Custers Last Stand

This is where our experts try to teach you the very flexible modding system for our previous release - SOW Gettysburg and its add-ons. It's powerful, but dangerous. Post your tips and your questions.
mcaryf
Reactions:

Re: Custers Last Stand

Post by mcaryf »

Hi Martin

I have started to get familiar with the game and would very much like to have a look at your Mod. The link you provided in an earlier post does not seem to be working. Might it be possible to post a new one or give me some other mechanism to try it if you do not want to make it generally available just yet.

The UK Custer association only meets every 6 months and the next one is July 4th so I would like to have enough time to rig up something I could use in a demo for them for that event otherwise it would have to wait until 2016.

Regards

Mike
Martin James
Reactions:

Post by Martin James »

Hi Mike

I'm working on a new version, which I should have ready sometime this week. Drop me a PM with your email, and I'll send you a dropbox link.

I live in the UK too, and didn't even know there was a Custer Association which meets here! Very happy for you to use the mod there, and would welcome any feedback.

Martin (J)

PS re your previous email, your figures on Sioux firearms accord with my reading. And yes, a lot of army weapons were captured at LBH. Whilst that cannot be reflected in-game, it would certainly be possible to reflect it in scenarios which post-date LBH. In fact perhaps I should do that? Again it would need to be broad-brush, as the OOBs do not allow a 'mix' of specific weapons for a specific unit.
Last edited by Martin James on Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Martin James
Reactions:

Post by Martin James »

Posted twice by mistake. How do I remove this one please :blush: .
Last edited by Martin James on Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: duplicate
mcaryf
Reactions:

Post by mcaryf »

Hi Martin
I have PM'd you with my email.

There is a rather old Little Big Horn Wargame that is pretty primitive graphically although mildly entertaining to play - it allowed changes to warrior numbers, presence of Gatlings with Custer, more or less rifles with warriors, Brisbane's cavalry with Custer etc. I wrote a short paper to the developer telling him how it might be possible to create a strategic harness around it and that if his engine was slightly more flexible it could be used to resolve a variety of possible situations. I doubt he will do anything about it and your mod would actually have much more potential. The idea in the strategic harness was that the Indian Village could have moved (they had been intending to move upriver before the actual battle but their scouts found a large herd of Deer down river). Various possibilities being that they moved earlier either up or down river and so might have met Terry or Cooke, split up etc etc.

Regards

Mike
Martin James
Reactions:

Post by Martin James »

Got it Mike. Thanks.

The mod includes a number of alternate OOBs for both sides, so yes Custer might indeed have 'Grasshopper Jim' Brisbin with him. Or the Indians might meet up with Terry instead (with or without Custer). And there may or may not be an Indian village on the map.

Gatlings we cannot do unfortunately, as the game doesn't currently allow it. Maybe a more talented modder could work out how to do one for us? So in Terry's column I have used some weak artillery instead.

Martin (J)

PS what was the name of the boardgame btw?
Last edited by Martin James on Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mcaryf
Reactions:

Post by mcaryf »

Actually it was a PC DOS game that was updated to run on more modern versions called Custer's Last Command. You can probably find it on some Abandonware sites.

Regards

Mike
Martin James
Reactions:

Post by Martin James »

Actually it was a PC DOS game that was updated to run on more modern versions called Custer's Last Command. You can probably find it on some Abandonware sites.
Thanks Mike. I'll look it up.

Martin (J)
mcaryf
Reactions:

Post by mcaryf »

Hi Martin

I gave members of the Custer Association of Great Britain a very quick glimpse of your mod at their meeting in York last week. There was a lot of interest and I will probably do a full session on "Custer in War Games" at their next meeting which will be on Nov 7th in London. I will send you a copy of the programme when it is finalised.

Regards

Mike
Martin James
Reactions:

Post by Martin James »

Hi Mike

Glad to hear that. Yes please do, and also any feedback from your session in due course. If you need any help in putting it together (eg with a tailored OOB), do let me know.

Martin (J)