First Impressions

Let's talk about the issues in converting the SOW engine to handle Waterloo. Ideas, suggestions, feature requests, comments.
Little Powell
Reactions:

Re: First Impressions

Post by Little Powell »

EDIT: SoW:WL is probably the finest depiction of the Waterloo battlefield outside of the best academic book - and maybe including the books. It really feels right. I was galloping around Frischermont, Pappelotte and La Haye last night (perhaps the most neglected and least-documented area of this critical battlefield) and I was delighted at the buildings, houses, woods and streams that seem exactly right. I think this area of the field is now my favourite location.
Yeah, that's my favorite part of the battlefield too.. :)

And if you haven't yet, be sure to check out Ferme du Caillou to the south--Napoleons last headquarters.

Thanks so much for the feedback. That makes everything we do worthwhile.
Last edited by Little Powell on Fri Jun 12, 2015 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IronBMike
Reactions:

Post by IronBMike »

I noticed also that you included Wellington's tree (the tree he stood under during the battle), which is a very nice detail that not everyone would notice.
Knowing it should be there I specifically went looking for it. Pleased to see its planted in a fixed position.

What I noticed about the ground north-west of La Haye Sainte is the team have used the correct ORIGINAL 1815 ground contours before the Dutch-Belgian Lion Mount memorial bulldozed so much critical soil off that ridge in the 1820s.

Going down to HITS level its scary how steep and high that ridge is. Wellington sure chose a superb position to hold, it's more obvious in the game than the ground is today.

You can really sense the mountain that Ney's cuirassier charge and the Moyenne Garde had to climb.

EDIT: SoW:WL is probably the finest depiction of the Waterloo battlefield outside of the best academic book - and maybe including the books. It really feels right. I was galloping around Frischermont, Pappelotte and La Haye last night (perhaps the most neglected and least-documented area of this critical battlefield) and I was delighted at the buildings, houses, woods and streams that seem exactly right. I think this area of the field is now my favourite location. It has a mood and atmosphere all its own. It does credit to the brave Nassau brigade that defended it all day.
Yes indeed, and that high ground to the west of La Haye is land that I always avoid. I always, always strike to the east. At least back in WNLB, but I don't think I'll change now! Like that other poster said, there is serious artillery fire concentrated there and it is just a murder zone because of the elevations and position. It's a shame (for Napoleon) that his attacks veered off in that direction rather than to the east.
CWGII -> SMG -> SMA -> WNLB -> ANGV -> TC -> TC2M -> SOW
IronBMike
Reactions:

Post by IronBMike »

EDIT: SoW:WL is probably the finest depiction of the Waterloo battlefield outside of the best academic book - and maybe including the books. It really feels right. I was galloping around Frischermont, Pappelotte and La Haye last night (perhaps the most neglected and least-documented area of this critical battlefield) and I was delighted at the buildings, houses, woods and streams that seem exactly right. I think this area of the field is now my favourite location.
Yeah, that's my favorite part of the battlefield too.. :)

And if you haven't yet, be sure to check out Ferme du Caillou to the south--Napoleons last headquarters.

Thanks so much for the feedback. That makes everything we do worthwhile.
Y'all do an awesome job B)
CWGII -> SMG -> SMA -> WNLB -> ANGV -> TC -> TC2M -> SOW
Greek
Reactions:

Post by Greek »

As a long term player of all Scourge of War games my first impressions of Waterloo are pretty good. Credit has to go to the developers for shipping it in a very stable form, a depressingly rare feat in the gaming industry these days.

I do like the new pop up box that appears next to a unit when you are giving it commands, although it does take a little to get used to. I can see that after using this mechanism it would be hard to go back to the older system. However, the brown bar on the bottom of the screen isn't so great, I find the different icons all very similar and not immediately clear what they represent, I don't feel like it's easy to read in the heat of battle.

Hard to use USA's landscape today. In the 1800's 80% of NH was clear (for farming). Today, 80% of NH is forest. No need for the large amount of local farming.

The compose order screen is also a big improvement and a lot clearer than it was before.

The new sprites for the regiments look great, particularly the variation in uniforms. I also like the way regiments and arty line up neatly now in line.

One complaint is that I feel like the maps looks comparatively bland compared with ACW maps. I know however that is the reality of the Waterloo battlefield, lots of empty, wide open green spaces.

I think the game needs some minor improvements, but all in all I'd say you guys have done an amazing job.
Generally speaking almost all "European battles" were like that. forests and fields were avoided as much as possible.

Doing miniature wargaming, making awi and acw battlefields are much cooler then napoleonic or 7yw ect. You can "clutter" the table with streams, wheat, corn, snake fances, stone fences, lots of woods ect. It looks lush and prestine. Making the carnage about to happen all the more grousome!
Yep because cavalry was used much more in battle so the combatants preferred open land. Plus, European lands have been cultivated as farmland/grazing for centuries and centuries so lots of land is cleared, whereas even today in the US most terrain is broken terrain (at least not in the Great Plains).
con20or
Reactions:

Post by con20or »

I think you missed some text there Greek.
RandSW
Reactions:

Post by RandSW »

Sorry to blow my own horn here, but here is my (screenshot-heavy) preview of Waterloo:

Scourge of War - Preview at Real and Simulated Wars

This game blows my mind.

Cheers,

RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

Excellent web page, very nice screenshots and professional descriptions of the game and gameplay. Thanks from all of us at NSD, promos like your's are priceless, literally. ;)

Thanks personally for displaying the Grog toolbar with some of the shots. Please check the info in Modifications when selecting it in the future as some buttons were missing. Also the floating toolbars are moveable, and I believe handier when situated right above and lined up with the main one. Plus, they show better there for promos I believe, but that's obviously your call.

Much Appreciated Sir! :)
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
Davinci
Reactions:

Post by Davinci »

RandSW - Excellent ScreenShots!

Also, a very good introduction of the features that are presented in the game!

davinci
The only true logic is that, there is no true logic!
sweeteye
Reactions:

Post by sweeteye »

I like this Waterloo game a lot.I have not held a very favorable view of most computer wargames for many years.I am more of a tabletop player with dice to roll. The games produced by Norbsoft Development have been an exception to the rule for me.The Waterloo graphics are great and the AI seems to work very good.Like some others I am having a bit of difficulty getting units to charge but I believe I just need to get used to the control system.One thing I wish is that creating maps was easier.I have no idea how to even start making one,though I was able to with the TC2M game.At any rate, keep up the great work.
Last edited by sweeteye on Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
26th Ohio Light Artillery
Sons of Union Veterans
Jean Lafitte
Reactions:

Post by Jean Lafitte »

My first impressions of the game are most favorable. Thanks very much for this game.