'True Ground SR1' - Scenarios & OOBs

This is where our experts try to teach you the very flexible modding system for our previous release - SOW Gettysburg and its add-ons. It's powerful, but dangerous. Post your tips and your questions.
Jolly
Reactions:

Post by Jolly »

This is a least an improvement ;)
Attachments
Vic06.jpg
Vic06.jpg (207.87 KiB) Viewed 365 times
Jolly
Reactions:

Post by Jolly »

A not too shoddy first attempt victory (but no cigar!).
A case of defending the first objective without suffering too many casualties. It does get a bit hard to shift them after that to the next objective, they are a bit weary!
The attachment 08.jpg is no longer available
David(jolly)
Attachments
08.jpg
08.jpg (245.98 KiB) Viewed 365 times
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

A not too shoddy first attempt victory (but no cigar!).
A case of defending the first objective without suffering too many casualties. It does get a bit hard to shift them after that to the next objective, they are a bit weary!
08.jpg
David(jolly)
For the first attempt that is an exceptional score, at least compared to my play-testing. Took me several attempts before I scored a victory, and then just barely. Took me at least a couple more plays before the MV I posted to happen. The main snag with this scenario is to maintain enough troops, well over the minimum of 200, to eventually activate and hold the second objective long enough to reach the MV bar.

Good Generalin' Sir!:)
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
Jolly
Reactions:

Post by Jolly »

Thats mighty fine praise indeed - thanks Reb.
Instead of charging the Confederate's regrouping position, I managed to occupy it and hold it to the end.
Maybe I got lucky!

David(jolly)
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

Thats mighty fine praise indeed - thanks Reb.
Instead of charging the Confederate's regrouping position, I managed to occupy it and hold it to the end.
Maybe I got lucky!

David(jolly)
Deservedly so, you earned it. Still, which cards the enemy AI plays is always a factor, but not always a deciding factor.

Unfortunately Chamberlain's charge is tough to pull off. The player has the option to charge the retreating Rebels, but as you noted before, fatigued and depleted troops don't charge well. Better to wait for your friendlies to wade in first, then support them as they do the charging.:whistle:
Jolly
Reactions:

Post by Jolly »

That's exactly what I did! :)
I noticed support coming and took advantage of that,

Great 'little' scenario.

David(jolly)
Jolly
Reactions:

Post by Jolly »

Hoorah! Glorious colour!

Another very close call - Seemed like it was all going so well, then the objective goes with about ten minutes left, and still short of about 200 points to win. What to do?

I figured maybe best to go for some weaker looking positions to the left of the rebel assault on Little Round Top.
The attachment 04.jpg is no longer available
David)jolly)
Attachments
04.jpg
04.jpg (311.6 KiB) Viewed 365 times
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

Hoorah! Glorious colour!

Another very close call - Seemed like it was all going so well, then the objective goes with about ten minutes left, and still short of about 200 points to win. What to do?

I figured maybe best to go for some weaker looking positions to the left of the rebel assault on Little Round Top.
David)jolly)
Yeah, this one's MV demands include charging and routing some enemy units. Trading musket volleys alone won't get you there given the time allowed.

Congrats on your colorized win!
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

Update version 1.46 May 29, 2020
- Addition of scenario GB2-03
- Eliminated the ‘End Screens’ graphics of scenarios 04-10 to reduce this mod’s bulk for attachment purposes.
- Make sure to download and install the latest update of True Ground Maps - Gettysburg - The Big Picture, Version 2.1 Update - May 21, 2020. It includes the ‘End Screens’ graphics of scenarios 04-10. Without this update, any scenarios listed above that are played will crash the game upon End Game.
Last edited by RebBugler on Sat May 30, 2020 6:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

GB2-03_July2-3rd Arkansas, Thru the Rose Woods (C-Regt)

Length of Play: 45 minutes

Command: Colonel Van Manning, commanding the 3rd Arkansas Regiment

Situation: After marching in circles most of the afternoon to deceive the enemy of our intentions we have finally arrived at our destination. As previously ordered, we are about to move forward with our division stepping off en echelon. Our position in the division line will lead us through several fields then into some dense woods. Enemy cannons roaring at the edge of those woods will definitely have infantry support. But first, we must deal with some pesky skirmishers in our way to the real fight...The fight waiting in the Rose Woods.

