Courier Question?

Davinci
Reactions:

Re: Courier Question?

Post by Davinci »

Davinci wrote:
This would be a prefect example of detaching units to guard the cross-roads, to insure that the supply wagon made it up to the vicinity of the fighting, but it arrives along with everyone else.
I guess that begs the question, how did supply wagons move historically?
I have always been under the impression that it was something like Cavalry \ Infantry \ Artillery \ Supply Wagons \ Rear Guard .

Or - Infantry \ Artillery \ Supply Wagons \ Rear Guard .

Now, I’m well aware that I don’t want a Hundred-Supply-Wagons following the Infantry around on these maps, but I’m pretty sure that they didn’t move at the same speed as the Infantry.

davinci
The only true logic is that, there is no true logic!
con20or
Reactions:

Post by con20or »

when an AI controlled unit runs out of ammo, does it send a supply request? or just go looking for the nearest wagon...i seem to remember its the latter.
Davinci
Reactions:

Post by Davinci »

when an AI controlled unit runs out of ammo, does it send a supply request? or just go looking for the nearest wagon...i seem to remember its the latter.
I'm not sure which Ai you are referring to, a part of your Army, or the Ai pertaining to the enemy.

Since all of my units are usually under my control they will seek out the Supply Wagon, when they are out of ammunition.

The enemy (AI) will usually do the same thing, there are some instances when they will attempt to reform and walk back to the battle-line when they are out of ammunition.

But, I have seen less issues with this after the last patch.

You do know that the New Patch V1.3 is out, correct?

davinci
con20or
Reactions:

Post by con20or »

yes, although haven't installed it yet. i didnt see anything in the changelog about that though.

What i meant was if the unit is not TC'd, and it runs out, or is running low, does it send a message to the overall commander (you) saying so. there is that option in the courier menu if i remember rightly.
Davinci
Reactions:

Post by Davinci »

Does it send a message to the overall commander (you) saying so. there is that option in the courier menu if i remember rightly.
One of the Team Memebers will hae to answer that question, I have never received any message stating that our ammo is running low from anyone.

davinci
f1simracer
Reactions:

Post by f1simracer »

Is it possible to stagger the names on the courier screen?
So it would be easier to find the corps commander and others.
I'm not sure what you mean by stagger but in order to change the order of the units on the courier screen, you would have to change their order in the OOB... I think.. I've never tried this but I believe they are listed just as they are in the OOB.
i think what he means (ive seen it mentioned before) is to indent names on the courier screen, so ranks can me more easily identified. So Army commaner would be right at the LHS, corp indented one space, division, two, brigade 3 etc. At present they are difficult to distinguish without reading down looking for the correct rank.

Edit : Sorry, just saw he had already replied. Can you delete a post?
This is exacting what I asking.
Thanks
Little Powell
Reactions:

Post by Little Powell »

yes, although haven't installed it yet. i didnt see anything in the changelog about that though.

What i meant was if the unit is not TC'd, and it runs out, or is running low, does it send a message to the overall commander (you) saying so. there is that option in the courier menu if i remember rightly.
They will go looking for an ammo wagon.
Davinci
Reactions:

Post by Davinci »

Example 2 - as a division commander, you choose to move yourself to a position, you then click on the formation you want your division to take on arrival. All brigades start moving instantly.

What should happen in this case, courier should leave you and go to each brigade commander, the same time delay issue above, where the further the unit, the longer it takes to get the order.

Short summary - At present, in certain situations orders are executed immediately and couriers are not spawned.
A work-around to this does work and a courier will be sent by the Divisional Commander . It does require a little bit of clicking on your part.

Example:

A Divisional Commander – commanding four brigades – and you want him to send out a courier to each brigade leader.

Make sure that the Divisional Commander is Un-Take-Command

Now, Take Command of all of the brigade leaders.

Once the courier arrives at the Divisional Commander – he will dispatch four couriers , one for each one of the brigade leaders. It doesn’t matter if they are scattered across the map.

Now, before the courier arrives Un-Take-Command of all of the brigade leaders, and they will move once the courier arrives.

This appears that there is a lot of clicking that has to be done, but if you use the Divisional Commander to Take Command of everyone(each Brigade Leader), and then Un-Take-Command of everyone, it is quite simple.

davinci
Last edited by Davinci on Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
con20or
Reactions:

Post by con20or »

Nice find Davinci,

If thats all you need to do to get it to work, then it mightn't be too hard too implement it properly?? Seems like the code is already there, just something stopping it with the TC bit.

It's a bit awkward at the minute, but ill see what happens performance-wise with some division and corps manouvers after an explosion of couriers
Last edited by con20or on Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
con20or
Reactions:

Post by con20or »

Note - something is up, im not getting the option to include images. Hope they show up properly.

Note 2 - The arent, thumbnails only, sorry.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I gave this a look and took a few screenshots to explain things better.

Image 1 - TC'ing all brigade commanders in one division. Courier bonanza. This step will hopefully be eliminated.

Then ordering two division commanders to two seperate locations. Two couriers only at first.

Division commander sends courier to each of his brigade generals (i have no image of this) but brigade generals spawn couriers for each regiment - see image.

And most importantly of all, while division one is all action heading to the destination, division two is going nowhere, because the courier for it hasn't got there yet.

This is exactly how things should go, but obviously we dont want to have to TC every brigade, send orders, then un-TC them. So....the code is working, but seems like something just needs to be switched to go when not TC'd rather than when TC'd.

After all, when units are TC'd, we dont need couriers going to them, this was something that has been bothering everyone since 1.2, receiving orders that you had just sent to a unit you were commanding.

One point - courier route is even more frustrating here, because division 2's couriers went the long way around, instead of across a field, multiplying their journey distance by about 10.

Really nice find Davinci - seems like its very close. This will completely change courier play and make it far more realistic.
Last edited by con20or on Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.