regiment disorganization

Let's talk about Gettysburg! Put your questions and comments here.
Garnier
Reactions:

Re: regiment disorganization

Post by Garnier »

Autocharge or auto-retreat at some level is important to prevent running through enemy lines.

The only problem with autocharge is how difficult it is to intentionally retreat from, but it's better now than ever before, I think. Ideally in my opinion, it would be a mod-able radius between flags that triggered autocharge. But really I don't think autocharge is such an issue, we just need to get used to falling back before they get to close.

Musket deadliness that can be modded independently at different ranges and against different formations would do more to give us ways to discourage charging. This is what I'd ask for rather than more changes to autocharge, if anything.

But yeah, be careful what you ask for. And remember that any time spent improving one thing is time that can't be spent on something else.
Last edited by Garnier on Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Play Scourge of War Multiplayer! www.sowmp.com
Also try the singleplayer carryover campaign
KG_Soldier
Reactions:

Post by KG_Soldier »

The biggest problem with autocharge, in my opinion, is that it allows multiple regiments to engage a single regiment in melee.

That's the game within a game too often in GCM battles.

And that's why massed charges work so well.
Gudadantza
Reactions:

Post by Gudadantza »

Autocharge or auto-retreat at some level is important to prevent running through enemy lines.

Musket deadliness that can be modded independently at different ranges and against different formations would do more to give us ways to discourage charging. This is what I'd ask for rather than more changes to autocharge, if anything.
That´s my point of view, I guessed it was implemented yet... :blush:
X Navy Seal
Reactions:

Post by X Navy Seal »

My apologies to MTG if my post was not civil. I am just relatively tired of people discussing this topic. It has been beaten to death a hundred times.

Hey Digby, nice hat. You look pretty tough in that thing.
Saddletank
Reactions:

Post by Saddletank »

Think of fatigue in the game as not just tiredness but unit cohesion (or if you prefer, regiment disorganisation, the title of this thread) then consider what a units cohesion would be like after crossing numerous obstacles, running or crossing broken ground or fording streams.

That is why fatigue should be high for doing certain stuff.

You can take a simple factor like fatigue (tiredness) and use it in ways to represent other factors that affect a units willingness or ability to come into close combat.

I also don't beleive that giving a man a rifled musket made him any more deadly than a man with a smoothbore musket, nor allowed him to hit targets at greater ranges. The ACW was essentially the same kind of battlefield as the Napoleonic wars, with combats at similar ranges and with similar (or possibly less) deadliness. Melees were equally rare on Napoleonic battlefields, other than (very brief) cavalry fights.

What stops men coming into hand to hand combat with other men is not so much bullets hitting them but the actual fear of hand to hand fighting. It is far easier to inflict hurt on someone from a distance than it is to do so face to face (the internet is proof of that and the same psychological process is at work as that which affects humans on battlefields).
Last edited by Saddletank on Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HITS & Couriers - a different and realistic way to play SoW MP.
Davinci
Reactions:

Post by Davinci »

If the purpose of this topic is about having Norb to change the game, I hope that the changes are for the Multi-Player game, and not so much for the Single Player game.

By, increasing the fatigue of the units, and also by applying a heavy movement penalty, I might see one melee in maybe forty-fifty games.

The MinEnemy – also seems to keep the units from fighting!

So, the current settings are fine as far as I’m concerned.

Now, if this is only related to the Multi-Player game, I don’t really care what changes you guys come up with!

davinci
The only true logic is that, there is no true logic!
NY Cavalry
Reactions:

Post by NY Cavalry »

The battlefield is a dangerous place. Fighting at a distance is better than fighting at close quarters.

In the civil war it was very dangerous to charge a battery, but infantry men did it. Why would men charge a battery knowing the dangers? What is more amazing is that it happened a lot. Maybe the infantry man was tired of sitting under artillery fire and waiting. I have read that it was a hard thing to endure an artillery barrage. Maybe that is why it was better to charge the guns than just sit under its punishment.

If infantry cannot successfully attack a position with artillery because of fatigue then fatigue has gone too far the other way. I find it hard to attack positions especially with artillery with current stock fatigue. I will argue that GCM fatigue is more realistic and more playable.

I also will argue that this game is good at historically representing a civil war battle. The more that historical situations are followed the more playable the game will be. This is my own personal opinion.

I could be wrong. I would like to see fatigue and disorganization treated separate because they are. I see no need to manipulate fatigue in order to find a dis organizational element.

Again, it is my own opinion.
Willard
Reactions:

Post by Willard »

My apologies to MTG if my post was not civil. I am just relatively tired of people discussing this topic. It has been beaten to death a hundred times.

Hey Digby, nice hat. You look pretty tough in that thing.
You crack me up. You insult MTG and me and only apologize to him. Then after saying your post isn't civil you go insult Digby.

:blink:
X Navy Seal
Reactions:

Post by X Navy Seal »

I am sorry to you too Willard if you were in fact really insulted - lol. I just figured that by this point you had learned to not take me too seriously while MTG still might.

As for Digby, I cannot really say that I am sorry. I think that he offers his opinions on far too many things that he thinks that he is an expert in when in fact he knows next to nothing.
Blaugrana
Reactions:

Post by Blaugrana »

Time for a poll on Seal's behaviour / manners ?