Custers Last Stand

This is where our experts try to teach you the very flexible modding system for our previous release - SOW Gettysburg and its add-ons. It's powerful, but dangerous. Post your tips and your questions.
Martin James
Reactions:

Re: Custers Last Stand

Post by Martin James »

Much obliged old chum.

Martin
Saddletank
Reactions:

Post by Saddletank »

The required vertical screen res (in pixels) for the Large Couriers & maps version is 1024, not 1032.
HITS & Couriers - a different and realistic way to play SoW MP.
Martin James
Reactions:

Post by Martin James »

Whoops!
Crikey
Reactions:

Post by Crikey »

Martin - here's the 3D object from the TCM2 Chattanooga mod. I had to do a basic re-skin/cut down the number of textures as SoW doesn't seem to recognise multiple textures for 3D objects. If someone can do this better, cool.

Note - You'll need to add to your .dat file for the map and place these within it as separate objects. I assume someone involved in your mod knows all this so I'll leave it at that.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/dthdu ... H-Tent.rar

Last edited by Crikey on Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Marching Thru Georgia
Reactions:

Post by Marching Thru Georgia »

I think what Martin is looking for are tepee sprites so they can be easily moved to different locations for replay-ability.
I can make this march and I will make Georgia howl.
Crikey
Reactions:

Post by Crikey »

Oh, well. Leave it be. ;)
Davinci
Reactions:

Post by Davinci »

I think what Martin is looking for are tepee sprites so they can be easily moved to different locations for replay-ability.
Crikey's - Sprite can still work if the picture of the tepee is cropped and placed on a blank-sheet with an Alpha-Channel.

It would work just like the trees and the crops and could be positioned at different sections of a map by editing the mapname.bmp file.

davinci
The only true logic is that, there is no true logic!
Martin James
Reactions:

Post by Martin James »

First of all thanks to Crikey for the tepee. Also to Davinci who sent me something offline.

The mod is designed to be used in primarily in sandbox mode.

You choose the army force you want to play eg Custer's 7th Cavalry, Terry'/Gibbon's Montana Column, Crook's Wyoming Column. You set sandbox for random enemy. The Indian force you face is one of a number of 'corps' strength formations of widely differing strength and attitude. You have no idea which one will be picked.

This has several advantages. You can play on any map. Even the host in MP (or SP) doesn't know exactly where the enemy will be, in what strength, or how aggressive the Sioux will be. Exactly the unknowns faced by Custer at the Little Bighorn.

The Indian 'camp' at the moment is represented by wagons for want of anything better. So rather than placing lots of tepees on the map, as we would for a building, what I need is a unit sprite of a tepee. Does that make it clear?

Can Crikey's tepee be used as a unit sprite? That would be really good, if so. Then once I've included them into unitpack and unitmodel, all I have to do is create a new unit class in unitglobal, and substitute it for the wagon class in my OOB.

Martin (J)
Last edited by Martin James on Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: typo
Davinci
Reactions:

Post by Davinci »

The Indian 'camp' at the moment is represented by wagons for want of anything better. So rather than placing lots of tepees on the map, as we would for a building, what I need is a unit sprite of a tepee. Does that make it clear?

Can Crikey's tepee be used as a unit sprite? That would be really good, if so. Then once I've included them into unitpack and unitmodel, all I have to do is create a new unit class in unitglobal, and substitute it for the wagon class in my OOB.

Martin (J)
Martin - This is a rough cropped job, but something on the line of what you are asking, basically taking the sprite from Crikey and using it as a sprite .

But, I replaced the cornfield in this example for tents, I'm not exactly sure how you would use them as a unit without having the tepee move across the battlefield.
The attachment Tent1.jpg is no longer available
davinci
Attachments
Tent1.jpg
Tent1.jpg (173.5 KiB) Viewed 211 times
The only true logic is that, there is no true logic!
Crikey
Reactions:

Post by Crikey »

As Davinci's says, If all you want is a 1 dimensional sprite then find a picture of a real wigwam on the net. Crop it and add an alpha channel. You can do the same for cooking or skinning frames, pots, pony herds etc. Pack them up and deploy as terrain sprites.