Mission: Secure all objectives as you fight through the Rose Woods.

Gameplay: Available objective point total 2700, so 300 engagement points are also necessary for a Major Victory. A minimum of 200 troops are required to activate all objectives.

Forces Available:
Colonel Van Manning, commanding the 3rd Arkansas Regiment, Robertson's Brigade, Hood's Division, I Corps, Army of Northern Virginia under Lieutenant General James Longstreet

3rd Arkansas Regiment, Colonel Van Manning
Company A 'Arkansas Travelers'
Company B 'Berlin Beauregards'
Company C 'Confederate Stars'
Company D 'Selma Rifles'
Company E 'Champagnolle Guards'
Company F 'Hot Spring Hornets'
Company G 'Three Creeks Rifles'
Company H 'Orphan Company'
Company I 'Tulip Rifles'
Company K 'Ashley Volunteers'

Regiment strength: 478 troops and officers

The Third Arkansas Regiment was the first Confederate regiment of Lee's en echelon attack the second day of Gettysburg to enter the battle and begin the fighting...Of what would become the most intense three hour fight of the Battle of Gettysburg.

One second left...
Barely hung on, another hit from one of Smith's guns, in the background near the Union regiment in line, and my MV would have been a goner.
3rdArkansas1.jpg
3rdArkansas1.jpg (510.54 KiB) Viewed 351 times
This one took a while to develop, much testing and tweaking to make it historic, competitive, and winnable, hopefully translating to immersive fun...which was for me, eventually.:)
3rdArkansas2.jpg
3rdArkansas2.jpg (393.72 KiB) Viewed 351 times

***Biographical Information***

The 3rd Arkansas Regiment was formed in June 1861. They were the first long-term regiment from Arkansas, enlisted to serve "for three years or the war." Arriving in the east in the summer of 1861 the 3rd compiled an impressive battle record. In the fall of 1862 the regiment was reassigned to the famed Texas Brigade. Colonel Vannoy Manning, an Arkansas lawyer and one of the founders of the regiment, commanded the 3rd at Gettysburg.

On July 1863 the Texas Brigade was part of the first wave of Longstreet's attack on the Union Left. The 3rd Arkansas formed in the woods on Warfield Ridge just north of the Emmitsburg Road. Moving across the road they headed toward Rose woods and an unseen Union line. Moving uphill after crossing Rose Run the westerners discovered the Union line. Three Union regiments, the 86th NY, the 20th Indiana, and the 99th Pa. crested the wooded hill and poured out a devastating volley. Near the center of the 3rd's line a large rock formation provided as both an obstacle and a relief. Manning advanced, retreated and advanced again to the ledge. For at least an hour the 3rd Arkansas engaged in a desperate fire fight in the Rose woods.

Outnumbered severely and fighting uphill the Arkansans took nearly 40% casualties before the Union regiments could be pushed off the Ridge. While directing the advance Manning was struck in the face by shrapnel near the rock formation that now bears his name. He returned to lead his regiment who stayed on indeed, "for the war" until only 150 men surrendered at Appomattox.

Here we see the 3rd Arkansas at the ledge at about the midpoint of the battle. Colonel Manning is in the center directing the advance. The Union forces in the smoky distance are the 20th Indiana and the 86th New York. These units took over 250 casualties from their 650 men who fought that day in Rose Woods.
Manning's Ledge Gettysburg.jpg
Manning's Ledge Gettysburg.jpg (286.54 KiB) Viewed 351 times