Did Lincoln Start the Civil War?

Marching Thru Georgia
Reactions:

Re: Did Lincoln Start the Civil War?

Post by Marching Thru Georgia »

BraxtonBragg wrote:
So if someone came into your garden with threats to kill you and your family
You would let them!!????
Nope. But then again I wouldn't invite such a consequence by trying to defend slavery.
I can make this march and I will make Georgia howl.
KG_Soldier
Reactions:

Post by KG_Soldier »

RebBugler wrote:
Yep, ya put lipstick on a pig and call em' an EVIL REBEL...got all the CS avatars goin'
That was the plan. I can't avoid the temptation to watch the southern revisionist tie themselves in knots while trying to defend the indefensible. It's wonderful live theater.
Think the eventual point came across...evil slavery, and I can agree here, just don't appreciate Yanks, or anyone, labeling the southern cause as evil.
Judge for yourself. Declaration of Causes of Secession
Those 4 states wrote their reasons for rebelling. A word count for slave or slavery yields 83 occurrences. Do the same for the confederate constitution and you will find the 'peculiar institution' mentioned 10 times. The US version has 2 mentions of the word.

To paraphrase a distinguished southern philosopher, F. Gump: Evil is as evil does.
After Sharpsburg, it was legal to own slaves in the North but not in the South. So. . . was Lincoln evil?
Braxton Bragg
Reactions:

Post by Braxton Bragg »

That was the plan. I can't avoid the temptation to watch the southern revisionist tie themselves in knots while trying to defend the indefensible. It's wonderful live theater.
Really! I should have thought that someone such as yourself having been given the Title Moderator
Would have kept away from Flame wars, Maybe Norb should rethink his choice, It is not
your Job to inflame CSA avatars, these people are Norbsoft Customers not to be wound up
by you...

Braxton Bragg
There will always be a counter argument!
Armchair General
Reactions:

Post by Armchair General »

It isn't correct in the slightest to say that the terrible casualties in the war did not bother Lincoln, Grant, or Sherman. Lincoln was terribly distressed to see places like the Soldier's Home and other hospitals. Grant could not bear the sight of blood, stemming from his early days in a tannery but continuing throughout the war, and Sherman was a soldier's general; he cared for them, and tried to avoid fighting as much as possible. His soldiers knew he had them at heart, and knew that when he called them to battle, it was an absolute necessity.
Now we are engaged in a great civil war, testing whether that nation, or any nation so conceived and so dedicated, can long endure.
KG_Soldier
Reactions:

Post by KG_Soldier »

Really! I should have thought that someone such as yourself having been given the Title Moderator
Would have kept away from Flame wars, Maybe Norb should rethink his choice, It is not
your Job to inflame CSA avatars, these people are Norbsoft Customers not to be wound up
by you...

Braxton Bragg
Well. . . this is pretty civil compared to most conversations on this subject.
Marching Thru Georgia
Reactions:

Post by Marching Thru Georgia »

by you...
1. I truly believe slavery is evil and there is no way to legitimize it.
2. The Lost Causers go to great lengths to try to minimize the role slavery played as the cause of the war. Those arguments are not supported by historical facts.
3. If you are inflamed by the above, then you are playing a loosing hand. I, myself am very entertained.
4. Who did I flame?
I can make this march and I will make Georgia howl.
Braxton Bragg
Reactions:

Post by Braxton Bragg »

Look at some of the people who have commented they are not happy
I am used to this sort of argument, lol had many a fight on MMG Forum So did sarge :laugh:

I guess we southerners and you Northeners will always be worlds apart :S

Braxton Bragg
Armchair General
Reactions:

Post by Armchair General »

Look at some of the people who have commented they are not happy
I am used to this sort of argument, lol had many a fight on MMG Forum So did sarge :laugh:

I guess we southerners and you Northeners will always be worlds apart :S

Braxton Bragg

Bragg, we have been good friends since MMG, so I have no worries of inflaming each other. And correct me if I am wrong, but don't you live in the UK? 'We southerners' threw me for a loop.
Now we are engaged in a great civil war, testing whether that nation, or any nation so conceived and so dedicated, can long endure.
Braxton Bragg
Reactions:

Post by Braxton Bragg »

I support and love all southern things, there ways, there style and way of life, there Country side

I have read and studied there History and fallen in love with the South, since i were 15 years old
Nothing gives me more pleasure than to be A british/French Sympathiser and an honorary Memeber
Of the Southern states.
I have many friends from Tennesse,Missisipi,kentucky and South Carolina.
I am thefore and Honuary memeber of The South, thefore A Confederate :)

We at Home Fly the Battle Flag on special days, friends of like minded thoughts join us for a great day of Southern Music and war talk.

We aslo have our own Civil war reenactments
all over the Uk, Soldiers wearing Blue and Soldiers wearing Grey

The American Civil War Society is History Alive!

http://www.acws.co.uk/

Braxton Bragg
Last edited by Braxton Bragg on Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chris G.
Reactions:

Post by Chris G. »

Don't worry Bragg "we southerners" (i am from and do live in the south) are glad to have ya ;)