First Impressions

Let's talk about the issues in converting the SOW engine to handle Waterloo. Ideas, suggestions, feature requests, comments.
MacDonald
Reactions:

Re: First Impressions

Post by MacDonald »

As a long term player of all Scourge of War games my first impressions of Waterloo are pretty good. Credit has to go to the developers for shipping it in a very stable form, a depressingly rare feat in the gaming industry these days.

I do like the new pop up box that appears next to a unit when you are giving it commands, although it does take a little to get used to. I can see that after using this mechanism it would be hard to go back to the older system. However, the brown bar on the bottom of the screen isn't so great, I find the different icons all very similar and not immediately clear what they represent, I don't feel like it's easy to read in the heat of battle.

The compose order screen is also a big improvement and a lot clearer than it was before.

The new sprites for the regiments look great, particularly the variation in uniforms. I also like the way regiments and arty line up neatly now in line.

One complaint is that I feel like the maps looks comparatively bland compared with ACW maps. I know however that is the reality of the Waterloo battlefield, lots of empty, wide open green spaces.

I think the game needs some minor improvements, but all in all I'd say you guys have done an amazing job.
con20or
Reactions:

Post by con20or »

The UI and toolbars will be easily modded - even I am looking forward to seeing what people come up with :)
Xreos1
Reactions:

Post by Xreos1 »

It is a pleasure to see a game released on time and with so few problems.

Good job!

When my complaints list is this small on day one you can take bow.

Check High Scores CTD

Grog toolbar not yet optimized for other resolutions (I KNOW this will be fixed)( My native resolution is 1600x900 hint hint)

Still on a learning curve with the new destination fly out; 2 problems, icon size (see above ) and the light green arrow is a bit difficult to easily see for my 'senior' eyes. ( i.e. I'm an old fart )
con20or
Reactions:

Post by con20or »

Thanks XREOS:)

It seems the high scores CTD might be linked to the grog toolbar.

Persevere with the new UI - it is worth it. We went through numerous evolutions of the destination arrow - we even had a red/blue/white fleur-de-lis but the green arrow is what most team members liked best. To be honest i don;t know if that is moddable or hardcoded.

Glad you like the game.
Trilogy
Reactions:

Post by Trilogy »

Please read the info on the right side of the Modifications screen when you select the NAME, not just the box.
Oops. Sorry. I didn't scroll down far enough.
IronBMike
Reactions:

Post by IronBMike »

Y'all did an awesome job! I did one sandbox campaign and a few battles. The game looks great and seems to play well. I just need to get a handle on cavalry and charging the correct target. Any tips on this?

I also hope that the sandbox campaign is greatly expanded, i.e. add in supply lines and a way to march to any road location, not just towns, and it will be greatly improved! Also the ability to give subordinates orders (all out attack, attack, defend, hold to the last, probe, screen, etc) on the campaign map.

IMO the campaign map is really a huge new feature to the gaming world and will be the future.

Campaigns on the Danube is an excellent game model for this.
Last edited by IronBMike on Wed Jun 10, 2015 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CWGII -> SMG -> SMA -> WNLB -> ANGV -> TC -> TC2M -> SOW
con20or
Reactions:

Post by con20or »

I just need to get a handle on cavalry and charging the correct target.
From what I remember they just go for the closest, so get your cav unit flag close to the desired target unit before hitting charge. Or just charge through everyone in your way :evil:
IronBMike
Reactions:

Post by IronBMike »

From what I remember they just go for the closest, so get your cav unit flag close to the desired target unit before hitting charge. Or just charge through everyone in your way :evil:
Yeah it's just that sometimes with lots of units around, targets switch constantly and it's difficult to line up the correct one. Any way to get manual targeting like WNLB had?
CWGII -> SMG -> SMA -> WNLB -> ANGV -> TC -> TC2M -> SOW
mike1984
Reactions:

Post by mike1984 »

So when's the CW mod going to be ready? ;)

Seriously though, this game has exceeded expectations. Thank you to everyone on the team.
con20or
Reactions:

Post by con20or »

Yeah it's just that sometimes with lots of units around, targets switch constantly and it's difficult to line up the correct one. Any way to get manual targeting like WNLB had?
WNLB?