Courier Question?

RebBugler
Reactions:

Re: Courier Question?

Post by RebBugler »

But just like anything else, if enough people are requesting a change, a change will be considered regardless of what I think.
...or what I think, or, even what Norb thinks. If enough folks want a feature, and it won't break the game, it generally gets added. If it's more of a gameplay thing, it's added as an option, for the game must retain the historic standards it's built for...recreating battles to relive or change history, under the Player's leadership.

Lots of folks want volley fire, but it borders on breaking the game, leaving troops helpless unless micromanaged. Still, it will probably be ushered in eventually because of the demand. Guess that's how TC on the regimental level got in...demand, because I think that, at present, is the most unrealistic facet of the game...for it definitely leaves troops helpless unless micromanaged.

D's request is valid, just depends on the size of his bandwagon on whether it will be considered.
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
con20or
Reactions:

Post by con20or »

What a great bunch of developers, honestly.

Where is the best place to make an application for something to be fixed/included. As far as I'm concerned, the lack or couriers when giving orders to large groups is something that really bothers me, and I would love to see fixed.

I mentioned it above.

http://www.norbsoftdev.net/index.php?op ... =124#33543

If you're going to be loking at couriers anyway maybe I could get this included?
Little Powell
Reactions:

Post by Little Powell »

Which issue are you referring to? I see a couple of things.

Can you summarize them here?
f1simracer
Reactions:

Post by f1simracer »

Is it possible to stagger the names on the courier screen?
So it would be easier to find the corps commander and others.
con20or
Reactions:

Post by con20or »

Ill try and summarize (i hope you were talking to me!!)

At a certain level (division and up) when you give a move order to the commander (or when you order a move as that commander), using either the courier menu or the movement map the courier method of play does not get applied.

Units all start moving simultaneously, even though they should not have received the orders yet.

Example 1 - as a corps commander, open movement map, click anywhere, all division and brigade commanders start moving instantly to the specified location. This can be applied to any commander.

What should happen in this case is courier goes from you to each division commander. Courier then goes from division commander to each brigade commander, then each brigade commander starts moving. the further the brigade/divisin commander, the longer it should take them to get the message, the later they should start moving.

Example 2 - as a division commander, you choose to move yourself to a position, you then click on the formation you want your division to take on arrival. All brigades start moving instantly.

What should happen in this case, courier should leave you and go to each brigade commander, the same time delay issue above, where the further the unit, the longer it takes to get the order.

Short summary - At present, in certain situations orders are executed immediately and couriers are not spawned.
Last edited by con20or on Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Little Powell
Reactions:

Post by Little Powell »

Is it possible to stagger the names on the courier screen?
So it would be easier to find the corps commander and others.
I'm not sure what you mean by stagger but in order to change the order of the units on the courier screen, you would have to change their order in the OOB... I think.. I've never tried this but I believe they are listed just as they are in the OOB.
Last edited by Little Powell on Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Little Powell
Reactions:

Post by Little Powell »

Ill try and summarize (i hope you were talking to me!!)

At a certain level (division and up) when you give a move order to the commander (or when you order a move as that commander), using either the courier menu or the movement map the courier method of play does not get applied.

Units all start moving simultaneously, even though they should not have received the orders yet.

Example 1 - as a corps commander, open movement map, click anywhere, all division and brigade commanders start moving instantly to the specified location. This can be applied to any commander.

What should happen in this case is courier goes from you to each division commander. Courier then goes from division commander to each brigade commander, then each brigade commander starts moving. the further the brigade/divisin commander, the longer it should take them to get the message, the later they should start moving.

Example 2 - as a division commander, you choose to move yourself to a position, you then click on the formation you want your division to take on arrival. All brigades start moving instantly.

What should happen in this case, courier should leave you and go to each brigade commander, the same time delay issue above, where the further the unit, the longer it takes to get the order.

Short summary - At present, in certain situations orders are executed immediately and couriers are not spawned.
I think I understand... Why did I ever get involved with these blasted couriers.... :laugh:

In other words, when you are issuing an order to your entire unit (full division move, full division orders stance, full division use roads etc.) the order is executed immediately with no couriers sent. I'll look into adding it to the list.
Marching Thru Georgia
Reactions:

Post by Marching Thru Georgia »

con20or wrote:
Of course they move immediately, the toolbar and movement map are being used, not the courier system. Those devices were designed for instant communication. If you write orders to each brigade to have them form up to the left and right of you, they will not move until the courier delivers the message.
I can make this march and I will make Georgia howl.
born2see
Reactions:

Post by born2see »

Marching Thru Georgia wrote:
Of course they move immediately, the toolbar and movement map are being used, not the courier system. Those devices were designed for instant communication. If you write orders to each brigade to have them form up to the left and right of you, they will not move until the courier delivers the message.
Maybe they should be disabled like the camera in Grog mode or the Courier messages generated automatically. More work for Norb undoubtedly. Just a thought...
Last edited by born2see on Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Those in whose judgment I rely, tell me that I fought the battle splendidly and that it was a masterpiece of art.” - George McClellan to his wife describing the battle of Antietam
Little Powell
Reactions:

Post by Little Powell »

con20or wrote:
Ah good point. I think you're correct.