalion that became part of the 5th Iowa. These folks were originally known as the Fremont Hussars but quickly dropped the "Fremont" after he became a "liability" to the Union cause while serving as a department commander in Missouri. When Fremont issued his own Emancipation Proclamation "freeing" the Missouri slaves, Lincoln decided to remove Fremont from his command and sent orders for his removal. Not wishing to be removed, Fremont moved his HQ to Springfield, MO, and heavily picketed his camp to prevent any courier from Lincoln from entering and passing on Lincoln's orders. The story supposedly concludes the courier slipped through the picket line early (about 2 am) one morning and successfully deliver the dismissal order. When news of Fremont's behavior reached the members of the Fremont Hussars, they agreed to drop the name. Ultimately, they were merged with Bracket's Battalion of Minnesota (four companies), the First Nebraska Battalion (4 companies), and the ex-Fremont Hussars to form the polyglot 5th Iowa Cavalry. :huh:
Jack Hanger
Fremont, NE
[/size]
"Boys, if we have to stand in a straight line as stationary targets for the Yankees to shoot at, this old Texas Brigade is going to run like hell!" J. B. Poley, 4th Texas Infantry, Hood's Texas Brigade
Kerflumoxed
Reactions:

Post by Kerflumoxed »

Amish John wrote:
Kerflumoxed wrote:
(including the 5th Iowa Cavalry - the subject of my thesis)
Well what do you know...I had an ancestor in the 3rd Iowa Cavalry. Only two regiments away.
Hi John,

There are some good web sites on the 3rd Iowa as well as information from the Iowa State Historical Society including the rosters of most of the regiments. Also, here is a site that includes a brief citation on most Union and Confederate soldiers that will provide enlistment date, etc. and a brief history of the unit they were member of: http://www.itd.nps.gov/cwss/

Here is the direct link to the 3rd Iowa Cavalry: http://www.itd.nps.gov/cwss/regiments.cfm

They were members of Wilson's Cavalry Corps, reportedly the largest single cavalry command of the war, which swept through Alabama and raised much of the same type of hell as Sherman's bummers. They were in the same division (4th) as the 5th Iowa Cavalry was, but different brigades.
Jack Hanger
Fremont, NE
[/size]