TC2M & the Frustrating Flags

General Question/Answer/Announcement about NSD. We are a small independent game development team and we value our community. If you ask, we'll answer.
Kerflumoxed
Reactions:

Re:TC2M & the Frustrating Flags

Post by Kerflumoxed »

Good evening,

I realize that I am coming into the flag discussion late but "might" have some information from a publication entitled: "Designation Flags of the United States Army, 1861-1865" originally published in 1887 that might prove useful. These were prepared under the direction of the QM Dept. I was fortunate in acquiring an original copy although, sadly, it is in a very sad condition.

As previously noted, the 3rd Corps, 2nd Division flag was blue with a white diamond. The 1st division was white with a red diamond and the 3rd division was white with a blue diamond.

Each division was divided into 4 brigades, each designated with trangular flag with the base color the same as the division. For example, the flags of the 4 brigades of the 2nd Division all had a white diamond on a blue field. The 1st Brigade flag had no other decoration. The 2nd Brigade flag had a red border on staff side. The 3rd Brigade had a red border on all three sides. The 4th Brigade had red, circular-bases in each of the three corners.

The Head Quarters flag was a blue swallow tail with a white diamond. Centered on the diamond was a red "3". The artillery flag was a red triangular flag w/white diamond.
Jack Hanger
Jack Hanger
Fremont, NE
[/size]
"Boys, if we have to stand in a straight line as stationary targets for the Yankees to shoot at, this old Texas Brigade is going to run like hell!" J. B. Poley, 4th Texas Infantry, Hood's Texas Brigade
Kerflumoxed
Reactions:

Post by Kerflumoxed »

PS: The book contains color plates of all the corps, armies, etc. If this would be of any value please feel free to contact me.

Jack Hanger
Fremont, NE
Jack Hanger
Fremont, NE
[/size]
"Boys, if we have to stand in a straight line as stationary targets for the Yankees to shoot at, this old Texas Brigade is going to run like hell!" J. B. Poley, 4th Texas Infantry, Hood's Texas Brigade
tim
Reactions:

Post by tim »

Jack

You'll be pleased to know the graphics for all corps, division and brigades have been done. Baring any disasters they should appear in game. The book we used for reference was The Battle Flags of The Army of Potomac at Gettysburg by James Beale - available on google books free I beleive.

Tim
Last edited by tim on Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Amish John
Reactions:

Post by Amish John »

tim wrote:
Jack

You'll be pleased to know the graphics for all corps, division and brigades have been done. Baring any disasters they should appear in game. The book we used for reference was The Battle Flags of The Army of Potomac at Gettysburg by James Beale - available on google books free I beleive.

Tim
Tim - that's terrific. Can't wait to see them. Good work.
You can get farther with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone.
Kerflumoxed
Reactions:

Post by Kerflumoxed »

tim wrote:
Jack

Tim
Thanks for the info!

Went to Amazon but couldn't find any reference to this book/pamphlet. I did find it on the net after a Google search and it appears to be a copy of the Designating Flags to which I had referred in an earlier post.

It will be Grand for the Army of Republic to flying the old flags! Congratulations to all the folks involved in this historical detail! Huzzah!

Jack Hanger
Fremont, NE
Jack Hanger
Fremont, NE
[/size]
tim
Reactions:

Post by tim »

You can thank Jim - he's the man into the history. Originally has only had the US and Reb flag. Then I was asked to do Union state flags, then Divisional flags and finally brigade flags - I think if we had planned them all from the start I may have said 'you must be joking - how many flags??!! Does anyone actyually carry a rifle in the Union army or do they all just carry flags :blink: . I have however now acquired an in depth knowledge of Union flags which will come in useful one day I'm sure :silly:

The book is available in a digital version online I beleive - it was puiblished back in 1870ish. Jim maybe able to provide the link.

Of course I still beleive you lot should still have the one flag - Union Jack

bedbug
Reactions:

Post by bedbug »

.....and do I detect a whiff of Waterloo? :laugh:
Joshua l.Chamberlain
Reactions:

Post by Joshua l.Chamberlain »

Well I'm pleased about the flags.
"There stands Jackson like a stone wall! Let us be determined to die here and we will conquer!"
-Brig.Gen. Bernard Bee, Henry House
Kerflumoxed
Reactions:

Post by Kerflumoxed »

bedbug wrote:
.....and do I detect a whiff of Waterloo? :laugh:
Nah....a whiff of New Orleans would be more in order, I believe! :woohoo:

Here is the site for the flags:
http://books.google.com/books?id=ugkTAA ... t&resnum=1

This was compiled in 1885. The book I referred to in an earlier post contains this same set of flags and also includes EVERY Corps including the Department of the Cumberland. It would appear from this book that the AoP Corps flags were different than the Corps that were not part of the eastern army. The 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th*, 5th, 6th**, 7th, 8th, 9th**, 10th 11th, 12th, 16th, 18th, 19th, 20th*, 22th, 23rd*, 24th, 25th, AoP Cavalry Corps, AoP Artillery are the ones depicted in the Beale book and the hard cover book I have. (*Denotes duplicate Corps in AoP and Army of Cumberland; ** denotes a fourth division with green trim.)

The 4th, 14th, 20th**, 21st, Cavalry Command flags are shown for the Department of the Cumberland.

Non-army designated include a second set of the 14th (with an acorn - neither in the AoP), 15th, 17th, 19th "Previous to adoption of Ensignia (sic) of Corps G.O. number 17, Feb. 18, 1863", 23rd, Department of West Virginia, Cavalry Corps of the Military Division of the Mississippi, First Veteran Army Corps, and various "Badges" such as Wilson Cavalry Corps.

Now, the next question is, "How many of these ever saw service and, if so, at what point in their history do they appear?"

Jack Hanger
Fremont, NE
Jack Hanger
Fremont, NE
[/size]
Chamberlain
Reactions:

Post by Chamberlain »

Hey Tim,

Very good looking Sprite !!!

Reminds me of the Sprites you created for CWBR & TC2M !!!

Awesome !!!!!

Chamberlain
-Col. Joshua Chamberlain, 20th Maine

We cannot retreat. We cannot withdraw. We are going to have to be stubborn today