Custers Last Stand

This is where our experts try to teach you the very flexible modding system for our previous release - SOW Gettysburg and its add-ons. It's powerful, but dangerous. Post your tips and your questions.
Davinci
Reactions:

Re: Custers Last Stand

Post by Davinci »

1. Is there any way of preventing units moving, apart from the two I mentioned (unitglobal and drills)?
2. Do routing units move, at a set speed, regardless of normal speed settings in unitglobal?
1) I don’t think so due to the fact that the default game isn’t programmed around this idea.
2) I think that they move at the speed of double-quick, but that’s guessing!
Or, they move at the speed that you have listed for the run speed.
(b) Try and persuade some kind soul to make me a travois unit. That way the tepee could convert to that whenever it moves. And if it routed, it would be like any other routing unit, and wouldn't look odd. A bit like stationary guns and moving limbered guns having a different sprite.
Hmm, I wasn’t aware that the units changed into a different formation when routing!
(c) Amend the OOBs. At the moment I give the camp units very low morale and a headcount of 1. Despite this, I don't actually think that they rout very often, as any casualties will destroy them. To be on the safe side, I could increase morale to the maximum as well. I doubt this would make any difference to gameplay, and should minimize the risk of routs caused by damage to neighboring units. This is obviously a very easy change to make, and I think I will do it anyway.
I think that the routing will occur not from the individual unit but the units as a whole. It’s higher than fifty percent but lower than sixty precent…..My Guess!
Frankly, the answer is probably whatever you can live with without sacrificing the particular gaming experience which works for your group. :)
True!

Martin – Your idea probably can still work, I’m just not exactly sure how to make it work at the moment.

The biggest problem is the potential routing of the units, once that’s solved….well…..it’s solved!

I was trying to think of a way of never having the casualties go above fifty-percent, such as never having all of the units from that particular unit involved in the fight.

That would solve the routing problem.

But, does Open Play use the hide feature, or would the hide-feature even work in this case?

Still Thinking!
EDIT Post
Here is a picture of a tent that I stole from the net, I didn't do a very good job with the branches, but I'm not that good with editing!
The attachment 1A.jpg is no longer available
davinci
Attachments
1A.jpg
1A.jpg (203.51 KiB) Viewed 354 times
Last edited by Davinci on Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Adding a Picture
The only true logic is that, there is no true logic!
Martin James
Reactions:

Post by Martin James »

Many thanks Crikey and Davinci. It's just these sort of thought-provoking ideas and suggestions that I am looking for.

Have been a bit tied-up this weekend, but will respond hopefully tomorrow.

Martin (J)
JohnVW
Reactions:

Post by JohnVW »

also, I tried playing MP a few min ago...and could not, through the lobby at least...too many instances of "battledef.ini"?? any idea what this means? (thanks)
Last edited by JohnVW on Mon Mar 23, 2015 5:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Marching Thru Georgia
Reactions:

Post by Marching Thru Georgia »

You have activated more than one mod that has modified the file battledefs.ini. The KS Nappy mod does that. You'll need to turn off the other(s). You should only have three mods on, Road To Wagram, KS SOW Supplemental Maps and KS Napoleon Mod. You can also use the more smoke mod if you like.
I can make this march and I will make Georgia howl.
JohnVW
Reactions:

Post by JohnVW »

but martin had posted me that only Courrier&Maps (along with LBH obv) should be "on"?
Marching Thru Georgia
Reactions:

Post by Marching Thru Georgia »

For the LBH mod, only Courier&Maps has a battledefs.ini file. You must have another mod switched on that also contains the file.
I can make this march and I will make Georgia howl.
JohnVW
Reactions:

Post by JohnVW »

no, there was no other mods on...
Martin James
Reactions:

Post by Martin James »

Hi John

I'm scratching my head here. MTG is right that there is no battledefs.ini file in the LBH Mod.

You could try just enabling LBH alone. It should still work, although you'll miss MTG excellent mini maps and some other fairly minor enhancements to the stock game.

Suggest you do that and see what happens.

Good luck.

Martin
Martin James
Reactions:

Post by Martin James »

Ok. A lot to catch up on here. Thanks again to Crikey and Davinci, who as ever are the soul of helpfulness. I'll start with Crikey......
Frankly, the answer is probably whatever you can live with without sacrificing the particular gaming experience which works for your group. :).
Yes indeed. We're trying to push the game in directions it was not intended to go. It's a tribute to the flexibility of the design that we get as far as we do. But there sometimes need to be trade-offs.
In terms of a moveable campsite which can be hunted down - you probably are best sticking with a slow moving horse based arrangement. Far less complicated. A travois or pack horse sprite would work well.

You could have a horse based sprite for movement which defaults to a teepee when standing still. Easy enough to allocate in the csv. However this might work best if the transition from one to the other is delayed significantly Almost like a battery unlimbering/limbering. Gives the hunter time to close. Not sure how easy this would be to set up. Suspect more trouble than it's worth.

I wonder if traits used for batteries might suit you better. They can be captured after all.. Make them toothless by allocating relevant stats or ammo types.
Agreed. A delay would be good, and your battery analogy seems right, although it would have taken more time to dismantle and pack a tepee and contents, I suppose. Funnily enough, in another mod I use the artillery mode for lines of horseless wagons representing depots, so I should probably do that here too. Some of us played an ACW game yesterday using that.
Routing in this instance is probably more trouble than it's worth too.You could consider two options - capture whereby the captured sprite disappears on capture. Think this option is used for batteries in the nap mod currently. Or adjusting the stats so surrender triggers much earlier, if that can be done for individual units. It'll then disappear soon after.
Yes these are possibilities. Visually (and I suppose historically) it would be nice to have the burning remains of a tepee as a substitute sprite, rather than disappearance.

Martin (J)
Martin James
Reactions:

Post by Martin James »

Martin – Your idea probably can still work, I’m just not exactly sure how to make it work at the moment.

The biggest problem is the potential routing of the units, once that’s solved….well…..it’s solved!

I was trying to think of a way of never having the casualties go above fifty-percent, such as never having all of the units from that particular unit involved in the fight.

That would solve the routing problem.

But, does Open Play use the hide feature, or would the hide-feature even work in this case?
I don't think I've explained very well how the Indian camp works. It consists of a 'division' within the OOB, which includes 'brigades' of non-combatants (which don't concern us here) and wagons. A wagon brigade consists of 10-12 'regiments'. But each regiment consists of only one wagon sprite, with a headcount of just 1 in the OOB. So any casualty at all will destroy it. So I think the only risk of routing is from seeing nearby units rout. Emphasis on *think*.

What you normally see in the game is a horseless wagon with one figure hovering nearby. When it takes casualties it is effectively lost, and you then just see the wagon with a corpse nearby.
Here is a picture of a tent that I stole from the net, I didn't do a very good job with the branches, but I'm not that good with editing!
1A.jpg
That's brilliant. Just the right size and design! But can we turn it into a unit sprite? All I know is I can't :sick:

Martin (J)